• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UWGB @ Valpo, Friday 2/13/15 6:00 CST tip ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 09, 2015, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamelord

I thought that the refs were on green bays side the whole game.

usc4valpo

A few observations:

I thought both games were interesting to watch.  The defense in the Valpo-GB game was outstanding - it reminded me of Marquette back in the 70's.  Valpo played well enough and out powered GB on the boards - that was obviously the difference. I think Coach Drew needs to find a way to reduce the turnovers and define scenarios the team should be more patient - again that's easy for me to say while I am sipping coffee and loathing to clean the house...

Detroit - Cleveland State was a pretty exciting game, and an amazing shot by JH jr. pulled out the squeaker.  The last drive by Cleveland State was well planned but the shot could not go down. 

Valpo is first in the Horizon, but they have some tough challenges ahead. It will be interesting to see how they handle UWM after such a big win.

usc4valpo

I hope he stays for four years at Valpo and has a decent overall experience. He is one tough dude.

wh

Quote from: gamelord on February 14, 2015, 09:20:53 AM
I thought that the refs were on green bays side the whole game.

As everyone probably recalls one of the points of emphasis last season was to allow more "freedom of movement" for the player with the ball.  No more hand checking, no more riding the player with your body, hip checking, extended knees, etc.  Early season games were a foul-fest until players adjusted, which they eventually did. HL teams that suffered most from the change were the ones that historically had made a living with that kind of stuff - mainly Wright State, Cleveland State and Green Bay. Unfortunately, little by little officials started loosening up once again on all the body riding until we were basically back where we started.  Teams like GB have taken full advantage and have reverted to 40 minutes of mugging their opponent in full view of 3 officials who have long since given up the ghost of enforcing more "freedom of movement." 

As a result, scoring is down again, which defeats the whole purpose of "freedom of movement."  Teams like GB win close games they might not otherwise win.  Last night, we were able to overcome it because pound for pound we are bigger and stronger than they are.  That said, there were times last night when I sat there thinking I've never seen anything like this. It was nothing short of a 40-minute mugging.  Bryce was constantly complaining to the officials, but to no avail.  The encouraging part from a Valpo standpoint is that we had the size, strength and talent to overcome it, whereas most HL teams can't.  That said, I hate it and I always will.  This is not basketball as it should be played IMO.

classof2014

This was an ugly, ugly, ugly game to watch. Lot of turnovers by both teams. There's a reason why GB and Valpo are 1 and 2 in defense both teams never quit. The difference in the game was Valpo's ability to make shots. Even though we only attempted 7 shots from 3 we still have guys who can get to the rim and score. Tevonn is making a very strong case for FoY award. 20 points last night, including some crucial FTs down the final stretch. Without Tevonn this team is not 23-4 and 12-2 in conference play.

Alec with another quiet double-double, shut down in the first half, scores 12 points in the second including, I think 10 consecutive points, about a third of the way through the second half that happened to be the deciding run of the game.

I know Sykes sat much of the second half out with a wrist injury, if its major, it can easily make it a two team race between us and CSU. One thing to note this was the first time in nearly 40 consecutive conference games that Sykes didn't reach double-figures. He looked off all night, I know he suffered an injury but even before that he didn't seem in sync.

classof2014

Also if Alec's numbers were equal in the first half as they were in the second he would've finished with 24 points and 20 rebounds!

valpo4life

What makes Sykes so good in the Horizon is that he can rise up and finish almost over everyone, as most teams in the league don't really have much rim protection. Besides us. We have Vashil. So when he is able to get around our perimeter defense (which was very tough on him), he can't go straight up towards the rim. He's having to try and draw contact or finish over Vashil's long outstretch arm. We have the players to make it a rough night for him. Whereas other teams in the league don't.

justducky

Quote from: gamelord on February 14, 2015, 09:20:53 AMI thought that the refs were on green bays side the whole game.
While watching in person I would have agreed with this. Watched almost the entire replay and now would rate their performance as excellent. There were some gutsy no calls.
Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 10:50:57 AMAs a result, scoring is down again, which defeats the whole purpose of "freedom of movement."  Teams like GB win close games they might not otherwise win.  Last night, we were able to overcome it because pound for pound we are bigger and stronger than they are.  That said, there were times last night when I sat there thinking I've never seen anything like this. It was nothing short of a 40-minute mugging.  Bryce was constantly complaining to the officials, but to no avail.  The encouraging part from a Valpo standpoint is that we had the size, strength and talent to overcome it, whereas most HL teams can't.  That said, I hate it and I always will.  This is not basketball as it should be played IMO.
I largely agree but-------with next years returning size, speed, talent and depth I hope the NCAA does not try to address this "style of play" over the summer.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on February 14, 2015, 11:35:11 AMI largely agree but-------with next years returning size, speed, talent and depth I hope the NCAA does not try to address this "style of play" over the summer.
you're obliquely getting at something that is different about this team--we can play whatever style you want, and win at it.

We can win the 57-51 slugfests with WSU/CSU/WGB, and we can run up and down the court and blow you out 93-75 with Oakland/Murray St etc.  We can win games taking 7 shots behind the arc, and win games taking 30.

It's just impressive, and I think it bodes well for postseason--we can match up to play physical or finesse, as the situation requires.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: bombkicker on February 14, 2015, 07:52:52 AM
Very disappointed in the overall game of E. Victor Nickerson. Very weak ball handling skills and doesn't do much better playing on the ball defense. I don't care that Peters missed those last 2 FTS, he should never pass at the end of the game.

Nickerson played/plays great on ball defense. Sykes went 2-13 with 7pts, 2 assists and 3 TO. Nickerson was primarily guarding Sykes, and he did a great job of limiting his penetration. Can't really complain about his defense as he's been great all year covering for KC (our best defending guard).

After his best game of the year vs Oakland last week, he definitely took a step back offensively. 0 Assists, 5 TO is terrible. I thought we did a good job moving the ball in the second half, but overall our guards combined for 2 assists and 13 turnovers. Admittedly some of that is skewed due to the amount of fouls inside.

I'm just really anxious for Keith to come back. Max Joseph  overmatched, and Nickerson is too raw offensively. While Carter isn't the greatest ball handler, I think he does a good job commanding the offense. His conference efficiency numbers were the best on on the team before he went down, and we really need him back.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 14, 2015, 11:41:13 AM
Quote from: justducky on February 14, 2015, 11:35:11 AMI largely agree but-------with next years returning size, speed, talent and depth I hope the NCAA does not try to address this "style of play" over the summer.
you're obliquely getting at something that is different about this team--we can play whatever style you want, and win at it.

We can win the 57-51 slugfests with WSU/CSU/WGB, and we can run up and down the court and blow you out 93-75 with Oakland/Murray St etc.  We can win games taking 7 shots behind the arc, and win games taking 30.

It's just impressive, and I think it bodes well for postseason--we can match up to play physical or finesse, as the situation requires.

This is a great point. Is there a HL team that is a matchup problem for Valpo anymore? It seems like we're able to play decently in these slugfests by getting to the line, but also shoot well against the more finesse teams.

LaPorteAveApostle

I know you were wondering too.

First time in single digits 3FG attempts this year (previous low 10, twice).

Last time in single digits was last year's L @ WSU (9, only single-digit attempt on the year).

Low total during Everyone's Sr Year (12-13) was 12.  Same during Everyone's Jr Year.

10-11 was 8--only single-digit game.

2007-08 never had a game under 15.

You have to go all the way back to 2004, in the loss at Duke at the UC, to find a game with as many or fewer attempts:  6.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2004/12/04/duke-93-valparaiso-61

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

Green Bay's defense is impressive.    Good athletes who rotate so quickly    Alec is great on 3s.   Who else can hit them and open up room for him?    TeVonn looks good so maybe when KC comes back?........ he becomes weapon #2 outside?

classof2014

That's the difference between this team and the NCAA team of 2 seasons ago. They were a 3-point shooting team, if the shots weren't falling they had difficulty winning games, if they were falling they could beat just about anybody.

This Valpo team is much more athletic than past teams, Valpo is the strongest team in the league, can win in multiple ways. Valpo isn't a one-man show like many teams tend to be. Tonight Tevonn stepped up and had 20 and Alec had a big night as well especially in the second half. Every regular on this team has the ability to be that X-factor in order to win games. Last night it was Tevonn and Alec, against Oakland it was EVN and Skara, Detroit was Tevonn and Darien, etc... Once KC is back he is very capable of being that X-factor in games.

This team is gonna be very fun to watch over the next few seasons. Especially that we should have a healthy Lexus and KC for the season. The freshmen on this team are no longer freshmen, they don't seem to crack under pressure, they step up in the limelight and have gotten better in conference play which is very rare out of freshmen.

Next season we could easily have 3 first teamers: Alec, Tevonn, and KC. It'll be interesting to see if this team can take the next step and become the top-dog in the league and fill the shoes that were once filled by another Indiana team in the Horizon.

wh

My early prediction for the top 2 teams in the HL next season:

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Keith Carter 6-1 (HL 2nd team)
G - Tevonn Walker 6-1 (HL 1st team)
G - Darien Walker 6-3
F - Alec Peters 6-9 (HL POY)
C - Derrik Smits 7-0 (HL FOY)

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
G - E. Victor Nickerson 6-8
F - David Skara 6-8 (HL 2nd team)
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F - Chandler Levingston Simon 6-7
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

Note to Grizz: Please don't get your feelings hurt or take this as a slap in the face to your team.  It's just for fun.

Valpofan00

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 12:27:53 PM

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Darien Walker 6-3

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

Note to Grizz: Please don't get your feelings hurt or take this as a slap in the face to your team.  It's just for fun.

Platoon system? ;)

vufan75

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 10:50:57 AMLast night, we were able to overcome it because pound for pound we are bigger and stronger than they are.  That said, there were times last night when I sat there thinking I've never seen anything like this. It was nothing short of a 40-minute mugging.  Bryce was constantly complaining to the officials, but to no avail.

I agree with this sentiment, wh. I sat there and yelled and screamed about this same thing the whole game. I just want the refs to call the same type fouls at both ends, and it sure seemed like Green Bay was able to get away with much more than Valpo. As one example, once with 2 refs having a clear view of the play, in the 1st half as I recall, the GB defender clearly hip checked our player (chairback side at free throw line extended) and of course there was no call. Yet we would commit what I would call a touch foul and sure enough there was the whistle. We definitely did not get any home cooking last night. The only reason GB had more fouls called against them was their decision to foul every possession the last few minutes. We had 10+ fouls pretty early in the 2nd half I thought while they had 7/8, allowing GB to stop the clock and shoot free throws.

I'm just glad our guys hung so tough and won the game. But we also made it a bit harder on ourself than necessary by missing 5 of 6 free throws (I think?) later in the 2nd half. We make those and I think it might of been around a 10 point win. Hopefully as our young team gains more and more experience we will learn how to close out games better where we have a 15 point lead in the 2nd half, even against good teams. 

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 12:27:53 PMMy early prediction for the top 2 teams in the HL next season:

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Darien Walker 6-3

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7
Both of these teams are in need of vastly improved OOC scheduling so that their maximum potentials are tested and tuned for the 15-16 postseason. I think that Gold team could have at-large bid hopes all by themselves.  :thumbsup:  ;)

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 14, 2015, 11:41:13 AMIt's just impressive, and I think it bodes well for postseason--we can match up to play physical or finesse, as the situation requires.

One piece of me really wants to agree with you. 

But, another piece is nervous, "Can we really beat the big dogs at their own game?" Is that how upsets are made?  I'm sure there are other recipes.  But, I don't necessarily see a stable of guys that can rain down 3's, get streaky, and score a bunch of points.  I don't see, exactly, a group of guys that can go all fast break on you.  There are pieces of both.  And tough defense.  But, I guess, I'm worried that we're more of a "really impressive mid major" without necessarily that something extra it takes to have a good shot at pulling upsets. 

I hope I'm wrong, to be certain!  And, I'll work on broadening my mind, working out my imagination, to start to visualize this team beating top-15, top-25 programs.  I'm not quite sure what that winning game looks like.  Ideas?

a3uge

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Darien Walker 6-3

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

This could be one of the best defensive lineups in Valpo history:

Carter plays great on ball defense, Nickerson uses his length on and off ball... Tevon plays bigger than he is. Uses his athleticism to rebound well. Peters is strong enough for any HL forward in the post, and another 7 footer should be a great asset down low. Offensively this could be a disaster though.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 01:54:36 PM

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Darien Walker 6-3

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

This could be one of the best defensive lineups in Valpo history:

Carter plays great on ball defense, Nickerson uses his length on and off ball... Tevon plays bigger than he is. Uses his athleticism to rebound well. Peters is strong enough for any HL forward in the post, and another 7 footer should be a great asset down low. Offensively this could be a disaster though.

Why?  What do you mean?

agibson

Quote from: vufan75 on February 14, 2015, 01:03:01 PMWe had 10+ fouls pretty early in the 2nd half I thought while they had 7/8, allowing GB to stop the clock and shoot free throws.

It seemed like GB had about six pretty early in the second half, and then went a _long_ stretch without adding to the total.  I couldn't quite figure out what happened.  While Max Joseph was fouling out, and Vashil getting to four and sent to the bench (I didn't quite understand his indefinite bench stay; did they decide it wasn't his night? Were they really saving him for offense-defense rotation in the closing seconds?).

This is a game where one can very definitely _not_ look at overall foul differential as a sign of anything.  They fouled out... three? But only in the closing minutes.  It was pretty comical, at that phase of the game, the stuff they weren't calling.  Huge shirt grabs and the like.

The refs missed what, to those of us in EE, was a _really_ obvious foul call on GB against Vashil at the rim on the west end.  They were slapping him right on the hands at the rim, to no call.  My only hope for those refs is that, somehow, without our elevation the foul was mysteriously invisible.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 01:54:36 PMC - Derrik Smits 7-0 (HL FOY)

and another 7 footer should be a great asset down low.

I'll be pretty curious to see how much we'll miss Vashil next season.  I'm concerned that we'll miss him a lot more than some people seem to assume.

I've not tried to follow Smits closely, but isn't he meant to be more of an offensive presence than defensive? 

Vashil's _completely_ changed the game with his defensive abilities a number of times this season.  It'll be interesting to see how the team evolves once that presence is gone.

Or, perhaps, if Smits can fill some of those space currently covered by Vashil's long arms.

78crusader

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 12:27:53 PMMy early prediction for the top 2 teams in the HL next season:

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Darien Walker 6-3

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

While it would be great if all 14 of these guys showed up for the first day of practice next year, given the recent history of at least one unexpected departure per year (a situation not unique to VU), I think we better be prepared for an unanticipated transfer...or two. 

Paul

SanityLost17

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Darien Walker 6-3

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

Wow...   Great problem to have, but Bryce will have some tough decisions to make on playing time.  Lots of talented guys that will need/want their minutes.  If you have too large of a rotation, players can have problems getting into the flow of the game.  Perhaps a platoon system against lower quality opponents (5 minutes in and 5 minutes out) and cut the rotation to an 8 man rotation against the tougher teams.  Seriously, that 2nd platoon would have absolutely no problem holding their own.  3-4 of those guys are legit starter quality players!

Relvao needs to redshirt.  We do not need him right away and would learn a lot practicing with these guys all year and then having 4 years of eligibility.