• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UWGB @ Valpo, Friday 2/13/15 6:00 CST tip ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 09, 2015, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 01:59:42 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 12:27:53 PM
My early prediction for the top 2 teams in the HL next season:

#1 Valpo Gold
G - Keith Carter 6-1 (HL 2nd team)
G - Tevonn Walker 6-1 (HL 1st team)
G - Darien Walker 6-3
F - Alec Peters 6-9 (HL POY)
C - Derrik Smits 7-0 (HL FOY)

#2 Valpo Brown
G - Lexus Williams 6-0
G - E. Victor Nickerson 6-8
F - David Skara 6-8 (HL 2nd team)
F - Shane Hammink 6-7 
F/C - Jubril Adekoya 6-7

Others
G - Max Joseph 6-1
G - Nick Davidson 6-4
F - Chandler Levingston Simon 6-7
F/C - Daniel Relvao 6-9

Note to Grizz: Please don't get your feelings hurt or take this as a slap in the face to your team.  It's just for fun.

This could be one of the best defensive lineups in Valpo history:

G - Keith Carter 6-1 (HL 2nd team)
G - E. Victor Nickerson 6-8
G - Tevonn Walker 6-1 (HL 1st team)
F - Alec Peters 6-9 (HL POY)
C - Derrik Smits 7-0 (HL FOY)

Carter plays great on ball defense, Nickerson uses his length on and off ball... Tevon plays bigger than he is. Uses his athleticism to rebound well. Peters is strong enough for any HL forward in the post, and another 7 footer should be a great asset down low. Offensively this could be a disaster though.

Why?  What do you mean?

Hmm, maybe not if Smits is more of an offensive player. Nickerson is terrible offensively, but just looked at Tevons shooting numbers and they're actually a lot better than I thought, so were Carter's. This team should be good.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 02:41:32 PMNickerson is terrible offensively

But compare him to Erik Buggs!

Buggs did tremendous things for us.  But, it does say something, about how far we've come, I suppose, when Nickerson's an example (debatably, I might add), of "terrible" offense from the point guard spot!

classof2014

The only player that won't be back is Vashil. He isn't a big offensive contributor. Next year we'll have Lexus back along with KC as well as added experience for everyone currently playing. The offense is good now and will be good next season. I'm guessing our defensive numbers will drop a bit without Vashil but even in games that he hasn't played much our defense has been stellar. Overall I'm not worried at all.

Alec and Tevonn will likely be first teamers. KC and Darien both can score. Skara has shown the ability to score as well. This team is just gonna be better next year.

Let us not forget EVN isn't playing his natural position. Next year if both KC and Lexus are healthy I doubt he'll be running any offensive sets for Valpo.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2015, 02:44:21 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 02:41:32 PMNickerson is terrible offensively

Buggs did tremendous things for us.  But, it does say something, about how far we've come, I suppose, when Nickerson's an example (debatably, I might add), of "terrible" offense from the point guard spot!

Or Jake Diebler!

justducky

Quote from: 78crusader on February 14, 2015, 02:16:57 PMWhile it would be great if all 14 of these guys showed up for the first day of practice next year, given the recent history of at least one unexpected departure per year (a situation not unique to VU), I think we better be prepared for an unanticipated transfer...or two. 
Sure, but of the Brown and Gold there are only 2 players of which I might be concerned. We will have a theoretical top 50 at-large bid talent team from next years opening tip off. So make me a good argument for anybody wanting to forgo that chance so that they can redshirt elsewhere. Nobody in that top 5 should have any incentive or desire to leave. Williams and Skara might but would Lexus be granted an additional redshirt year if he transferred and would David want to jump to a better program and sacrifice a quantifiably known future here? Maybe Nick or Max or Chandler could leave, but finding replacements should be easier now than it ever has been in the past.

classof2014

I could see Nick leaving... He barely plays and I could see him transfer to a DII program where he would be a regular. Next season Valpo has the potential to be a top 25 type team. Who would want to leave a program that possibly could become the next mid-major powerhouse.

a3uge

While Buggs couldn't shoot, he still had a higher FG% and eFG% than Nickerson this year. Nickerson has a negative assist to turnover ratio, while buggs was +1.3. I don't think Buggs was ever a liability on offense whereas Nickerson you have to worry about his dribbling up court to beat a press.

StlVUFan

1. I don't honestly know whether the bad calls favored Green Bay or not.  I did see a few that went our way.  I think like most VU fans, I remember the ones that hurt us more than the ones that hurt the other team.

2. They missed a goaltend against GB on that one play where they called the foul and the Valpo player split the FTs (late in the first half).  Skara got fouled 3 times on that awkward looking layup he scored late in the first half.  They missed several others.  There were also a few calls that had the whole ARC in an uproar that were absolutely the right calls from my perspective.

3.  Sykes jammed his finger in the first half, which may have something to do with his ineffectiveness.  Of course the blow to the head on Wednesday could have also contributed, as someone mentioned.  Lexus Williams' Dad told me he thinks Sykes will go in the 2nd round.

classof2014

Quote from: a3uge on February 14, 2015, 03:03:08 PM

While Buggs couldn't shoot, he still had a higher FG% and eFG% than Nickerson this year. Nickerson has a negative assist to turnover ratio, while buggs was +1.3. I don't think Buggs was ever a liability on offense whereas Nickerson you have to worry about his dribbling up court to beat a press.

Towards the end of his senior year Buggs seemingly could take it to the rim and score whenever he wanted to. He was a great player and just was a terrible shooter. Like other's have stated he didn't turn the ball over and was a great defender as well. KC reminds me of a better shooting Buggs.

Let us not forget EVN isn't a PG, due to the injury situation he's our best option and he has done well. The team is 10-1 with him being our primary PG, he has been great defensively. He just doesn't have the vision of a PG, offensively. KC does, KC will be back sooner rather than later. I'm hoping it doesn't take him long before he's back to mid-season form. Scary that this team will only be stronger once he is back to 100% by the time the tourney comes around. Not many teams in the NCAA can lose their top two PGs at the beginning of their conference season and go 10-1 without them and the one loss being a 1 point loss on the road to one of the conference's best.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 14, 2015, 02:24:58 PMRelvao needs to redshirt.
I would think that would be an obvious solution to two problems--namely, the minutes crunch, and the fact that he is still so new to the game.

plus, the redshirt is a really important tool, because who among us was not more of a man at 23 than at 18?

however, we're getting a little ahead of ourselves.  and bryce hasn't shown any desire to redshirt people; not that his father was too fond of it before him.  he didn't even redshirt davidson.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 14, 2015, 03:10:03 PM
There were also a few calls that had the whole ARC in an uproar that were absolutely the right calls from my perspective.

For me that's part of the collective fan experience.  Sometimes it's "I can't believe you blew that call!"  Sometimes it's "How are you calling -that- when you let -that other thing- go?"  Sometimes it's just, "why are you doing something that's hurting my team? I don't like it when you do that!"

At least one part collective catharsis, and maybe part of earning the notorious home cooking.

That said, I may sometimes be annoying my neighbors in the bleachers ;). Hopefully there can be some dignified balance.

agibson

I don't think Buggs was ever a liability on offense whereas Nickerson you have to worry about his dribbling up court to beat a press.

You mean like em when he'd be left unguarded from what felt like 15 feet, and it felt like we were playing 4 on 5?  Talk about compressing the defense!

This got a lot better later in his career when he got better at slashing to the basket.

Earlier on, was he one of the crew who would drive in, get stuck, and turn it over? I lose track - it felt for a while like there were a whole series of guards with that pathology.

Again, don't get me wrong , I love Buggs!  But he played a lot of minutes before developing a reasonable offensive arsenal.

wh

Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2015, 03:40:22 PM
I don't think Buggs was ever a liability on offense whereas Nickerson you have to worry about his dribbling up court to beat a press.

You mean like em when he'd be left unguarded from what felt like 15 feet, and it felt like we were playing 4 on 5?  Talk about compressing the defense!

This got a lot better later in his career when he got better at slashing to the basket.

Earlier on, was he one of the crew who would drive in, get stuck, and turn it over? I lose track - it felt for a while like there were a whole series of guards with that pathology.

Again, don't get me wrong , I love Buggs!  But he played a lot of minutes before developing a reasonable offensive arsenal.

Yes, and don't forget the "swat-a-buggs" intentional foul strategy.  I distinctly remember the game that started that.  It was at the ARC against WSU.  We had what seemed like a fairly comfortable lead with 3 or 4 minutes left, and out of the blue Donlon started having his guys intentionally foul Buggs every time down the court.  He kept missing and they kept scoring.  I think Homer was still the coach then.  I honestly don't recall the final outcome of that game, but I think they completely wiped out the lead and we somehow pulled it out at the very end. It was after that that everyone we played started doing it.  Between his inability to hit free throws and other teams daring him to take a jump shot, I would say he was definitely an offensive liability at that point in his college career.  To his credit he worked very hard to overcome both handicaps and actually became a fairly decent shooter by his senior year.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2015, 04:04:03 PMWe had what seemed like a fairly comfortable lead with 3 or 4 minutes left, and out of the blue Donlon started having his guys intentionally foul Buggs every time down the court.  He kept missing and they kept scoring.  I think Homer was still the coach then.  I honestly don't recall the final outcome of that game
i'll take "name that VU game" for $400, alex.
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2010-11/10485/valpo-takes-tight-duel-against-wright-state/#.VN_WsObF-So

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/basketball-men/2010-11/boxscores_stats/mb26-wsu.htm#GAME.PLY
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Wasn't that the game that Duggins made a layup just after to buzzer that would've tied the game?

wh

Ah, yes, the dynamic duo of Duggins and Evans.  Those 2 guys were royal pains in the butt.  Didn't Duggins play for like 6 years, or did it just seem like it?

oklahomamick

The Green Bay blog is only 2 pages.  And half those are fighting amongst each other and nothing about the game itself. 

The Oakland blog has 8 post regarding the metro rivalry.  Only 8 the day before their biggest rival and a team that kept them out of the HL.
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Interesting conversation about Buggs and Nickerson.  I think we need to remember that Erik was a very aggressive defender and shut down many good guards.  He also did a good job of getting us into our offensive sets.  But besides being a very poor shooter, most of his college career, he also had a propensity to get into foul trouble, and when he did we almost always lost showing how important he was to those teams.  I think that Erik DQ'd 8 times in the 2011-2012 season with 2 of those coming against Summit League teams leading to miserable loses.

Not really a good comparison between Buggs and Nickerson.  Certainly Nickerson is not really a point guard and, as was mentioned, doesn't really have a point guard's court vision.  What he does have is the ability to go over the top of most of the players that would be guarding him. He has shown that he can manufacture opportunities, he just needs to finish better.  This should come as he just gets more time on the court.  While I know he had 5 TO's the other night, I don't really think he has handled the ball that poorly on the dribble, I find his decision making and passing more suspect and tentative.  That being said I find it just amazing what this group of "guards" has done without a true PG.

KC, if he can get and stay healthy, has lots of tools with which to work with.  I don't feel we have really seen his full potential.

I think we should be asking ourselves... when was the last time we had a guard who had the ability and strength to get to the rack and create the way that T Walker has shown?  He has the complete package both on offense and defense.  Any thoughts?

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on February 14, 2015, 10:31:13 PMI think we should be asking ourselves... when was the last time we had a guard who had the ability and strength to get to the rack and create the way the T Walker has shown?  He has the complete package both on offense and defense.  Any thoughts?

Time to memorize the lyrics to "O Canada" and start practicing the singing of our guards' national anthem.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

We should actually learn the Croatian and Jamaican anthems also. But the Canadian anthem is much easier.

classof2014

Quote from: FWalum on February 14, 2015, 10:31:13 PM

I think we should be asking ourselves... when was the last time we had a guard who had the ability and strength to get to the rack and create the way that T Walker has shown?  He has the complete package both on offense and defense.  Any thoughts?

LVD certainly had the ability to get to the rack and score at will at times. Although his defense was no where near as good and Tevonn has 3+ more seasons to improve on his game. When Tevonn signed with Valpo I thought he was gonna be the best out of the 14/15 class. There was a reason why he was a top 10 player in Canada, he very easily can become one of the most dominant guards in Valpo history.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on February 14, 2015, 10:41:55 PM
Quote from: FWalum on February 14, 2015, 10:31:13 PM

LVD certainly had the ability to get to the rack and score at will at times. Although his defense was no where near as good and Tevonn has 3+ more seasons to improve on his game. When Tevonn signed with Valpo I thought he was gonna be the best out of the 14/15 class. There was a reason why he was a top 10 player in Canada, he very easily can become one of the most dominant guards in Valpo history.

If Tevonn was the 10th best player coming out of Canada, there must be 9 Canadian freshmen putting up MVP numbers somewhere.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2015, 03:35:58 PMHopefully there can be some dignified balance.

I thought that was the balance you try to maintain when you leave your seat in the middle of the row and have to scoot by those same "irritated" neighbors in the bleachers who give you the stink eye as you dignifingly balance on the way past them.   :-[
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2015, 10:39:31 PM
Quote from: FWalum on February 14, 2015, 10:31:13 PMI think we should be asking ourselves... when was the last time we had a guard who had the ability and strength to get to the rack and create the way the T Walker has shown?  He has the complete package both on offense and defense.  Any thoughts?

Time to memorize the lyrics to "O Canada" and start practicing the singing of our guards' national anthem.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

God keep our land glorious and free!

We should actually learn the Croatian and Jamaican anthems also. But the Canadian anthem is much easier.

The Jamaican National Anthem isn't too hard to sing. Come on, mon!

Jamaican National Anthem sang by Lukie D
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Ladies and Gentlemen----The Croatian National Anthem "Lijepa nasa domovino."

Croatia National Anthem English lyrics

usc4valpo

I traveled to Croatia on business and the people were wonderful and the wine an unknown international secret.  They love sport in that country - soccer is also huge there and they compete very well internationally.