• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(13) Valpo vs. (4) Maryland NCAA 'Second' Rd Fri 3/20 4:40 PM EDT TNT

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 15, 2015, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Maybe Tevonn doesn't know any better. Seems to not have the nerves everybody else does.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

Quote from: Valpofan00 on March 20, 2015, 04:21:54 PM
Ugly start. Vashil is struggling offensively not a surprise. Cant get shots to fall.

To be expected, in a way. But you can tell they've shaken off the feeling that Maryland is special. They're not.

vu84v2

Hung in there, but got lost on offense for too long of a stretch. Big three to end the half, but need other options than threes on offense. It does look like drive and kick out is there.

Valpower

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 20, 2015, 05:08:32 PM
Hung in there, but got lost on offense for too long of a stretch. Big three to end the half, but need other options than threes on offense. It does look like drive and kick out is there.

I'm gonna say not lost so much as the over-exuberant. I think this is the second phase (after the fearful do-we-belong-here phase) that they'll get over come the second half.

agibson

Good crowd in the Union, good energy.  Loud at times.  Much fuller now than in this photo.

[tweet]579019222388461568[/tweet]

agibson

For all the rocky bits of this half, Paul said it well

[tweet]579035539711647744[/tweet]

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on March 20, 2015, 05:22:31 PM
For all the rocky bits of this half, Paul said it well

[tweet]579035539711647744[/tweet]

Agree. I'm getting to the point where I'll be disappointed by a slim victory via late-minute heroics. Well...not disappointed, I guess.

agibson

Quote from: Valpower on March 20, 2015, 05:37:17 PMAgree. I'm getting to the point where I'll be disappointed by a slim victory via late-minute heroics. Well...not disappointed, I guess.

Heck no.  But, it would be disappointing if we didn't have at least a chance at it in the closing seconds.  We're very much in this game.  Need to take it to the next level.  Tied it up.. but can't quite regain the lead.

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on March 20, 2015, 05:51:57 PM
Quote from: Valpower on March 20, 2015, 05:37:17 PMAgree. I'm getting to the point where I'll be disappointed by a slim victory via late-minute heroics. Well...not disappointed, I guess.

Heck no.  But, it would be disappointing if we didn't have at least a chance at it in the closing seconds.  We're very much in this game.  Need to take it to the next level.  Tied it up.. but can't quite regain the lead.

I'm encouraged by the fact that Maryland is "hanging in there" via perimeter shooting. It's not how they needed to win.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

It was all tied up with 6 minutes, E Victor bad foul and bad turnover.   down by 4
CRUSADERS!!!

okinawatyphoon

Our 3-point percentage is better than our free-throw percentage. Not sure what to think about that.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Valpower

Damn it, is this going to be a close victory for us or a cake walk?  :)

oklahomamick

would be nice to get this one.  I think we could beat W. Virginia.
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

It was Tevonn that put us at and past 51, and Alec of course with more than his 10.  Does that work in the NCAA?

51 and 10!

agibson

Would've been good if Dodd had gotten called for that foul.  It's maryland that was in foul trouble at the start of this half!  Gotta pull together here.

Bryce is going to have to re-invent, with no E Vic, and with Alec hanging on four.

Bryce is the king of reinvention, of course.

oklahomamick

This pg guard for Maryland is better than K. Felder at drawing fouls.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

Getting really tired of the condescending broadcasting. My irritation started with the Buffalo/WV contest (somehow hanging on, sawed-off big man, good rebounding, but not the same as rebounding against Big 12 competition). Continues with Valpo.

oklahomamick

Before Bryce timeout they ran the same play before half against Green Bay.  Only they did not throw it to Vashil this time.  Should have got that easy two, then foul. 

the announcers even mentioned it as I was typing. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

Not that anybody necessarily cares, but I'm genuinely disappointed. And I don't mean in that cute "wouldn't it have been nice if that little Valpo team had won" way. I mean in that "Maryland, for a team that at one point was pretending to be the 8th best team wasn't impressive" kind of way. Major bummer.

nkvu

Looked like Carter was hacked across the right wrist on that play at the buzzer right in front of the ref too. Would have been an almost impossible shot even if he had gotten it off.  Oh well. We actually had a chance for the first time since 98. Maybe this will inspire them for next year.

LaPorteAveApostle

i had a Mass to play.  so i had a friend tape it.

except the DVR ran out with 3:11 to play and us down 58-57.  definitely the most anticlimactic way to find out the end of the game.

gah.  as a UM fan I hate Smotrycz too.  what a way to go out. 

was it a real foul there at the end?  for someone that didn't see it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on March 20, 2015, 04:21:12 PM
Same old story.
[/b]

Really?  What a cheap shot.  We just played dead even with the eighth best team in the country.  All those who keep saying that we would get blown out by a top 20 team (you included) have a lot of crow to eat.  We should have won.  To just sit back and say "same old story" is just not even close to accurate.  Sure, we lost again.  However, it showed we belong. Zero teams will want to play us next year.  Other then the wins in 98, this was the closest game we have ever played in the tourney.

One more thing:  this was your prediction.

Just can't pick VU on this one. Maryland has beaten Wisconsin, Iowa State, and MSU --twice.  Oren has Maryland by 12.  I hope it's that close.  And I hope my prediction is dead wrong.

VU 44
Maryland 65

For the record, your prediction was just that.  Dead wrong.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: Valpower on March 20, 2015, 06:23:24 PM
Getting really tired of the condescending broadcasting. My irritation started with the Buffalo/WV contest (somehow hanging on, sawed-off big man, good rebounding, but not the same as rebounding against Big 12 competition). Continues with Valpo.
If you were just listening to them you would think Maryland was winning easily. And just about every highlight was of Maryland.  We are not going to get any respect from the national media until we actually win one of these games against a big name school.