• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo leads the nation...

Started by vu84v2, December 14, 2011, 01:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

in 2 Pt FG% after Michigan and St. Mary's shot somewhat low 2 Pt FG% last night.

While this is a somewhat strange statistic, I do believe it is indicative of good team play on offense and generally good shot selection.

Crusader03

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 14, 2011, 01:38:09 AM
in 2 Pt FG% after Michigan and St. Mary's shot somewhat low 2 Pt FG% last night.

While this is a somewhat strange statistic, I do believe it is indicative of good team play on offense and generally good shot selection.

Definitely a good sign...means we're getting good looks and making the most of our opportunities.  Last year, I felt like we struggled to finish around the rim...much improved this season.

vusupporter

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 08:02:18 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on December 14, 2011, 01:38:09 AM

Definitely a good sign...means we're getting good looks and making the most of our opportunities.  Last year, I felt like we struggled to finish around the rim...much improved this season.
According to the last set of game notes, we were third in the nation in the same stat last year.

agibson

We often take a lot of 3's, and I don't expect that our overall FG% is amazing.

Maybe it represents an unusually low reliance on the midrange game?  Not a lot of long 2's, not a lot of pull up jumpers?   Either 3's, or slashing or passing in close?

valporun

It's also a sign that we are going to the rim a lot more physically than what we have the last few years. How often have Kevin, Richie, or anyone else gone to the free throw line because they were going to the rim stronger than we have in the past? Remember, the last two years, Cory would get real soft going inside, rather than just manning up and earning the foul by going for a hard layup. If we could only get more of those bunnies to fall, and earn a free throw with it, we'd score in the 80s a lot more.

vu84v2

Moving to #1 in 2 Pt FG% from yesterday was caused by St. Mary's and Michigan not having great shooting games last night.  Valpo is also 28th in overall FG% - an outcome of better 3 Pt shooting as of late.

Valpo was also up among the leaders last year in the category - so can't really say that things have improved because of Johnson going up soft.  I think that this is just an outcome of good offensive execution.

Crusader03

I think the difference is that Buggs is finishing better.  His % is in the low 50's compared to the low 40's last season.  Makes a big difference on this team.