• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koala

And thank you valpopal, covufan, FWalum, nkvu  :)

valpotx

That is a really cool honor.  Would love to see him in the NBA someday :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Bryan Broekhoff? Hmm, never heard of the guy.

agibson

I didn't trivially find a box score, but looks like Rowdy picked up  5 points, 2 boards, and 2 assists in 138-130 victory for his "Europe" team.

wh

classof2014

Yeo definitely belongs in D1. Glad to see he's succeeding though.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2015, 04:09:27 PM
Clay Yeo named NAIA Div 2 college basketball national POTW

http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/schools/bethel-college/2015/01/27/Bethel-s-Yeo-named-national-Div-2-college-basektball-player-of-the-week-by-NAIA.html
On top of Clay getting National POTW in NAIA Div. II, the Bethel Pilots knocked off Greg Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats in their second meeting of the season, 88-85, in Marion on Saturday.

Indiana Wesleyan had one final shot to send the game into overtime as they trailed 88-85. IWU got the ball past midcourt and called a timeout with 4.3 seconds left. Bob Peters (SO/Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio) inbounded the ball to the far end of the court to Lane Mahurin (SO/Rockville, Ind.) who immediately found DJ Bettinger (SR/Richfield, Ohio). Bettinger was able to get a solid look at the basket but his shot just missed as Bethel escaped with the three point victory.

"They won the game," said Indiana Wesleyan head coach Greg Tonagel. "I wasn't disappointed with our effort today."

The game featured 13 ties and 23 lead changes. Neither team led by more than six points the entire game. The final two minutes of the game witnessed two ties and six lead changes.

"It was a very good game," continued Tonagel. "That's a good basketball team. It was a good challenge today and we have a lot we can learn from it."

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/article/4166.php

That is only the second lost of the season for Indiana Wesleyan, 20-2. The Wildcats had previously lost to the Knights of Todd Lickliter's Marian University.

sliman

Wonder if Greg had visions of his shot against Notre Dame?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: sliman on January 27, 2015, 05:21:01 PMWonder if Greg had visions of his shot against Notre Dame?
oh man...thanks for bringing back THAT memory.

Who else here was there?  Everybody?  Good.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

ouch!  Too Soon!... that was less than 20 years ago and it still hurts!

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on January 27, 2015, 04:56:28 PM
Quote from: wh on January 27, 2015, 04:09:27 PM
Clay Yeo named NAIA Div 2 college basketball national POTW

http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/schools/bethel-college/2015/01/27/Bethel-s-Yeo-named-national-Div-2-college-basektball-player-of-the-week-by-NAIA.html
On top of Clay getting National POTW in NAIA Div. II, the Bethel Pilots knocked off Greg Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats in their second meeting of the season, 88-85, in Marion on Saturday.

Indiana Wesleyan had one final shot to send the game into overtime as they trailed 88-85. IWU got the ball past midcourt and called a timeout with 4.3 seconds left. Bob Peters (SO/Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio) inbounded the ball to the far end of the court to Lane Mahurin (SO/Rockville, Ind.) who immediately found DJ Bettinger (SR/Richfield, Ohio). Bettinger was able to get a solid look at the basket but his shot just missed as Bethel escaped with the three point victory.

"They won the game," said Indiana Wesleyan head coach Greg Tonagel. "I wasn't disappointed with our effort today."

The game featured 13 ties and 23 lead changes. Neither team led by more than six points the entire game. The final two minutes of the game witnessed two ties and six lead changes.

"It was a very good game," continued Tonagel. "That's a good basketball team. It was a good challenge today and we have a lot we can learn from it."

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/article/4166.php

That is only the second lost of the season for Indiana Wesleyan, 20-2. The Wildcats had previously lost to the Knights of Todd Lickliter's Marian University.
I wonder if Greg is interested in moving up to Division I, either as a head coach (lower tier teams) or assistant at a major or mid-major program?  I'm sure he'll get some looks come March's coaching carousel season. 

classof2014

I wouldn't be shocked if there are a few openings in the HL.

Both Slocum and Moore should be gone, Moore definitely, and there have been rumblings about Jeter as well. YSU has been a death sentence for just about every coach and UIC has had success in the recent past. If Jeter is gone chances UWM will go with a low-major coach or an assistant at a mid to high major program.

Perhaps Greg can go to a YSU or UIC type?

agibson

Slocum's impending departure has been mentioned a number of times (not sure by how many different people) this season.

Any reason to think they're eager to get rid of him?

YSU's only had like nine seasons, out of 34 now in D1, with winning conference records.  Across the OVC, MidCon, and Horizon League.

Slocum's done better in the Horizon League than the last guy.  Even taking YSU to the "postseason"... for the first time since their NAIA days in the 40's and 50's?

Slocum's won a zillion games in his career, and surely is on that graphic they always used to show for Homer, and even seem to show for Coach K, etc.  Not sure why they calculate it this way, but they always seem to show "total career wins for active coaches currently coaching in D1, and we'll throw in any non-D1 wins they have too".  And Slocum's top 10, like Homer used to be.  And has passed Homer by now.  What's he now, 8th on the list?  Behind Rick Pitino, and maybe just got passed by Byrd at Belmont.  More wins than Homer Drew, more wins than Gene Bartow.  More wins than John Wooden!  Sure, it's a longevity award in part.  But, still.

I don't know the circumstances of the last YSU coach's, John Robic's, departure - but he seems to have landed more or less OK.  Assistant at Memphis and now at Kentucky.

Any reason to think that YSU's eager to get rid of Slocum?  That they're all of a sudden eager for a higher level of basketball achievement than they've managed... in the last 30 years?

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2015, 11:45:35 AM
Slocum's impending departure has been mentioned a number of times (not sure by how many different people) this season.

Any reason to think they're eager to get rid of him?

YSU's only had like nine seasons, out of 34 now in D1, with winning conference records.  Across the OVC, MidCon, and Horizon League.

Slocum's done better in the Horizon League than the last guy.  Even taking YSU to the "postseason"... for the first time since their NAIA days in the 40's and 50's?

Slocum's won a zillion games in his career, and surely is on that graphic they always used to show for Homer, and even seem to show for Coach K, etc.  Not sure why they calculate it this way, but they always seem to show "total career wins for active coaches currently coaching in D1, and we'll throw in any non-D1 wins they have too".  And Slocum's top 10, like Homer used to be.  And has passed Homer by now.  What's he now, 8th on the list?  Behind Rick Pitino, and maybe just got passed by Byrd at Belmont.  More wins than Homer Drew, more wins than Gene Bartow.  More wins than John Wooden!  Sure, it's a longevity award in part.  But, still.

I don't know the circumstances of the last YSU coach's, John Robic's, departure - but he seems to have landed more or less OK.  Assistant at Memphis and now at Kentucky.

Any reason to think that YSU's eager to get rid of Slocum?  That they're all of a sudden eager for a higher level of basketball achievement than they've managed... in the last 30 years?
I was going to say he might retire, but he's only 63. I would have pegged him for high 60s-low 70s. He looks 100. Maybe Tressel wants to improve the money sports, I mean they did just get rid of the FB coach, but he was sub par for YSU standards in football (Imagine, a winning record is still sub par, how much would we kill for a winning record in FB?)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 28, 2015, 02:58:59 PMMaybe Tressel wants to improve the money sports
Got to think that a sports minded president like Tressel isn't going to put up with this below mediocre basketball program.  Hiring him as president has got to be seen as a mandate to improve the "money" sports at YSU.  The league desperately needs some coaching changes just to add some interest and changes in style.  Kampe has certainly added some interest in the HL coaching ranks  :).
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on January 28, 2015, 03:33:48 PMHiring him as president has got to be seen as a mandate to improve the "money" sports at YSU.  The league desperately needs some coaching changes just to add some interest and changes in style.  Kampe has certainly added some interest in the HL coaching ranks

Here I wasn't even sure if basketball _was_ a money sport at YSU.  I figured football might be king, and mediocrity might be relatively acceptable in basketball.

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2015, 03:57:09 PMHere I wasn't even sure if basketball _was_ a money sport at YSU.  I figured football might be king, and mediocrity might be relatively acceptable in basketball.
I concede that Basketball surely isn't the same as Football at YSU, but come on, certainly Tressel won't let this continue.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Slocum has been terrible. That's why they are going to get rid of him. They should have canned him 4 years ago. His record is astonishingly horrible at YSU. If there was ever a case for a coach to get fired, it would be Slocum.

bbtds

I didn't realize this until looking it up but the last coaching change in the Horizon League was when Bryce Drew took over for his dad in 2011. That is some stability for the Div.I college coaching ranks.

Here are the head men's basketball coaches and the year they started

Bryce Drew--Valpo--2011
Billy Donlon--Wright State--2010
Howard Moore--UIC--2010
Brian Wardle--Green Bay--2010
Ray McCallum--Detroit--2008
Gary Waters--Cleveland State--2006
Rob Jeter--Milwaukee--2005
Jerry Slocum--Youngstown State--2005
Greg Kampe--Oakland--1984 (before OU became Div. I)

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2015, 07:42:22 PM
Quote from: sliman on January 27, 2015, 05:21:01 PMWonder if Greg had visions of his shot against Notre Dame?

Is this when we lost a close one at the United Center?
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Quote from: bbtds on January 28, 2015, 09:16:04 PM
I didn't realize this until looking it up but the last coaching change in the Horizon League was when Bryce Drew took over for his dad in 2011. That is some stability for the Div.I college coaching ranks.

Here are the head men's basketball coaches and the year they started

Bryce Drew--Valpo--2011
Billy Donlon--Wright State--2010
Howard Moore--UIC--2010
Brian Wardle--Green Bay--2010
Ray McCallum--Detroit--2008
Gary Waters--Cleveland State--2006
Rob Jeter--Milwaukee--2005
Jerry Slocum--Youngstown State--2005
Greg Kampe--Oakland--1984 (before OU became Div. I)

Greg Kampe is the third longest tenured coach in DI basketball. Behind Coach K and Jim Boeheim

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on January 29, 2015, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2015, 07:42:22 PM

Is this when we lost a close one at the United Center?

Yes.  We had the last possession down two and set up Greg for a three to win.It was during Scott's only year as head coach.  Greg missed.  Yes, I was there... :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

From where I sat, I swore it was going down...was already calling it "The Shot II" in my head.

Gah.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa