• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: talksalot on October 21, 2018, 08:45:59 AM
Sorry you missed the first half of the event.  After the teams were introduced, Coach Lottich took the microphone and invited everyone down to the court.  And he explained a bunch of defensive drills. 

He then had all the children take part in a shoot out with the help of the players. 

All the while the women's team ran through their usual drills, in full uniform. 

The players mingled with the crowd and folks left.  The venue is a neat place,but not being an official size court, makes it hard to have a real game.  There was talk about having a scrimmage, but that didn't happen. 

We'll probably try again next year.

This came about through a Hammond city councilman suggesting it to Mark labarbara. 

Any and all efforts to reach out to the NWI community-at-large are commendable. And, kudos to the councilman for thinking outside the box. For next year, Mark might want to consider something similar at Merrillville H.S., home of Mileek McMillan. That's sure to draw a bigger crowd, especially if Mileek has a productive year.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on October 21, 2018, 10:21:00 AM
Sorry you missed the first half of the event.  After the teams were introduced, Coach Lottich took the microphone and invited everyone down to the court.  And he explained a bunch of defensive drills. 

He then had all the children take part in a shoot out with the help of the players. 

The players mingled with the crowd and folks left.  The venue is a neat place,but not being an official size court, makes it hard to have a real game.  There was talk about having a scrimmage, but that didn't happen. 

This came about through a Hammond city councilman suggesting it to Mark labarbara. 

Any and all efforts to reach out to the NWI community-at-large are commendable. And, kudos to the councilman for thinking outside the box. For next year, Mark might want to consider something similar at Merrillville H.S., home of Mileek McMillan. That's sure to draw a bigger crowd, especially if Mileek has a productive year.

I emailed a staff member and everything indicated alumni meet and greet THEN practice.  I can accept that our timing was off because of the annoying Michigan weather delay (football).  I'm just concerned that we arrived between 2:20 and 2:30PM and everyone was on the court while children took shots.  The women were doing something, but I was not there to see the women's team sadly.

It was advertised as 2PM - 4PM, and for 75% of the event there was no structure what so ever.  I'm glad done enjoyed, and that's all that matters.  For the three of us were not the intended audience it seems.

If the first 25 minutes was structured and involved drills, then awesome.  Just not awesome for alumni such as us.

Ecstatic that we are doing community our reach, I applaud that and hope it continues.

VU2014

Key to the season needs to be limiting the TOs and getting better PG play. Is Lavender a true PG? Idk. Will Sackey force the coaches hands in terms of playing time and can he be trusted to run the offense? Can Micah prove he's more than a sub-par D1 player?

A few big question marks for the season. A good article by the new NWI Times reporter Robbie Weinstein. I wonder if he'll join Paul on a occasional USH podcast.

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1054078344671756293

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 21, 2018, 01:31:13 PM
I emailed a staff member and everything indicated alumni meet and greet THEN practice.  I can accept that our timing was off because of the annoying Michigan weather delay (football).  I'm just concerned that we arrived between 2:20 and 2:30PM and everyone was on the court while children took shots.  The women were doing something, but I was not there to see the women's team sadly.

It was advertised as 2PM - 4PM, and for 75% of the event there was no structure what so ever.  I'm glad done enjoyed, and that's all that matters.  For the three of us were not the intended audience it seems.

If the first 25 minutes was structured and involved drills, then awesome.  Just not awesome for alumni such as us.

Ecstatic that we are doing community our reach, I applaud that and hope it continues.

When I first heard of this event, I expressed a hope that it would be well choreographed and that local HSBB coaches were personally invited along with their players. It would seem that there wasn't enough time to pull this thing together as well as it could have been. Silver lining:  NEXT year they can do a much better job and turn it into a truly great outreach. BTW, I like the idea of using Mileek's HS alma mater for the next one.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on October 21, 2018, 02:39:49 PM
Key to the season needs to be limiting the TOs and getting better PG play. Is Lavender a true PG? Idk. Will Sackey force the coaches hands in terms of playing time and can he be trusted to run the offense? Can Micah prove he's more than a sub-par D1 player?

A few big question marks for the season. A good article by the new NWI Times reporter Robbie Weinstein. I wonder if he'll join Paul on a occasional USH podcast.

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1054078344671756293

About Mileek playing center:

"I think it'll open up things for our team, me being able to stretch the floor and me just playing the 5 position," McMillan said. "Most 5's aren't gonna be able to guard a shot, be able to guard the three. They won't want to step out to the three, and then if they come too close, I'm able to go around them, go through them, create things for my other teammates."

Taken literally, Mileek will only be playing the 5. That is also consistent with what Todd is said. There is absolutely no mention of him playing the 4 - part time, full time, anytime.

VUGrad1314

McMillan 5 Fazekas 4... The shooting in the frontcourt will be amazing and will give us a massive advantage. I'm getting excited again!

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 21, 2018, 04:30:30 PMMcMillan 5 Fazekas 4... The shooting in the frontcourt will be amazing and will give us a massive advantage. I'm getting excited again!
Mileek has solid potential as a MVC 5 but even bigger potential as a PF 4. A combination of many factors will determine how his playing time for 18-19 will be divided. I was excited about Adekoya as a sophomore and my excitement about McMillan is even larger. If Mileek comes out just dog paddling instead of walking on water I will be expressing my disappointment.   ::)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on October 21, 2018, 05:50:47 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 21, 2018, 04:30:30 PMMcMillan 5 Fazekas 4... The shooting in the frontcourt will be amazing and will give us a massive advantage. I'm getting excited again!
Mileek has solid potential as a MVC 5 but even bigger potential as a PF 4. A combination of many factors will determine how his playing time for 18-19 will be divided. I was excited about Adekoya as a sophomore and my excitement about McMillan is even larger. If Mileek comes out just dog paddling instead of walking on water I will be expressing my disappointment.   ::)

I'd agree, PF is where I'd like him to develop.  Maybe make 5-10 mpg appearance at the 5 slot but please make it the lesser.

If he simply finds a way to not foul and be a defensive liability that's a win his sophomore year.  I know this is a low bar but we only need 7-10 ppg and some strong rebounding/defending to make him a valuable contributor.  I think we gain more his junior year in polish because I still think he's a bull in the fine china shop. 

He mentioned shooting over C and getting around them, but did anyone else notice he mentioned "through them" in that NWI Times article?  He's Terry Tate, office linebacker still in his head!!!

FieldGoodie05

We didn't see Jay Sorolla from the bleachers area.  Did you happen to see him there OR learn of his injury status?

talksalot

He did not make the trip.  No more information available.

valpopal

Is that Sackey standing next to Derrik and looking not much taller than the kids?

Quote from: VU2014 on October 21, 2018, 09:53:14 PM
[tweet]1054203263162163200[/tweet]

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on October 21, 2018, 10:14:07 PM

Is that Sackey standing next to Derrik and looking not much taller than the kids?

Yes, indeed that is Daniel.

vu72

When the heck are the new team pictures going to be coming out? And Daniel is really short, listed at 5'9", maybe less??  The amazing thing is his leaping ability.  Maybe the next Calvin Murphy!  Let's hope so.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

No players on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Team. I can't say I disagree but that needs to change.

I think Ryan Fazekas has a chance to be on this list next year, but that's only if Ryan actually is the player most of us hope he can be. Smits? Probably not. If he plays better defense and coach can trust him to play more meaningful minutes late in games then maybe. Kiser? No. eron Gordon? I honest have no clue what he'll provide. I don't expect him to be bad but I'm not sure what his ceiling is. Langston Stalling? No.

https://twitter.com/MattGlenesk/status/1054751464453758976

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on October 23, 2018, 04:39:40 PMNo players on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Team. I can't say I disagree but that needs to change. I think Ryan Fazekas has a chance to be on this list next year, but that's only if Ryan actually is the player most of us hope he can be. Smits? Probably not. If he plays better defense and coach can trust him to play more meaningful minutes late in games then maybe. Kiser? No. eron Gordon? I honest have no clue what he'll provide. I don't expect him to be bad but I'm not sure what his ceiling is. Langston Stalling? No. https://twitter.com/MattGlenesk/status/1054751464453758976

You missed Mileek.

VU2014

I personal think we should be better than 160. I think a health 18-19 Valpo team should be closer to 140. But it's a fools errand to rank this many teams in the preseason.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1055146393940172800

zvillehaze

Scrimmage with UIC is tomorrow, right?  Does anyone know Jay's status for this and next week's exhibition game?

bigmosmithfan1

LOL, of course the Indiana University Star puts an IU guy who hasn't played a second of college ball on its first team.

(I'm sure the kid's good. But that's just so laughable in terms of that paper being completely in the tank for Bloomington).

bbtds

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on October 26, 2018, 02:33:06 PM
LOL, of course the Indiana University Star puts an IU guy who hasn't played a second of college ball on its first team.

(I'm sure the kid's good. But that's just so laughable in terms of that paper being completely in the tank for Bloomington).

It took Butler close to 50 years to break in on IU's hold on the Indy Star's sports dept to get more than a two paragraph story on their ICC games, including against Indiana Central (UIndy), Ball State, ISUb, Depauw and Wabash.

VU2014

VU2014

Does anyone know if our exhibition game against UIndy on Thursday will be televised?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 28, 2018, 11:20:21 PM
Does anyone know if our exhibition game against UIndy on Thursday will be televised?

Are we even sure there will be a radio call?

VULB#62

And we are just 4 days away from our exhibition with UIndy and neither the men's nor women's BB athletic website pages have been updated yet with new 2018-19 team pictures and individual player pics and bios.  Same for MBB Twitter and FB pages. Always good to see Tevonn's picture, but.....................   What is taking so long?

UIndy's MBB page is up to date in all respects and that's with 8 or 9 new players for 2018-19.