• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Travel Guide

Started by blackpantheruwm, February 22, 2012, 11:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackpantheruwm

All right, everyone.  Time to come up with a comprehensive "Travel Guide" for fans coming in to Valpo.

What are the sights and hotels in the area?  Great places to hang out for students? Alumni? Fans?  What is there cool to see on campus?

Let's put this together for the fans from all the schools!

I had a project like this going before, but since the tourney is at Valparaiso it would be nice to finish this by the weekend so people have time to prepare.

valpotx

Yes, what hotel is best to stay in?  I am not sure if anything new has been put in besides the Fairfield, Hampton, Courtyard, and Holiday Inn Express
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2012, 12:05:30 PM
Yes, what hotel is best to stay in?  I am not sure if anything new has been put in besides the Fairfield, Hampton, Courtyard, and Holiday Inn Express

The Super 8 is a nice, cheaper option:  http://www.super8.com/hotels/indiana/valparaiso/super-8-valparaiso/hotel-overview

PatVU07

My typical game weekend (this weekend happens to be one) includes:
A stay at holiday inn express or Hampton decent price and kept up pretty well
Tony's pizza(amazing but cash only)
The game
Duffys place, pass times, and north sides for "refreshments"

StlVUFan

Committed, traveling Panther fans know about Buffalo Wild Wings on Lincolnway, right?  Pretty good sports bar with free wifi.

agibson

Quote from: PatVU07 on February 22, 2012, 12:45:23 PMTony's pizza(amazing but cash only)

Since it's cash only, this must be Tony's the Italian place downtown?

I'd not thought of them for pizza!  Thin crust?  If it's recommended, I might have to try it sometime...

I like Gelsosomo's fairly well.  But, there are a huge number of pizza places in town, most of which I've not tried...  (Someone liked Giggles?)

vu72

Here are a couple of sites, really doesn't appear to be much going on at the campus, although you could always go to see the current exhibit at the art museum!

City of Valparaiso site:

http://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/

Here is a restaurant site:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/172/19625/Indiana/Valparaiso-restaurants    I'd say Strongbow's is always a good bet although I haven't eaten there is several years!

Another chamber of commerce sit:

http://www.valparaisochamber.org/community/valparaiso-lodging.php   

Good luck!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

MattCarter

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on February 22, 2012, 11:32:13 AMAll right, everyone.  Time to come up with a comprehensive "Travel Guide" for fans coming in to Valpo. What are the sights and hotels in the area?  Great places to hang out for students? Alumni? Fans?  What is there cool to see on campus? Let's put this together for the fans from all the schools! I had a project like this going before, but since the tourney is at Valparaiso it would be nice to finish this by the weekend so people have time to prepare.

Best Hotels (in my personal opinion order)

1. Country Inn
2. Holiday Inn Express
3. Fairfield Inn
4. Hampton Inn

Those are also the closest to the University and actually walking distance from the ARC (especially Country Inn.  Country and Holiday Inn are newest hotels in town followed by Hampton, Fairfield,and Super 8.  Courtyard being oldest in town)

5. Super 8
6. Courtyard
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

MattCarter

Again these are just my opinions.

Best Pizza place (sit down, carry out, or delivery) is Greeks Pizza
http://www.greekspizzeriavalparaiso.com/

Not cheapest in town, by far, but the best tasting!  Knots are awesome.  Credit cards if your total is like over $25 and they have an ATM inside.  Also serve some booze.

MattCarter

Valpo89

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 01:16:40 PM

Since it's cash only, this must be Tony's the Italian place downtown?

I'd not thought of them for pizza!  Thin crust?  If it's recommended, I might have to try it sometime...

Never thought of Tony's for Pizza? That's what they are famous for!
It's right next door downtown to BW3. Of course, people from Valpo say that BW3 is next door to Tony's.
Best pizza, right up there for sure with Greeks I suppose.

PatVU07

IMO BWs is the worst place ever for wings.  There is a Wings Etc off Sillhavy that has better food and better service.

Tony's pizza is awesome, again in my opinion, better than Greeks or Gelsosimos.  The deep dish, which isn't quite like Gino's or any Chicago deep dish is the way to go. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: PatVU07 on February 22, 2012, 02:20:47 PM
IMO BWs is the worst place ever for wings.  There is a Wings Etc off Sillhavy that has better food and better service.

Tony's pizza is awesome, again in my opinion, better than Greeks or Gelsosimos.  The deep dish, which isn't quite like Gino's or any Chicago deep dish is the way to go. 

I actually don't go there for the wings.  I go there for the wifi and the salads ;)  So, I mentioned it not as any kind of culinary recommendation.  I also know that the traveling Panther brood has gone there before on their way to the ARC for the annual matchup.

agibson

Quote from: PatVU07 on February 22, 2012, 02:20:47 PMTony's pizza is awesome, again in my opinion, better than Greeks or Gelsosimos.  The deep dish, which isn't quite like Gino's or any Chicago deep dish is the way to go. 

Ah, the deep dish, not the thin crust?  89, do you concur?

Do they do take-out pizza?  Delivery?

PatVU07

They do take out, I'm not sure on delivery.

PatVU07

http://www.tonysplacepizza.com/Home_Page.php

I'll warn you now, obnoxious music is played when the webpage opens.

Crusader03

RESTAURANT GUIDE:

*Gelsasamo's is the best, in my opinion.  It's been years since I've had Tony's.  Not a big fan of Greeks, Giggles or the other chains.

*Wings Etc>Buffalo Wild Wings all day, every day...food and atmosphere is better in my opinion. 

*Maria Elena's near campus (which now has a new name...anyone remember what it is?) has a tasty diverse menu.  Mexican, Italian and American food.  El Salto and Margarita's are not bad for Mexican either.

*Several very cool, but slightly expensive places downtown---Pikk's Tavern, The Valley and Bon Femme are all good

*Blackbird Cafe is the best deli in town...right on Lincolnway as well.

SITES TO SEE:

*There are no sites to see in Valpo.

agibson

Quote from: MattCarter on February 22, 2012, 01:21:15 PMBest Hotels (in my personal opinion order)

1. Country Inn
2. Holiday Inn Express
3. Fairfield Inn
4. Hampton Inn

Those are also the closest to the University and actually walking distance from the ARC (especially Country Inn.  Country and Holiday Inn are newest hotels in town followed by Hampton, Fairfield,and Super 8.  Courtyard being oldest in town)

5. Super 8
6. Courtyard

My sister really liked the Songbird (B&B), mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

To be clear, the Country Inn is the only one really adjacent to campus.  And they're all a mile (ok 0.9 miles) or more walk from the ARC.  And the Courtyard's closer than some of the others (the Super 8's off by itself, a bit further; the other four are relatively near each other, with the Country Inn a bit closer than any of the others).  Even the Super 8 is, I guess, only 1.6 miles for 32 minutes walking (from Google).

More hotels in Merrillville and Chesterton.

agibson

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 22, 2012, 02:46:14 PM*Maria Elena's near campus (which now has a new name...anyone remember what it is?) has a tasty diverse menu.  Mexican, Italian and American food.  El Salto and Margarita's are not bad for Mexican either.

It's now Gabriela's, but with the same menu.  I think it passed from the previous owner to their brother/sister, with Gabriela, the new owner's daughter, heavily involved in operations.

Someone mentioned Strongbow's as a sort of a stalwart.  It's certainly classic Valpo.  But, I'd think of Bistro 157 as the act to beat (at least six years ago; I've not had a chance to go again, since moving back to town).  Some people like Dish well, if we're aiming at the "premium" category.  And Don Quixote's is worth a mention (the only spanish restaurant in Indiana!).  As a student, especially, I liked Billy Jack's well (now "BJ's"?) as a sort of a "date" place.

agibson

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 22, 2012, 02:46:14 PMSITES TO SEE:

Harsh.  But, I suppose, we're not loaded with museums, and the like.  Campus activities will be pretty non-existent, since it's spring break.

The chapel (one of the largest collegiate chapels in the country/world) is well worth a visit. 

Depending on the weather, the Indiana Dunes state park and National Lakeshore are worth a visit.  Valparaiso's got a great disc golf course.

Crusader03

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 02:54:17 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on February 22, 2012, 02:46:14 PM*Maria Elena's near campus (which now has a new name...anyone remember what it is?) has a tasty diverse menu.  Mexican, Italian and American food.  El Salto and Margarita's are not bad for Mexican either.

It's now Gabriela's, but with the same menu.  I think it passed from the previous owner to their brother/sister, with Gabriela, the new owner's daughter, heavily involved in operations.

Someone mentioned Strongbow's as a sort of a stalwart.  It's certainly classic Valpo.  But, I'd think of Bistro 157 as the act to beat (at least six years ago; I've not had a chance to go again, since moving back to town).  Some people like Dish well, if we're aiming at the "premium" category.  And Don Quixote's is worth a mention (the only spanish restaurant in Indiana!).  As a student, especially, I liked Billy Jack's well (now "BJ's"?) as a sort of a "date" place.

That's right---Gabriela's....we ate there recently and enjoyed it.  It's a nice date atmosphere at night. 

Billy Jack's is still pretty good...I haven't eaten at Don Quixote's...always thought it was crazy expensive.  Strongbow's is good, as is Kelsey's.  I need to give 157 a try sometime

Crusader03

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 03:00:56 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on February 22, 2012, 02:46:14 PMSITES TO SEE:

Harsh.  But, I suppose, we're not loaded with museums, and the like.  Campus activities will be pretty non-existent, since it's spring break.

The chapel (one of the largest collegiate chapels in the country/world) is well worth a visit. 

Depending on the weather, the Indiana Dunes state park and National Lakeshore are worth a visit.  Valparaiso's got a great disc golf course.

Yeah, I'm mostly kidding.  The campus is nice, but that will take about an hour max to see it all.  If the weather was warmer, the Dunes are great....but it will probably be too cold to be enjoyable. 

There's a reason that most of us drive to Chicago or South Bend for our entertainment. :)

valpotx

I assume that Red Hot is no longer around?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2012, 03:08:14 PM
I assume that Red Hot is no longer around?

No idea what that is.