• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Tournament Details

Started by agibson, February 22, 2012, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

There are a bunch of Detroit fans in my hotel (Holiday Inn Express). Proudly wearing my VU baseball apparel all over this place  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on March 03, 2012, 12:28:03 AM
There are a bunch of Detroit fans in my hotel (Holiday Inn Express). Proudly wearing my VU baseball apparel all over this place  :)

I would be careful....Detroit Mercy is the school of hard knocks.  Careful. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 03, 2012, 08:17:55 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 03, 2012, 12:28:03 AM

I would be careful....Detroit Mercy is the school of hard knocks.  Careful. 

they might break down the hotel if they lose tonight

valpotx

Just ate breakfast with much of the CSU team, as well as Waters.  He sat at the table next to ours, and was talking strategy with his assistant coaches.  They talked about Ray McCallum for literally 20 minutes.  We will have to wait and see if his brilliant strategy of stopping Ray from driving, making him take outside shots, will work.  He kept repeating the same thing to them over and over in different ways, and you could tell they were just half listening as he was talking  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

What was the line from the postgame?  "We missed nine layups?"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2012, 02:57:13 PM
What was the line from the postgame?  "We missed nine layups?"

yeah, that was it. i remember watching that press conference in the chat w/ run and stl, and repeatedly asking each other how many layups they missed that night.

StlVUFan

I can report that once again a viking opponent has taken a nasty spill in a crowd and no foul was called (no surprise) and not one single viking foul called has  met with anything bit angry looks from their bench.  Yep, typical CSU basketball.

StlVUFan

And Brad Stevens has the gall to say Valpo is too physical.

valpo84

valpotx -- looks like CSU isn't listening to anything Waters is saying. (2d half observation)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

StlVUFan

valpotx

CSU/Detroit was a fun game to watch (got there for second half).  Many stupid shots down the stretch for CSU did them in. 

Atmosphere for Valpo/Butler was awesome.  It reminded me of what it was like when I was in school, good job fans!  I especially loved the chants at the end of the game towards the Butler section which loves to talk trash: "why so quiet?" & "same as last week"  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 03, 2012, 05:29:49 PM
I can report that once again a viking opponent has taken a nasty spill in a crowd and no foul was called (no surprise) and not one single viking foul called has  met with anything bit angry looks from their bench.  Yep, typical CSU basketball.

Are you serious?  CSU got seriously screwed on multiple non-calls at the end of the game.

chairback

Mccallum has no control of his team.  Not sure who else saw this but Detroit player Donavan Foster told Coach Mccallum he was "f"ing stupid for taking him out of the game one point.  He said it to him multiple times.  Mccallum nor any assistant coaches did anything to him.

There was another time where Ray Jr told his dad to take a time out and his dad said no.  He looked at his dad and called the timeout anyways.

StlVUFan

03, at the time I posted that, it was still in the first half.  It was true up to that point.

StlVUFan

Furthermore, I didn't say anything about whether csu was getting screwed.  I commented that they didn't seem to believe they had committed a single foul to that point.  From my perspective they not only had, but had also gotten away with some that weren't called.  For the record, I saw at least a handful of fouls called on csu that Waters *did* approve of, so at that point what I said was *no longer* true.

wh

Quote from: chairback on March 03, 2012, 11:11:32 PM
Mccallum has no control of his team.  Not sure who else saw this but Detroit player Donavan Foster told Coach Mccallum he was "f"ing stupid for taking him out of the game one point.  He said it to him multiple times.  Mccallum nor any assistant coaches did anything to him.

There was another time where Ray Jr told his dad to take a time out and his dad said no.  He looked at his dad and called the timeout anyways.

I also heard Homan yell at Ray, Jr. during a break in the action, "Get me the f-ing ball."  Junior just walked away.  Another time he walked over to the Detroit bench area and yelled in an angry voice, "I need a blow!"  Yet another time I saw him yelling at Ray, Sr. and pointing angrily at him.  McCallum lowered his head and walked away.  Plus, the players looked like they didn't want to be on the same court with each other.  Amazing dysfunction, immaturity and lack of control.  There is no justice in the world if that team wins on Tuesday.       

Crusader03

Quote from: wh on March 04, 2012, 12:07:27 AM

I also heard Homan yell at Ray, Jr. during a break in the action, "Get me the f-ing ball."  Junior just walked away.  Another time he walked over to the Detroit bench area and yelled in an angry voice, "I need a blow!"  Yet another time I saw him yelling at Ray, Sr. and pointing angrily at him.  McCallum lowered his head and walked away.  Plus, the players looked like they didn't want to be on the same court with each other.  Amazing dysfunction, immaturity and lack of control.  There is no justice in the world if that team wins on Tuesday.       

We heard this too...and then Holman proceeded to miss two straight bunnies.

vuweathernerd

mccallum senior is gonna have to get them under control if he wants any sort of improvement next year. bad chemistry will destroy teams. ucla in recent years is a prime example, if you believe the author of the sports illustrated article. though nelson came out and said the claims were crap and he was taken out of context.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 03, 2012, 10:00:31 AM
Just ate breakfast with much of the CSU team, as well as Waters.  He sat at the table next to ours, and was talking strategy with his assistant coaches.  They talked about Ray McCallum for literally 20 minutes.  We will have to wait and see if his brilliant strategy of stopping Ray from driving, making him take outside shots, will work.  He kept repeating the same thing to them over and over in different ways, and you could tell they were just half listening as he was talking  :)

It didn't work!  ;D

StlVUFan

I think you're being a bit hasty with that conclusion.  Maybe that's just the way they talk to each other.  It's not my cup of tea either, but that's totally irrelevant.  The only thing that matters -- with respect to how they do Tuesday night -- is whether it is *their* cup of tea.  This is Detroit we're talking about.  I don't think it's entirely inconceivable to think that they just talk that way to each other.

I don't mean to imply that I approve of it -- I don't.  Again, all that matters is if they approve, if we're analyzing whether they are ripe for a meltdown.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 04, 2012, 03:23:00 PM

I think you're being a bit hasty with that conclusion.  Maybe that's just the way they talk to each other.  It's not my cup of tea either, but that's totally irrelevant.  The only thing that matters -- with respect to how they do Tuesday night -- is whether it is *their* cup of tea.  This is Detroit we're talking about.  I don't think it's entirely inconceivable to think that they just talk that way to each other.

I don't mean to imply that I approve of it -- I don't.  Again, all that matters is if they approve, if we're analyzing whether they are ripe for a meltdown.

There is a lot of truth to what you say, Stl. Although if Ray Jr called a time out after his father told him he wasn't going to call time out then there is a definite disciplinary problem.

wh

From the Detroit board:

We had a few Valpo fans who squeezed into our section behind our bench. Since we arrived for the first game and picked up our tickets at the U-D checkin table (why did we have to sign by our names, by the way?) we received two tickets, one for game 1 and one for game 2, plus a special necklace that gave us first-game priority behind our bench. Despite all this, Valpo nuts who were worried that we weren't going to leave and give them their seats squeezed into our rows. Why they would want to sit with our screaming bunch is beyond me, but many of them refused to leave. I mentioned it to one guy who insisted on taking his seat (of course, right during game action) but he was too dense to understand.

I was one of those with tickets in Section D (behind Detroit's bench).  We arrived about 5 min. into the game-1, only to find Detroit fans sitting in our seats.  I didn't confront them because experience tells me this never goes well.  You try to nicely tell someone that they're in your seats and they just look at you with a blank stare and just sit there hoping you'll go away.  It's about that time that I want to pick them up and throw them about 5 rows down on top of their knucklehead friends, who are doing the same thing to someone else.  I can only imagine my reaction if someone told me I can sit in your seat because I have "a special necklace."  Instead, my wife (knowing how these things can quickly get out of hand) quickly intervenes and tells me to go get an usher. 

This time,  rather than confront anyone, I went straight to the usher and asked him to get the people to move.  Much to my surprise, he tells me that "someone" had decided that Detroit fans could sit in the area behind their bench during their game and then they would move to their assigned seats for game-2.  I said, "Ok, where are we supposed to sit?"  He said that there are plenty of empty seats in the mezzanine.  Just pick some and sit there.  I asked what happens when the fans who have those seats show up and want us to move?  No response.  To make a long story short, we had to move twice during the first game, and sit in the mezzanine to boot. 

My point is if someone agreed to this (and apparently they did), they should have added a note to our tickets indicating that our seat assignments are only good for the Valpo game and that we will have to fend for ourselves in the other game.  Instead, we were caught totally off guard.  From what the Detroit poster said, you can see the general confusion and needless confrontation it caused between Valpo fans with Section D tickets and Detroit fans sitting in their seats.   Way too much over thinking by someone wanting to please one group without stopping to consider the fallout from it.  The bottom line is everyone there has an assigned seat.  Simply go find it and plop your butt on it.  If it's where you want to be - great.  If not, too bad.   

letsgovu

did you have tickets for both games?  or just tickets for game 2.

wh

We had one ticket with one seat assignment good for both games, just like everyone in every other section.  By the way, we have the same seats for Tuesday's game.  I hope to God I don't find some Detroit knuckleheads sitting in them when we get there. 

letsgovu

what... wow I didn't realize that although now I see that it did say that on the email.  darn it!

you are right to be upset.  that is messed up.