• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Head Coach Opening/ Cecchini Departing

Started by valpofb16, February 06, 2019, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

......... unless this is one of those protracted negotiations with #1 that has lots of PIA detail that needs to be ironed out. This is frustrating.

[Man, I hope Raeburn is still in play].

valpofb16

What I know is Raeburn was there Thurs-Fri

The fifth unknown name was Landon Fox, Daytons defensive coordinator

I know they were close with Raeburn to the point of players meeting with him

I think Snyder, Moore are out

That leaves Raeburn, Fox, Karras

valpofb16

An extremely interesting Raeburn side note,

He utilized the heck out of his JV team at Wabash, I believe this is something that by definition could come back. Valpo had JV teams under Stacey Adams, the rule is you have to have one for non scholarship football if you bring over 110 kids into camp (don't quote me on that)

The problem was with Adams is how do you convince a kid to choose Valpo over competing D2's, several other non scholarship schools in more ideal locations, and then turn around and play JV football against D3 schools for a year (which eliminates a redshirt)

I would actually be for this as it has proven to work at other non scholarship schools, lets us have higher overall amount of players, and gets kids game reps as soon as possible

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 25, 2019, 11:39:26 AM
An extremely interesting Raeburn side note,

He utilized the heck out of his JV team at Wabash, I believe this is something that by definition could come back. Valpo had JV teams under Stacey Adams, the rule is you have to have one for non scholarship football if you bring over 110 kids into camp (don't quote me on that)

The problem was with Adams is how do you convince a kid to choose Valpo over competing D2's, several other non scholarship schools in more ideal locations, and then turn around and play JV football against D3 schools for a year (which eliminates a redshirt)

I would actually be for this as it has proven to work at other non scholarship schools, lets us have higher overall amount of players, and gets kids game reps as soon as possible
Given our success rate on keeping 5th year seniors this does make sense if it could be pulled together

valpofb16

Along with Dayton's DC I have heard Rick Fox from Drake did apply for the job late as well which may have rearranged the hiring process

78crusader

Rick Fox did a superb job with Drake.  He would be an excellent fit here.

Paul

VULB#62

Whoa. Rick Fox is in the mix to?  That's a game changer and understandably the process drags on. MLB has some quality candidates to chose among.  That's good.  I think part of the reason these guys are showing interest is that DC showed that Valpo could be a viable program.

vufan75

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 25, 2019, 01:39:34 PMAlong with Dayton's DC I have heard Rick Fox from Drake did apply for the job late as well which may have rearranged the hiring process
One of those situations in which they have to determine how much his heart was into it. He basically walked away from Drake. The other issue would be whether he's still under contract with Drake and what would be the machinations for him satisfying that contract to take another with a league program.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on February 25, 2019, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on February 25, 2019, 01:39:34 PMAlong with Dayton's DC I have heard Rick Fox from Drake did apply for the job late as well which may have rearranged the hiring process
One of those situations in which they have to determine how much his heart was into it. He basically walked away from Drake. The other issue would be whether he's still under contract with Drake and what would be the machinations for him satisfying that contract to take another with a league program.

I think you have hit on part of the problem with a speedy hire.  Contracts.  Mark and the candidate just don't shake hands and he starts tomorrow, unless it is someone on staff and even then, a head coach's contract is by its nature a lot more complicated than your typical employee.  Those negotiations have to be run by ones lawyer, who may be in another state and, lawyers being lawyers would want to review the state laws governing the contract and advise accordingly.  That could take some time.  There could even be an investment advisor involved, who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Good to see a D guy, Landon Fox, in the running.  So MLB can chose between two Foxes and a Raeburn.  ;)

I'd prefer that it be between the two guys with winning HCing records:  Rick Fox or Raeburn.  Ted Karras has an overall 72-72 record but had losing records in two of the three HCing jobs he held at the college level.

Comparison:

Raeburn:  TOTAL HC SEASONS:  18  --- 7 seasons @ Coe College (57-26, two NCAA playoff appearances); 8 seasons @ Wabash (78-13, 5 NCAA playoff appearances); 3 seasons @ SSU (8-23 -FCS)

R.Fox:  TOTAL HC SEASONS:  5  --- 5 seasons (33-22 overall), (28-12 PFL). PFL Finishes: T-3rd, T-4th, 3rd, 2nd, T-2nd

Karras:  TOTAL HC SEASONS:  13  --- 3 Seasons @ Rose-Hulman (14-16); 6 season @ Marian (48-23 - NAIA National Champion in 2012); 4 seasons @ Walsh (10-33 record)

78crusader

VULB#62 mentioned that VU could be a viable program.

This is going back a ways, but a VU alum named Jim Wacker once coached at Texas Lutheran (and later was the HC at TCU and then Minnesota).  His team played VU in 1974.  (I remember that game, since it was the homecoming game my freshman year.)  We played a good first half and then got pummeled the second half.  Texas Lutheran had a couple of jackrabbits who ran all over the field -- we simply could not match their speed.

After the game Wacker had supper with some VU profs.  He told them privately that VU had a LOT of potential to become a really, really good football program.  He rubbed his hands together when he said this -- sort of a "boy, what I could do here" kind of attitude.

I think that is still true, and DC was able to bring the program up several notches.  I am optimistic the new HC will be able to deliver a very solid program within a short time.

Paul

VULB#62

Based on what I've learned on the PFL site, it seems that Rick Fox is a very religious man who wears his faith on his sleeve. I don't know if this is accurate, but religion may have been a factor in his sudden departure from Drake. Drake people do not feel there are any strings remaining on his contract. Additionally, Lurking Dog on the PFL site worries that if he gets the Valpo job that he will steal their best Chicagoland recruiter and bring him to VU.

Lurking Dog

I don't want to make RFox sound like a freak.  He isn't.  Take a look at where he went to school and what he studied,,,he is exactly what ypu would expect.

And for the record, I thpught Fox was Drake's best Chicago recruiter.  He later delegated that turf to someone else.

Hire the Fox from Dayton!   ;)

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 25, 2019, 09:40:36 PMBased on what I've learned on the PFL site, it seems that Rick Fox is a very religious man who wears his faith on his sleeve. I don't know if this is accurate, but religion may have been a factor in his sudden departure from Drake. Drake people do not feel there are any strings remaining on his contract. Additionally, Lurking Dog on the PFL site worries that if he gets the Valpo job that he will steal their best Chicagoland recruiter and bring him to VU.
The faith aspect is what I read, somewhere, that was a determinant in Rick Fox leaving Drake. My concern, and what should be Valpo's, is what has changed over the last 3 months. This is all assuming that the reports that he's interested are true. I don't think a situation in which Valpo is essentially attempting to talk him into taking the job would be good for Valpo.

VULB#62

Quote from: Lurking Dog on February 25, 2019, 10:37:17 PM
I don't want to make RFox sound like a freak.  He isn't.  Take a look at where he went to school and what he studied,,,he is exactly what ypu would expect.

And for the record, I thpught Fox was Drake's best Chicago recruiter.  He later delegated that turf to someone else.

Hire the Fox from Dayton!   ;)

Thanks for the clarification LD. Your point about RFox being a Wheaton grad is noted. LFox is a good candidate, but I'm holding out for a proven HC guy. DC was our hire-a-hungry-assistant step. Now we need to move to the next level with a guy who isn't learning on the job.

NWIGuy

I guess the biggest question for Lurking Dog is...

Were you disappointed that RF resigned at the end of the season? Would you have preferred him to stay and continue as HC?

Lurking Dog

Quote from: NWIGuy on February 26, 2019, 11:32:01 AM
Were you disappointed that RF resigned at the end of the season? Would you have preferred him to stay and continue as HC?

I was trying to avoid answering that one.  Lol.

I was not disappointed.  The talent in the Drake coaching staff lies with three former Fox assistants.  One is the new head coach at Drake, and I could see at least one of the other two as a future DU head coach.

Fox has frustrated many by not having his team ready to play at the beginning of the year (see '16 and '17 in particular).  He often refers to the first three (non-league) games as "the preseason."  Fox once scheduled a 12th game (and got a press release issued on it), only to have the entire Internet remind Drake that 12 games weren't allowed in FCS that year.  Not always sure the lights are on with him.

I appreciate his work at Drake.  Anyone who saw the Iowa State game knows he can motive kids.  But I'm happy that Drake wasn't in a rush to extend his contract.  I expect the Bulldogs will ultimately be better without him.

VULB#62

NWIGuy

Is there any chance that Rick Fox is not a candidate at all? Maybe never even applied? Word gets out that a "PFL coach" with the last name Fox is a finalist and maybe we all just assumed/hoped it was the Drake Fox...?

Landon Fox was on campus today. Raeburn was there last week. My guess is that coached gets named in 24 hours and meets with team on Thurs. just before the boys head home for Spring Break.

VULB#62

Timing makes sense if it's indeed down to LFox and Raeburn. 

Lurking Dog

Quote from: NWIGuy on February 26, 2019, 03:15:48 PM
Is there any chance that Rick Fox is not a candidate at all?

Maybe it was Samantha Fox.

bbtds

Or is it Red Fox coach Jim Parady that is being considered? That would be a sly JPFox move.

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on February 26, 2019, 03:15:48 PMIs there any chance that Rick Fox is not a candidate at all? Maybe never even applied? Word gets out that a "PFL coach" with the last name Fox is a finalist and maybe we all just assumed/hoped it was the Drake Fox...? Landon Fox was on campus today. Raeburn was there last week. My guess is that coached gets named in 24 hours and meets with team on Thurs. just before the boys head home for Spring Break.
Any student with any sense of adventure would make sure he makes arrangements with his instructors to get out of there as early as possible. I bet by tomorrow afternoon the campus is pretty empty. So some hirin' and shakin' needs to happen pretty quick. Now into the 4th week of search.

valpofb16

If Mark Labarbara does not name a coach before spring break, having since February 3rd to do so. It will be an extreme failure for him as an AD. Spring practice is supposed to begin the week after spring break. Can you imagine kids going home for two weeks without any direction for the program. I would have to imagine several players and their families would be concerned and begin viewing alternatives.