• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU land acquisition

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 21, 2015, 12:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

With basketball season winding down, I thought this would be a good time to bring this up. VU recently posted an updated campus map on their website, and I found one particular aspect interesting. If you take a look at the map, the buildings shaded in brown appear to be buildings owned by VU. On the north side of the map (highlighted in red) is an abandoned building that appears to have been a department store or warehouse at some point. Did VU acquire this building and/or the land? Was it at all related to Porter Hospital and maybe was part of that acquisition?

I also took some screenshots from Google Maps. As you can see, it's just north of campus and near Trails Inn Liquors.

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

LaPorteAveApostle

Could you post a picture in 3D?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

Wasn't that a low end department store many years ago?

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 21, 2015, 01:11:16 PMCould you post a picture in 3D?

Yes, without a 3D picture that image is a real danner, like a departmental photo shop giving discounts.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

For those not quite getting the humor, the department store was named 3D!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on March 21, 2015, 04:58:21 PM
For those not quite getting the humor, the department store was named 3D!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: historyman on March 21, 2015, 02:17:26 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 21, 2015, 01:11:16 PMCould you post a picture in 3D?

Yes, without a 3D picture that image is a real danner, like a departmental photo shop giving discounts.

Oh! now I get it.

agibson

I may have heard something brief about the purchase, can't remember.

Someone, presumably VU, has taken to using the parking lot, at least.

I do recall that the folks at Ironwood brewery, immediately adjacent, were having trouble getting permission for a food truck to use the lot.  I don't remember if that was before or after the university purchase.

The other neighbors that come to mind are Moeller funeral home, and, at least for a few more weeks (*sigh*) Leo's bike shop.

wh

Valparaiso University Formally Acquires Former Porter Hospital Property

http://www.valpo.edu/news/2014/09/02/valparaiso-university-formally-acquires-former-porter-hospital-property-2/

Plans for the existing building and additional parking on the corner of Roosevelt and Lincolnway are in development and will enhance the community and connection between the University and the City of Valparaiso.

okinawatyphoon

I know the university already has plans for the field house/arena, but that location seems pretty ideal given the access to Lincolnway, ample parking, and across from the dorms.  :thumbsup:

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for the info everyone.

crusader05

The hospital used the parking lot for overflow parking but did nothing with the building. At this point I believe Uptown uses it as permit parking for their residents.

agibson

We've been wondering about a lot a bit south of there.  A building on the SW corner of Roosevelt and Lincolnway.  Maybe it was doctors' offices, but it's been for sale for a while. 

Seems like an area where the university might have an interest, even if they don't have a use for that particular property, in isolation.  We've wondered if one party or the other is holding out non price...

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Yep.  Maybe the one south of it, too.  That one was a doctor's office, maybe stayed open for a bit after the hospital closed, maybe not?  I think at the moment its sign is sort of half-covered.  Don't remember if it's had a for-sale sign.

All of this is just across the street from Lebien, home of nursing, and from some of the Uptown East apartments (or look-alikes).

historyman

Quote from: agibson on March 24, 2015, 03:38:56 PMYep.  Maybe the one south of it, too.  That one was a doctor's office, maybe stayed open for a bit after the hospital closed, maybe not?  I think at the moment its sign is sort of half-covered.  Don't remember if it's had a for-sale sign. All of this is just across the street from Lebien, home of nursing, and from some of the Uptown East apartments (or look-alikes).

I passed by that property today. It still looks much like it did in the Streetview pic I posted which is from Oct 2013. I believe the realtor has changed but the property looks much the same.