• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021-2022 Schedule

Started by VUGrad1314, April 16, 2021, 09:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 01, 2021, 11:39:52 AM
not sure what you meant by your comment vu72. I am discussing basketball, and it would be an honor for Bill Walton to provide commentary on the Beac-Tree game on the Conference of Champions Television network.

Sorry about that. It had nothing to do with your comment.  I simply replied to this thread as a means of getting the political crap thread off of the basketball thread.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

Speaking of schedules, Crain's Cleveland Business reported today that former Horizon League foe "Cleveland State's marquee road games will bring in sizable guarantees. The Vikings' men's basketball program will play at BYU, Oklahoma State, Duke and Kent State this season. The four contests will generate a revenue total that is similar to the $325,000 that Cleveland State received for its nonconference slate in 2019-20."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

usc4valpo

I will take Walton over Dakich any day. I respect Walton as he was one of the most talented and smartest players to ever play college basketball. His rebounding technique and passing skills were outstanding.

The Beacs will take the tree down and the Stanford pep band with the Gilligan hats wont be playing Allright Now at the end. And Walton will be honoring Orville Redenbacher and his ingenuity in creating bigger kernals of corn. A wonderful evening it will be...

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 02, 2021, 11:21:23 AM
I will take Walton over Dakich any day. I respect Walton as he was one of the most talented and smartest players to ever play college basketball. His rebounding technique and passing skills were outstanding.

The Beacs will take the tree down and the Stanford pep band with the Gilligan hats wont be playing Allright Now at the end. And Walton will be honoring Orville Redenbacher and his ingenuity in creating bigger kernals of corn. A wonderful evening it will be...

I hope you are correct. I have a feeling this is too early in the process for this team just being put together and we most likely will fall to the Trees. (Fall to the Trees---Get it? Oh well.) Also I hope I am wrong. (heard that one before?)

VALPO LI

https://omny.fm/shows/union-street-hoops/the-2021-22-valparaiso-nonconference-episode?in_playlist=union-street-hoops!podcast

Luke Gore on Union Street Hoops breaks down the non-conference schedule.
Great conversation between Paul and Luke on the upcoming schedule. 
Shine on Vu

justducky

At Drake Dec 2. Didn't see that coming! SO----Loyola will host who on the 1'st?

IndyEIT777

Seems like we got a raw deal from the MVC only getting 3 Saturday home games vs. 5 Saturday road games. At least Missouri State at home is a Saturday.

vok22

We are also going to have to play a conference game without Kobe King now, as he won't be eligible till the 9th or 10th game of the season and we play Drake 7 games in. Not to mention it's AT the conference favorites.

justducky

Quote from: vok22 on September 14, 2021, 01:01:54 PM
We are also going to have to play a conference game without Kobe King now, as he won't be eligible till the 9th or 10th game of the season and we play Drake 7 games in. Not to mention it's AT the conference favorites.

I'm good with this! I was not expecting any favors so I'll take this over starting at Loyola on the 1'st. Our game will be the only Valley Thur the 2'nd game so maybe some better broadcast coverage ??? I hope so because we have a whole new roster to introduce to the world.  :thumbsup:

wh

Just purchased my season tickets. It's go time!

RS

wh .... how did you get tickets? Not even listed on athletic web site.

wh

I called and spoke with Erica (ticket manager) to find out when season tickets would be available for purchase. She said that application forms are being sent out this week. I asked if I could pay for mine over the phone, which I did. Similar to past seasons, season ticket packets will be made available for pickup starting with the upcoming "meet the team" event in Oct. Hope that helps.

RS

Thank you wh.  Answered all my questions.

elephtheria47

Nice. Congrats! Still same prices as two years ago or have they increased?

I think season tickets could be a smart investment this year. Buy the games for the entire season right off the bat. If things take a turn for the worse with COVID, I hope they'd stop selling single game tickets and still honor the season tickets to limit/reduce #s.

wh

The cost/game stayed the same, but with more home games than 2 years ago, cost/ticket is proportionally more. 

tjjvalpo

When is the " meet the team" event in October. I haven't received an invite for this, yet.

wh

Erica told me the date, but I forgot it by the time we got off the phone. My apologies. BTW I called it "meet the team" (which it is), but more accurately it's the men's and women's practice event for season ticket holders.

justducky

By Jan 17'th we will have played 7 Valley games with 6 against the perceived top 5. Included in this run are at Drake, Loyola, and UNI. Also home vs ISUr, MSU, SIU and UNI. I don't think it will take long for this bunch to gel so what is our record after 7?

tjjvalpo

The Drew's always said that The formula for winning the conference was win the games at home and go .500 on the road. So, I would like to think we will surprise people and go 5-2. But, if the pre-season predictions are right and we end up 7th, then we will likely be 3-4. I am hoping for 4-3, because I expect us get better as the season goes on.

justducky

ESPNU for our opener at Drake on Dec 2. Only Valley game that night so hopefully it will open some eyes to our possibilities.

talksalot

Speaking of Flagler University, coached by former VU guy Chad Warner...

Division II PreSeason National Poll... the Saints are #2

https://flaglerathletics.com/news/2021/10/27/MBB_1027_NABC.aspx

NOW do you see why?  This could be interesting...

"As we prepare each year for the Peach Belt Conference schedule, we are always looking for great games regionally to challenge and push our development," said Warner, who is entering his fifth season at the helm of the Flagler program. "We believe we have certainly found that in this slate of games with several games in Florida against multiple Sunshine State Conference opponents. We are also really looking forward to traveling to historic Valparaiso University to take on a Missouri Valley Conference team in the preseason. I believe that this schedule will be extremely challenging and extremely helpful in building our team."

The Saints are coming off a year that saw the team advance to the NCAA Division II Final Four as well as winning the D2 South Regional and the PBC regular and postseason tournaments.

vu72

For those of you who questioned scheduling two D2 (full scholarship) teams to start the season--Two teams ranked in the top 20 of D2 by the way... Get a load of this!!

I was surfing around after watching our Volleyball team beat UNI and came across the mighty Longhorn's game--yes, that Longhorn team--The University of Texas.  Who are they playing tonight? Texas Lutheran University  ???. For those not in the know, TLU isn't D2, they are D3!!! When their coach was asked about how good his team is, he responded-"not really sure, we have only been practicing for two weeks"  That would include no summer workouts and all the practice time D3's are allowed.  Texas, with 8 seniors, was up 27 at half.   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

It's great to see the department as a whole improving but it's also quite curious that we have been getting better and better in virtually every MVC sport except for the one that got us into the Valley in the first place.

valpo95

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 01, 2021, 09:12:59 PM
It's great to see the department as a whole improving but it's also quite curious that we have been getting better and better in virtually every MVC sport except for the one that got us into the Valley in the first place.

That seems like a cheap shot. Correct me if I'm wrong, yet I think the conference tournament seeding for Men's basketball has improved every year since Valpo joined the MVC? Of course, tying for fifth (and a #6 seed) is not yet where we want to the program to be, yet wouldn't this show improvement?