• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 HL Tournament Thread

Started by wh, March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

At least the Horizon League doesn't go all-out like the NCAA tourney.  They let us leave the usual advertisements up, say.

agibson

In other news, Murray State down 5 with 9 to play!

ESPNU, for those following along at home. 

agibson

Maybe somebody could shout when the CSU game starts?  ESPN doesn't make it so easy to stream two games...

oklahomamick

Is this good?  They would get an at-large bid. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2015, 08:17:09 PM
Is this good?  They would get an at-large bid. 

If they get an at-large, it's pretty much neutral.  Maybe slightly negative, in as much as their loss hurts our RPI.

But, you really think they get an at-large?  Top 25 does not equal an at-large, even if 25/4 < 7.

I'm sure it'd get people talking, but I'm pretty confident they don't have any kind of chance at an at-large.

Go Morehead State!  I think my step-dad even has a degree from there...

WiscoCrusader

A little RPI analysis shows that there is 0 chance that Murray State would even get a tourney bid if they lose this game.  That is huge for us.  Eliminating a 12 seed competitor far exceeds the concern about a slight RPI drop for Valpo as a result.

In fact, the announcers just specifically called out that likelihood.

agibson

Cameron Payne 3... Morehead State air ball.

Ooh, but 4 fouls on Payne - interesting!

a3uge

* It's settled. Oakland will NOT finish above .500.
* At least their RPI will slowly decrease because they played a tough schedule.
* They should've scheduled Kansas. Maybe that would've prepared them a bit more for the conference tournament.
* 8-year senior Jay Harris was really clutch at the end there.

Did anyone see Cam Payne giving that guy the business on the inbound (picked up a foul)?

Loved that we had a top 25 win vs Murray State, but yeah, if we make the tournament and the selection committee is debating seeds, I'd rather not have them there.

agibson

Morehead's doing what Bryce has done sometimes in past seasons... eating too much clock when they should be running the offense.  10 seconds is not enough.

agibson

agibson

Man, Cam Payne doing it all.  And is going to win here...  Come on Morehead, you can do this!

agibson

Another air ball!  At least with enough time for one more prayer... But maybe not enough for the two prayers it'll take if Murray can hit even one FT.  Oh well, an exciting intermission, at least.

WiscoCrusader

It's really a neutral if Murray continues to win.  Would have been a huge positive had they lost though.  Still would be positive if they lose this weekend.

a3uge

Murray State has had a couple of games like this. I think they may be running out of lives.

LaPorteAveApostle

Eh, root for them to lose the conference final.  The win tonight is better for their and therefore our RPI, and the loss tomorrow would not be as damaging as tonight's would have been.

Heck, if it's EKU, it's kind of a wash anyway!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

The King is  dead!  Long live the King!   I love the way the OU pre-conference scheduling helps their conference play.

oklahomamick

If they would have had a couple more wins in the occ with the wins they got in conference they could get in the cbi. 

Tex will never get to see petrol play again. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Nice to have the commentators talking up the Valpo gameday atmosphere.  "It will be _electric_."  When Valpo tips off tomorrow in front of what he assumes will be a sold-out house.

And praising our geographic centrality?  I assume the former was not continent on the latter.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ValpoHoops

Quote from: agibson on March 06, 2015, 09:23:04 PM
Nice to have the commentators talking up the Valpo gameday atmosphere.  "It will be _electric_."  When Valpo tips off tomorrow in front of what he assumes will be a sold-out house.

And praising our geographic centrality?  I assume the former was not continent on the latter.

I sincerely hope the folks in the arena are continent this evening...

agibson

Bryce Drew interview coming up here in a moment, during half time.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 06, 2015, 09:39:51 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 06, 2015, 09:23:04 PM

I sincerely hope the folks in the arena are continent this evening...

Blargh.  As if Apostle wasn't bad enough. 

_Contingent_.  Welcome back? ;)

wh

I don't feel much like kicking Oakland when they're down. Everyone, including us, is only 1 off-night away from similar ending.

a3uge

Yale beat Harvard. Their RPIs just completely switched.

Man, Stutz on EKU is fun to watch. They have some big dudes. Sebastian and the lumberjack.

Loyola is womping Indiana State in Arch Madness. Doesn't really matter since UNI and Murray State are in that conference. Oh so NOW they decide to not wreck everyones RPIs :coffeetime:

CSU and Detroit seem to be using their benches. Hope Detroit keeps it close and they really grind it out.

a3uge

Looks like we'll play Cleveland State and Lee has wasted his juju on tonight.