• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland @ Valpo - Sunday 2/8/15, 2PM CT

Started by covufan, February 06, 2015, 11:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

I have posted a gallery at the following link with more than 30 of my photos from the Oakland game for all to enjoy. Some of the images seem to be inviting captions (including Bryce when he almost got a technical with a couple of minutes left in the game) if anyone has an inspiration during this opening in the schedule before the Green Bay game.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157650307758760/

talksalot

Thanks Pal... great photo of Connie Felten (and son Michael) hard to believe Connie's in her 90s!

wh

Putting message board trash talking aside for the moment, we were looking forward to watching Felder play in person yesterday and he certainly didn't disappoint. He's impressive on so many levels and really fun to watch.  One thing some of us were wondering is he a prospective NBA player, or is he simply too short at 5-9?  Not really interested in researching NBA rosters, but just thought someone might know. 

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2015, 06:21:52 PMSome of the images seem to be inviting captions (including Bryce when he almost got a technical with a couple of minutes left in the game)

After looking at the expression on Bryce's face--check out the expression on Coach Powell's face. I'm thinking he's thinking "Am I really going to have to restrain Bryce from going after a ref?"

Mighty close to a second Bryce technical. Is #9 going to be used on the over/under thread?

And the look on Max's face in the second photo="Oh no he didint"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: classof2014 on February 09, 2015, 08:07:55 AM
Chances are the students didn't come out for this one was the day and time of the game. 2 on a Sunday afternoon isn't a great time for students as Sunday is a big study day, usually. If the game was 7 on Saturday night there would've been a big turnout among students. Also watching the game I noticed the ARC was full but seemed rather quiet. I'm guessing this had something to do with the matinee as well. It always seems like the crowds are quieter for an early game than a late game.

Oh come on, if you are a true fan, you are able to plan around 2 hours on a Sunday to study.  Good lord, the excuses we make for the students nowadays!  I have said it many times, that if you can't tackle being a full-time student, and if you are a sports fan, attending major events in area such as this game, then you are going to have major issues balancing a 'real world' schedule.  Spoiled young people, used to sitting on their couch and not communicating with the outside world in person anymore :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on February 10, 2015, 01:48:16 AM
Chances are the students didn't come out for this one was the day and time of the game. 2 on a Sunday afternoon isn't a great time for students as Sunday is a big study day, usually. If the game was 7 on Saturday night there would've been a big turnout among students. Also watching the game I noticed the ARC was full but seemed rather quiet. I'm guessing this had something to do with the matinee as well. It always seems like the crowds are quieter for an early game than a late game.

Oh come on, if you are a true fan, you are able to plan around 2 hours on a Sunday to study.  Good lord, the excuses we make for the students nowadays!  I have said it many times, that if you can't tackle being a full-time student, and if you are a sports fan, attending major events in area such as this game, then you are going to have major issues balancing a 'real world' schedule.  Spoiled young people, used to sitting on their couch and not communicating with the outside world in person anymore :).

Sadly I think the crowd that showed up are the true fans of the team. I full expect the student section to be full on Friday, but it'll be because it's an "event" and ESPN is going to be there. We'll have the guys who paint their chest to get on TV who will be there and we'll have the people who heard "Oh this is going to be crazy, ESPN is going to be there" so they'll show up just to see the spectacle of the ESPN crowd.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

I never said they were the real fans... That was the reason why the student section wasn't full on a Sunday afternoon. At least there were students there but I don't think the students view Oakland as a rival. I agree most students just show up when its popular. I do wish more cared about the basketball team.

I even went so far as emailing a final to a professor to watch them play IPFW a few years back...

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2015, 08:32:22 AM

I never said they were the real fans... That was the reason why the student section wasn't full on a Sunday afternoon. At least there were students there but I don't think the students view Oakland as a rival. I agree most students just show up when its popular. I do wish more cared about the basketball team.

I even went so far as emailing a final to a professor to watch them play IPFW a few years back...

I'll one-up you - I was at the CIT debacle against Iona. One of maybe 5 other students in the student section. My last attended game as a student :(

classof2014

Quote from: a3uge on February 10, 2015, 08:54:11 AM

I'll one-up you - I was at the CIT debacle against Iona. One of maybe 5 other students in the student section. My last attended game as a student :(

I was one of the five other students then... That game was painful to say the least... I thought that was the breakout game for Jay Harris, I was wrong as well.

Talk about a team collapse down the stretch, they were in control of their own destiny after beating Butler. Went to Green Bay lost in OT, after Howard Little missed an easy layup at the end of the game I believe. The team checked out after losing to Milwaukee, a senior laden team that never made it to the promise land, they were all done. At least the Rowdy crew didn't fold like the 10-11 team did.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2015, 09:30:18 AM

I was one of the five other students then... That game was painful to say the least... I thought that was the breakout game for Jay Harris, I was wrong as well.

Talk about a team collapse down the stretch, they were in control of their own destiny after beating Butler. Went to Green Bay lost in OT, after Howard Little missed an easy layup at the end of the game I believe. The team checked out after losing to Milwaukee, a senior laden team that never made it to the promise land, they were all done. At least the Rowdy crew didn't fold like the 10-11 team did.

There's a saying, "Always remember to polish the backs of your shoes because it's the last thing people see as you walk out the door."

As impressive a dresser as Cory was, I just can't get out of my mind the negative impression he left with those unpolished shoes on his way out the door.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2015, 11:24:15 AM

There's a saying, "Always remember to polish the backs of your shoes because it's the last thing people see as you walk out the door."

As impressive a dresser as Cory was, I just can't get out of my mind the negative impression he left with those unpolished shoes on his way out the door.

Are you referring to him getting drunk at Duffy's the night before?

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2015, 08:32:22 AMI agree most students just show up when its popular. I do wish more cared about the basketball team.

In a recent show of hands from my freshmen students, I was pleasantly surprised that most had been to a game this season. Only one (of about 15) was at the Oakland game.  A couple mentioned they were asleep - maybe one after a late night, the other after Sunday services at the Chapel

I barely remember the days when I could sleep until noon, let alone past noon!

But, yeah, not _serious_ fans.  Still, I'll take a ground swell of casual fans.  Maybe it's like the birth of a star, and out of a big clump of casual fans a core of more serious stuff forms.  (One could wax poetic here about bursting forth into light, or starry light, or into nuclear fire, etc.)

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on February 09, 2015, 09:16:11 PM
Thanks Pal... great photo of Connie Felten (and son Michael) hard to believe Connie's in her 90s!

Don't forget Lois!  But, absolutely, a great photo from a great set.  And Connie's definitely something else.  We always enjoy watching her at games.

govalpogo

I believe Rogers missed a wide open layup and rebound.  Howard fell down leading to a travel in some late game situation also.  I too was one of those 5...thank you gentlemen for bringing up that awful series of memories.  The home loss to Loyola, however, in the penultimate game of the season was the angriest I've ever been at a sporting event (at the team I was cheering for).  It's because of that season that I occasionally post things like "what if Valpo loses out?" because I will not get my hopes that high on the backs of college students ever again.   

hailcrusaders

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 10, 2015, 08:04:17 AM

Sadly I think the crowd that showed up are the true fans of the team. I full expect the student section to be full on Friday, but it'll be because it's an "event" and ESPN is going to be there. We'll have the guys who paint their chest to get on TV who will be there and we'll have the people who heard "Oh this is going to be crazy, ESPN is going to be there" so they'll show up just to see the spectacle of the ESPN crowd.

This is very true. As with most fan bases, you'll have a core group of diehards that show up to every game, and then the more casual, ESPN chasers. I, for one, was actually expecting fewer students than did in fact show up on Sunday.

One thing we are missing is a Butler-esque opponent consistently on the schedule that everyone has circled on their calendar,  although that ties more into the scheduling issue.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

While we're at it, why were there only 5 students for this Iona CIT debacle a few years ago? Student presence was at least in the double digits for the Columbia game last year...
#CrusadersForever

swiftmutiny

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 10, 2015, 02:23:50 PM
While we're at it, why were there only 5 students for this Iona CIT debacle a few years ago? Student presence was at least in the double digits for the Columbia game last year...
As one of the "five" students at that game (come on now, there were at least eight of us), I don't remember there being any buzz at all on campus. Nobody had heard of the CIT or Iona, so nobody was interested. That 20 point butchering at home to Loyola a few weeks prior, which I believe was the last home game before spring break, probably didn't help either.

LaPorteAveApostle

the CIT Iona Fandom Endurance Badge
is hereby awarded to

1) swiftmutiny
2) govalpogo
3) a3uge
4) classof2014
5) _________

we now have 80% of the student section there here and active...i'm guessing the 5th was like kerrywoodwins20.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

sorry I can't even take credit for it... I was not available... and Dick Harlan did the game for me at the PA.  One of 8 games I've missed in 28+ years.... and the only one VU lost.

aevans12

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 10, 2015, 04:52:47 PM
is hereby awarded to

1) swiftmutiny
2) govalpogo
3) a3uge
4) classof2014
5) _________

we now have 80% of the student section there here and active...i'm guessing the 5th was like kerrywoodwins20.

I was there...for the second half. So does that leave a half a person still?

wh

Quote from: aevans12 on February 10, 2015, 05:13:14 PM
is hereby awarded to

1) swiftmutiny
2) govalpogo
3) a3uge
4) classof2014
5) _________

I gotta tell you. All kidding aside, this is a pretty cool story. The 5 hardcore students at that game are now hardcore adult supporters and veteran board members. Did any of you know each other then, or now?

a3uge

Actually, I don't think the student section was THAT bad for the CIT game, but the rest of the ARC was brutally empty. I remember getting there 15-20 min early for a good spot... before we walked in a friend that was working on the event staff told us that NOBODY was there and that they only sold 300 tickets beforehand. I told him that it was still early... But nobody showed up.

I think the guy that wore the orange shirt and yelled a lot was there. That guy was pretty awesome.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2015, 05:27:19 PM
Quote from: aevans12 on February 10, 2015, 05:13:14 PM
is hereby awarded to

1) swiftmutiny
2) govalpogo
3) a3uge
4) classof2014
5) _________

I gotta tell you. All kidding aside, this is a pretty cool story. The 5 hardcore students at that game are now hardcore adult supporters and veteran board members. Did any of you know each other then, or now?

Connecting internet personalities with real life personalities? I'd rather keep them separate. I'd hate for people to find out my grammar is as that bad in speaking as is as bad in written text.

swiftmutiny

Haha, I'm not sure who any of the others are, but I'm sure I would recognize them in person.