• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Travel Guide

Started by blackpantheruwm, February 22, 2012, 11:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Unfortunately, the warmer weather this week has left the region. Instead, It looks like Valparainwindsnow is going to live up to its name this weekend. The forecast is for rain and possible thunderstorms on Friday followed by wind and an accumulation of slushy snow Friday night into Saturday with gusts and colder temperatures plus a few more snow showers Saturday night through Sunday morning.

agibson

Quote from: lowposter on March 02, 2012, 09:42:47 AM
I am going to kindly disagree about the best chicken in NW Indiana.

IMHO the best chicken in the area is Harolds Chicken.  It is Chicago legendary.  What is not known is there is a store in Gary.  Buyer beware...I have not been there and have been warned not to go there for safety reasons.

I am simply saying that if the Harolds in Gary is as good as Chicago, then Tiebels should not be crowned King of Chicken without the benefit of a playoff!

Ooh - Harold's.  I only had it a few times, in Hyde Park, but it's certainly an institution.  However, I'm skeptical whether a Gary branch of a Chicago chain should be in the running in a Valpo-centric discussion.  I do wonder if we should be more open to our neighbors to the west (I was very impressed by the beach in Miller!), but it's a hike for take-out chicken.  Then again, Schererville (is that the right location?) is already a bit of a stretch. 

I'll have to try Tiebel's chicken sometime.  I was there once, for a wedding reception, but don't think we had chicken.

And, if we're talking Schererville we should mention that very good middle eastern place on 30.  Is it called Alladin's?  Great, fresh pita, hummous, soups, etc.  Fantastic stuff - I was very impressed (six years ago).

valpotx

Ok, stayed in Chicago last night, as well as most of today.  Took a quick drive with the gf around Valpo at 9 pm tonight, and it has changed A LOT in just 8 years.  Many more retail locations and restaurants, and the campus looks great.  I look forward to walking around in the day tomorrow, and beating Butler at night!
"Don't mess with Texas"