• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

Id be okay with Lowery. We could, and have, done worse.

I think it's important to note that Lowery is a pretty typical career path. As we have mentioned in other posts about growing over 20 years, coaches know they only get so many bites at the apple. When youre young you hop on your first opportunity and believe you'll change everything you dont like. You dont. You move on. Second time around, you make sure the fit is right. Im hoping thats the case here. And someone with experience in the Valley can be a nice thing to have.

valpopal

Look for VU news incoming on more than one subject in the next day.

crusader05

Yeah I Feel like a lot of us have sat here and said "Lottich is a good man, he just needs more time" which sounds like a similar situation to Lowery. I'd hate to think that jumping on the Valpo job early and getting a trial by fire will forever be held against Matt as a reason to not give him a chance as a head coach again.

Also, pal, the Strongbow purchase news hit the Chicago Tribune already but I don't pay for a subscription so I couldn't read much past the title

may know

There have been coaches who had success, failed and got fired, and got hired years later and done really well after learning from their mistakes. Lowery's success this year as an assistant indicates his arrow is pointing upwards.

Just Sayin

vok22

It is concerning that a faction of the SIU fanbase credit him with the downfall of their program. That being said, it sounds like his main issue was recruiting. I can imagine he has way more recruiting connections now than he did 20 years ago. However, recruiting woes combined with a program that doesn't exactly have facilities that stand out to recruits is an issue. Further complicated by a CBB environment that means you have to recruit transfers, and sometimes even your own players, year in and year out.

What is the source of this rumor anyway?

vok22

Also notable that Paul Oren's post this morning did not mention Lowery.

crusader05

It came out of a vague reference to watch Chicago tomorrow. People assumed it met him. I think that it could mean him but, it's not a far drive from Milwaukee and Powell is from Joliet. Also, Chicago is Padilla's turf so it wouldn't be surprised if he's just more likely to leak to them OR is holding interviews in the city to avoid people being spotted on campus. Chairback implied the decision has been made already BUT i can't believe if it's a done deal it hasn't leaked yet

tiny707

News tomorrow "on more than one subject.."? New coach and new facility possibly?

crusader05

no it was announced that Valpo bought the land and old Strongbow in for a 2.2 million. It's in the General Valpo Forum.

Pgmado

Quote from: vok22 on April 04, 2023, 07:31:47 PMAlso notable that Paul Oren's post this morning did not mention Lowery.

My story only mentioned people that I have heard are candidates for the job. Much like Ed Schilling, the Valparaiso message board is the only place where I've seen Chris Lowery's name mentioned.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on April 04, 2023, 11:09:03 PM
Quote from: vok22 on April 04, 2023, 07:31:47 PMAlso notable that Paul Oren's post this morning did not mention Lowery.

My story only mentioned people that I have heard are candidates for the job. Much like Ed Schilling, the Valparaiso message board is the only place where I've seen Chris Lowery's name mentioned.

If I recall correctly, Lowery's and Schilling's names first surfaced here:

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/lets-speculate-valparaiso-head-basketball-coach-candidates/

This spawned the discussion here.

historyman

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2023, 03:30:53 AM

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/lets-speculate-valparaiso-head-basketball-coach-candidates/

Personally if Dr Small got those names from this discussion/podcast/website and then interviewed them and made a wise decision to hire a coach with much more experience and wisdom than they had before when they entered the coaching profession AND Valpo changed back into a winning program I would be especially grateful for those guys dreaming up those names.

One has to wonder how the assistant coaches are evaluated for that Big Ten Assistant Coach of the Year award.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

While Dr. Small may look at comments posted on this board, I am sure he isn't taking advice or suggestions from comments found on this board.  He is way ahead of this board in analyzing and getting a list of candidates for a potential hire...at least I hope he is.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: historyman on April 05, 2023, 06:00:18 AM
Quote from: wh on April 05, 2023, 03:30:53 AM

Personally if Dr Small got those names from this discussion/podcast/website and then interviewed them and made a wise decision to hire a coach with much more experience and wisdom than they had before when they entered the coaching profession AND Valpo changed back into a winning program I would be especially grateful for those guys dreaming up those names.

One has to wonder how the assistant coaches are evaluated for that Big Ten Assistant Coach of the Year award.

This was the first year where the Big Ten awarded an "Assistant Coach of the Year" award. Lowery got a lot of credit for turning around Northwestern's defense, which was a huge part of them finishing in the top three of the conference this season. This was his first season with Northwestern.

tiny707

Emanuel Dildy is out of the running per Father Harry. I think he probably made too much as an assistant at Oklahoma. Hopped around a lot too.

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on April 05, 2023, 07:38:46 AM
While Dr. Small may look at comments posted on this board, I am sure he isn't taking advice or suggestions from comments found on this board.  He is way ahead of this board in analyzing and getting a list of candidates for a potential hire...at least I hope he is.

Used the word "if"

It was not this board but a podcast/website.

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2023, 03:30:53 AMIf I recall correctly, Lowery's and Schilling's names first surfaced here:

This spawned the discussion here
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

In my judgement, Lowery is the most high risk high reward candidate. Of course, that's assuming he is or ever was a candidate lol. In any event, he reminds me of Brian Wardle in some respects. Both demand suffocating defensive play as a precondition to playing time. Both are authoritarian - my way or the highway. Wardle attracts talented players who don't mind being coached up because he has proven over time that his approach yields results.

I'm perfectly fine with someone like Wardle. If it's Lowery, so be it. Let's get this search over with, get this train back on the track, point it north,  and get on with it.

valpopal

historyman

tiny707

There was a shelter in place warning on campus with a heavy police presence last night. Paul was listening to a scanner while writing his story. Shelter in place was lifted. May be reason for delay?

NativeCheesehead

Beware these random accounts tweeting out rumors. They usually take a guess and if they're wrong they delete the tweet and nobody remembers. If they're right they crow on the rooftops for months afterwards. I'll believe the hire when a national reporter reports it and PO backs it up. Everything else is just wind.

wh

I was pulling for Roger 7 years ago. I'm certainly pulling for him now.