• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #10 Valpo v. Jacksonville 11/10 Noon

Started by VULB#62, November 05, 2018, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

That was in 2010 86-7 was the final.

The take on Kerwin Bell and his staff is accurate. He's now at Div II Valdosta State. Successful but tough to deal with.

usc4valpo

The coaches should not be f-bombing like that at a Lutheran school, and especially after they are winning in a prohibative fashion. Very tacky indeed.

If anyone should be cussing that sad day, it should have been the fans watching that mess. Dale Carlson was a coaching genius...probably looking for a post game Osteen quote on dealing with adversity.

Even at 2-8, we are fortunate that Cecchini is coaching at Valpo.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 11, 2018, 04:18:05 PMOnce they played us at home in the mid-2000s and they had ridiculously fast kids and beat us 80+ to 6 or something.  Their asst coaches were up in the press box at the top of the VU grandstand dropping f-bombs in every direction in the first half.  Sometimes it was in frustration (rarely).  But most of the time is was 1 of every 3 words in their very limited vocabulary.  All 3 of them talked that way.

Pres. Harre was sitting about 10 rows in front of them and there were a bunch of kids and families nearby him.   Many of turned and glared at them often.  They continued.   Suddenly after the half I stopped hearing f-bombs.   Perhaps Pres H got someone's attention.  Good for him.

At one point, Harre turned towards the press box and asked them to stop cursing.

They responded with something along the lines of "and who the hell are you, old man".

Harre fired back with "I'm the president of this University and I'll have you sent out of here if you don't."

They complied. Quickly.

VULB#62

78crusader

I hope that story is true since I hold President Harre in the highest esteem, but I will point out the Jacksonville game you refer to took place in 2010, at which point Dr. Heckler was university president.  Perhaps Dr. Harre was at the game. 

Paul

78crusader

I also heard at the time that it was the VU coaches, not the Jacksonville coaches, who were unleashing f bombs during the game.  That would make some sense in a way since it was our team, not JU, getting trounced.  I hope that part of the story is not true. 

Paul

ValpoHoops

I can't confirm when the game was or the opponent.  Or even which coaches were yelling (I do believe it was the visitors, however). I just know that part of the story. So, there's not necessarily connection between the two, now that I see it.