• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wright State @ Valpo 2/21/15 7:05pm Senior Night @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, February 16, 2015, 07:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Crowd:  5,050  !!  (biggest I can find since the 2/14/12 game with B**ler at 5,237.   (but I'm missing last year's stats... )

Smj

Got to say it was really nice seeing the place so full. .....    wish that was the norm

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

gamelord

I'm just glad that Vashil's girlfriend said yes. If she would've said no then the kid would be devastated and our season pretty much over. I know I read into stuff too much lol

SanityLost17

I was unable to watch the game lat night, so I watched the replay this morning.  Refs definitely let them play, but it was an even call.  I thought we fouled Karena multiple times without a call.  Seemed to me like they focused most of their body contact on Carter and Peters.  Seems like they got hand checked and body bumped multiple times every single time they got the ball.   As somebody else said, I think this was a good warm-up for what we will see at CSU, especially for Carter!   

As for why this game was so close.  WSU played this game with the intensity of a championship game.  Had I been a 1st time fan without any idea of records, I would have said that WSU was well above .500.  Aside from a few missed open 3 pointers, I don't think they could have played a much better game than they did last night.  They will be a lot better next year if they can get healthy.

I believe it is time for Carter to return to starting point guard.  He still appears to be a little hesitant on the drive, but otherwise he is looking pretty good. 

okinawatyphoon

Great photos as usual, Valpopal! Love the ones of the ARC filled with people!  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 22, 2015, 10:39:45 AMI believe it is time for Carter to return to starting point guard.  He still appears to be a little hesitant on the drive, but otherwise he is looking pretty good. 
Given the short amount of time remaining I am no longer 100% sure that he will be able to regain his pre injury level of play and judgement. The tradeoff to this is the additional improvement of Tevonn, E. Victor, Max and the rest of the team. There are no instruction manuals on how to reintroduce a star to competition without creating some questions, uncertainties about role and "what is best for team" functions. There is no one correct answer and we will have trust that Bryce has given this more thought than maybe all of us put together. I remain optimistic about the positive effects of his return but that does not prevent me from being very nervous.

Valpofan02

bbtds

Quote from: gamelord on February 22, 2015, 09:56:07 AM
I'm just glad that Vashil's girlfriend said yes. If she would've said no then the kid would be devastated and our season pretty much over. I know I read into stuff too much lol

Did you notice his girlfriend left the baby in the stands when Vashil asked her to make her way to the court. Maybe her parents helped Vashil. OTOH, you never know what happens in people's minds when that fateful moment arrives. Just like live reality television anything can happen. Congratulations to Vashil and family. It couldn't have happened to a better guy.

vu84v2

Great pictures!

Can anyone offer an idea as to why suddenly Valpo gets a huge crowd?  I know that it was senior night, but did it just suddenly dawn on a bunch of people that Valpo was 24-4 (now 25-4) with votes in the AP rankings and thought they could drive the 15-30 minutes to go see a game? It is certainly not that Wright State was a great draw.

Valpofan00

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 22, 2015, 04:50:31 PM
Great pictures!

Can anyone offer an idea as to why suddenly Valpo gets a huge crowd?  I know that it was senior night, but did it just suddenly dawn on a bunch of people that Valpo was 24-4 (now 25-4) with votes in the AP rankings and thought they could drive the 15-30 minutes to go see a game? It is certainly not that Wright State was a great draw.
Possibly last home game of the season, or bandwagoners. ;)

justducky

Crowd exceeded my expectation by maybe 800. I did not see any of the people that in the past start tagging along for the tournament so maybe it will even get better.

Valpofan00

Quote from: justducky on February 22, 2015, 05:05:31 PM
Crowd exceeded my expectation by maybe 800. I did not see any of the people that in the past start tagging along for the tournament so maybe it will even get better.
We need to set up another bleacher across from the student section that's the same size. Not that long skinny one they normally use...

a3uge

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 22, 2015, 05:07:45 PM
We need to set up another bleacher across from the student section that's the same size. Not that long skinny one they normally use...
That would be nice for when the HL inexplicably invents random rules that force our student section to the other side despite other schools not being held to the same standard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Valpofan00

Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2015, 05:18:17 PM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 22, 2015, 05:07:45 PM
That would be nice for when the HL inexplicably invents random rules that force our student section to the other side despite other schools not being held to the same standard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you have an idea why they make us and not other schools? Is it because the student section is so close to the other teams bench?

talksalot

Time to lessen expectations... The students will be on spring break the first two weeks of March.

oklahomamick

Since valpo is becoming a regular host, maybe we should think about moving spring break on the calendar. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Last night's crowd was 5050 Valpo-only fans.  Imagine the tournament semi-finals when even more Valpo fans want to come - plus fans from 3 other teams.  Even with extra bleachers and SRO, the place will be a packed-to-the-rafters sell-out. People will be standing 4 deep around the track. The atmosphere will be hot, loud, and intense.  You'll be able to cut the tension with a knife.  This is big time!

gamelord

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 22, 2015, 04:55:13 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 22, 2015, 04:50:31 PM
Great pictures!

Possibly last home game of the season, or bandwagoners. ;)

I usually go to 5-6 games every year, but due to my schedule this is the first one I was able to attend. Yes, the possibility of it maybe being the last home game for sure had something to do with the attendance. I've never seen parking so full. The cops blocking off McIntire Street caused a lot of traffic confusion. I always cut through there to get to the big main lot east of there. Had me thinking they were forcing everyone to use the old hospital parking garage and weren't allowing any campus parking.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: bbtds on February 22, 2015, 04:48:25 PM
Quote from: gamelord on February 22, 2015, 09:56:07 AM

Did you notice his girlfriend left the baby in the stands when Vashil asked her to make her way to the court. Maybe her parents helped Vashil. OTOH, you never know what happens in people's minds when that fateful moment arrives. Just like live reality television anything can happen. Congratulations to Vashil and family. It couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Someone (grandparents I'd assume) took baby as soon as Vashil called her  down
#CrusadersForever

vu72

I'm feeling really old, or at least, way out of touch.  As I reviewed pictures from the Senior night, I saw Vashil together with his girlfriend (who said yes!!) and--their BABY!!  It reminded me of Eric Buggs and his baby.

The point is that in my day, college players were NOT parents, or husbands.  Times have changed as has the coaching necessary to deal with kids who chose a path other then that which is considered "traditional".  We have kids with one parent, or players with babies, or players with wives, who have more important priorities to Valpo basketball.  It surely isn't easy.  Blessing to them all!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Have covered multiple high schools this year where players have kids.

govalpogo

The last two times the ARC hosted the tourney during spring break and the allotted amount of student tickets (200 or 300?) were used.  Not too worried if Valpo were to host again as this year's team has a much more gaudy record and more national attention. 

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on February 22, 2015, 07:57:36 PM
Have covered multiple high schools this year where players have kids.

And we wonder why society is out of control.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on February 22, 2015, 08:24:08 PM
The last two times the ARC hosted the tourney during spring break and the allotted amount of student tickets (200 or 300?) were used.  Not too worried if Valpo were to host again as this year's team has a much more gaudy record and more national attention. 

Have they given out free tickets in the past?  I don't recall, but I'm glad they're doing it this year.

[tweet]569643075070513152[/tweet]