• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 33: Texas Southern at the ARC, NIT First Round

Started by agibson, March 13, 2016, 07:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

Congrats Texas Southern...one of my students said they saw their fancy off the backboard dunk made the top ten.  That play was about as toughly defended as the warm up lines.

agibson

Quote from: HC on March 16, 2016, 10:08:16 AMCongrats Texas Southern...one of my students said they saw their fancy off the backboard dunk made the top ten.  That play was about as toughly defended as the warm up lines.

Number six in the SC that I saw. Was that the one with ten seconds left? I didn't remember the off-the-backboard element from the game. But, no surprise if we weren't defending much up 13, ten seconds left. The previous position we thought about holding the ball for a shot clock violation (Keith did end up driving the lane).

We were otherwise rather absent from Sportscenter. Don't know if it was the ESPN/ESPN2 NIT games they were including, or just games they considered more interesting matchups, or what.

VULB#62

Now that our TSU game is in the books, and most of us came away with good impressions of Mike Davis and his Tigers, I thought I'd post this link from USAToday on the difficulties faced by coaches and players in HBCU.  You have to respect the fortitude and resilience of these individuals.  On the other hand, you have to seriously wonder why they  have such a burden to bear.  All but a three of the 23 SWAC and MEAC schools are state schools, yet their share of state education funding seems to be perpetually below that of comparable public colleges.

Successful HBCU basketball coaches endure rockier climb
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/meac/2016/03/15/successful-hbcu-basketball-coaches-endure-rockier-climb-hampton-meac/81820174/

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2016, 11:03:23 AM
Now that our TSU game is in the books, and most of us came away with good impressions of Mike Davis and his Tigers, I thought I'd post this link from USAToday on the difficulties faced by coaches and players in HBCU.  You have to respect the fortitude and resilience of these individuals.  On the other hand, you have to seriously wonder why they  have such a burden to bear.  All but a three of the 23 SWAC and MEAC schools are state schools, yet their share of state education funding seems to be perpetually below that of comparable public colleges.

Successful HBCU basketball coaches endure rockier climb
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/meac/2016/03/15/successful-hbcu-basketball-coaches-endure-rockier-climb-hampton-meac/81820174/

I find this rather interesting in that the majority of players that these coaches at non-HBCU schools are coaching are black but since they coach at a non-HBCU school they benefit from the student body being majority non-black. Does anyone else find this odd?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2016, 08:17:58 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 16, 2016, 07:46:59 AMOur on ball defense continues to suffer when Tevonn is not in the lineup.  The last half of the conference season his scoring was down, but he was still playing good defense.  Both GB and TSU did the same thing to us, put their head down and went strong to the basket.  Only difference between this game and the GB game is we hit a greater % of our shots and they missed several open 3 pointers.   

Hopefully we play better on Thursday, but we still seem to be in a bit of a funk. 

Tevonn is an integral part of this Team, we seem to really suffer when he is not in the lineup or playing well.  I wish things were different, but if they were unwilling to test the ankle last night I don't see him really able to go on Thursday anywhere close to 100%.

According to Bryce in the post game press conference he thought about putting Tevonn in the game several times but due to the pace of the game he felt that the chances of T Walker getting hurt again were more likely and he decided against it. He said Tevonn will be ready to play against Florida State.