• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola and Drake NCAA Tourney

Started by valpo84, March 18, 2021, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Starting a thread for the Tourney and our new BFFs Loyola and Drake.  Good news for Loyola overnight as Moses Wright, ACC POY, will not be available for the Loyola game.  Should help open up the middle for Krutwig.  Big impact to my NCAA Players Draft, too.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2936821-georgia-techs-moses-wright-out-for-1st-2nd-round-games-of-2021-ncaa-tournament
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu84v2

Quote from: valpo84 on March 18, 2021, 07:57:19 AM
Starting a thread for the Tourney and our new BFFs Loyola and Drake.  Good news for Loyola overnight as Moses Wright, ACC POY, will not be available for the Loyola game.  Should help open up the middle for Krutwig.  Big impact to my NCAA Players Draft, too.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2936821-georgia-techs-moses-wright-out-for-1st-2nd-round-games-of-2021-ncaa-tournament

I do not expect Drake, who is missing their starting point guard, to get past tonight (though I hope that I am wrong). Loyola has a real shot of getting past Georgia Tech (though GT is very scrappy and will not lack for effort). I don't see much hope for Loyola to get past Illinois, but they will frustrate Illinois and keep it fairly close.

crusader05

I gave both Drake and Loyola the MVC love and picked them to get through the first round. Loyola's seeding is so bad and unfair because they can absolutely go far in the tournament if they didn't have to face Illinois in the second round!  Probably the 1 seed who is on the hottest streak right now(and my pick to win).

elephtheria47

I agree they both get one. A bad draw for Loyola, butttttttt.....if madness happens and they somehow pull the upset if they end up playing Illinois, they could be playing into the 3rd weekend again.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on March 18, 2021, 08:22:24 AM
I gave both Drake and Loyola the MVC love and picked them to get through the first round. Loyola's seeding is so bad and unfair because they can absolutely go far in the tournament if they didn't have to face Illinois in the second round!  Probably the 1 seed who is on the hottest streak right now(and my pick to win).

Two NCAA tourney wins between Drake and Loyola would be a good outcome for the conference.

Congratulations to Drake and Loyola for having such good seasons. The challenges associated with trying to have a successful season given the pandemic are immense...and both of these teams have really overcome those challenges.

usc4valpo

Drake goes down to the amen of Troy. Fight on!

Just Sayin

The 8 or 9 seed is the kiss of death in any tournament. They have the least chance to get past round two than any other seed combination other than the 14, 15 and 16 seeds. Better to be a 10, 11, 12, or 13 seed than an 8 or 9.   The 8 or 9 seed always play a 1 seed in round two. In the history of the tournament, the 1 beats the 8 seed 81% of the time and 92% of the time a 1 beats the 9 seed. I don't see Loyola winning the second round if they win the first round. Drake as an 11 seed has a better chance to get past round two than than Loyola does as an 8 seed.

bbtds

Anybody else glad Drake stopped playing like Valpo and started playing like Loyola?

I think the Shockers will adjust and pull it out but one never knows for sure if the momentum will switch back to Wichita,

VUGrad1314

So happy with the way Drake closed the half. I hope they can pull it out!

valpotx

Good comeback and game over the last 10 minutes
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Thank you Drake for the extra money!
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2021, 07:44:25 PMThank you Drake for the extra money!

How much does each MVC school get per win? 
I believe that we will win.

justducky

I wasn't expecting much from Hemphill and that is what he gave. Despite that it was a great game and win with some really ugly stretches. I was in and out so for the first 10 or 12 minutes that I viewed, I think Drake made one basket and 2 free throws during that viewing. I considered walking away from the TV so I could stop jinxing them. :o

VUGrad1314

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! Wow I thought they were going to get dominated the way they played during points of that game and the way they were getting killed on the glass! What a testament to their fighting spirit! I love this conference!

nkvu

Well done Drake. That's one for the Valley.

VU2014

That was a great game! Feels extra good to beat a Former Valley Team that thought they were too good for the conference.

elephtheria47

Excellent. Each unit was 280,300 in 2019. Not sure about 2021.

wh

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 18, 2021, 11:38:17 PM
Excellent. Each unit was 280,300 in 2019. Not sure about 2021.

The MVC has 3 units and counting. Using 2019 money:

$280,300 x 3 = $840,900/yr x 6 yrs = $5 million

Loyola's Final 4 run in 2018 earned 5 shares worth $8.4 million.

Using the 2019 unit value, 1-and-done conferences earn only $1.7 million.

Each MVC school gets a 10% share of the take. The 14 A-10 schools, for example, get a 7% share. The worst scenario is a conference like the MAC that almost never get 2 teams in the tourney, and they have to split their 1 unit 12 ways.

usc4valpo

Go Trojans baby! represent the Conference of Champions well over Drake! Make Olivia Jade proud!

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2021, 07:56:28 AM
Go Trojans baby! represent the Conference of Champions well over Drake! Make Olivia Jade proud!
Umm..... Can the moderator please remove this post  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

The Conference of Chumps is going down!
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

The Conference of Champions will stand proud! Ask the great Bill
Walton!

FWalum

Georgia Tech has some MEN playing basketball. Makes Loyola look small. Loyola makes a nice run to end the first half and leads 30-25.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2021, 03:11:10 PM
The Conference of Champions will stand proud! Ask the great Bill
Walton!

What once may have been the Conference of Champions 40 years ago, hasn't been anything other than the Conference of Chumps for the better part of 10 years now :).  Football sucks, basketball is just happy to be there, etc. 
"Don't mess with Texas"