• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012-2013 Expectations Begin

Started by valpo84, April 12, 2012, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Cliston94

Based on returnees and transfers, VU should be the overwhelming HL favorite next year. I don't understand why Katz is so high on Butler, aside from its recent history. It looks like Butler's got one shooter coming in, but the Dawgs lose Nored, and the rest of the team couldn't throw the ball in Lake Michigan standing on the beach. Butler's solid on defense but very shaky on offense. Anyone who thinks VU isn't a solid favorite over Butler next year didn't see either team play last year.

Now, that said, VU is going to have to find some toughness to go with its talent and experience. We all saw how Detroit ran Valpo out of its own gym in the HL title game, and the key thing that happened was that the tougher team won. VU is going to have to get a little more hard-nosed, mentally and physically, to win the league and make any noise in the NCAAs. I hope the Crusaders do toughen up over the offseason, because this club has the talent to be the best VU team since 1998, if not better. If the team plays to its potential, VU could win 25 games or more.

sectionee

Butler has both Clarke and the freshman kid who can really fill it up from outside.  Combine them with Stevens' coaching, Smith, Marshall, Jones and Hopkins and Butler should be quite solid next year assuming they can fill Nored's leadership role.

With the added athleticism if these new guys can play at all Valpo should be back on top again.

wh

We dominated Butler this past season.  With the players we have returning plus the addition of Capo, Dotity, etc., we should be heavily favored to lead the league next year.  That said, no question butler looks better on paper.  Butler fans are always bitching about the HL being a 1-bid league.  Let's see  if the Bulldogs can improve enough to do something about it.

justducky

To repeat what I started saying last summer, we should be the Horizon League team to beat in 12-13. As much as I hated to see Edwards departure it might not have much early or total season impact if the bigs that stayed are injury free. We should be stronger and deeper both inside and out. An old experienced team with few question marks and the best depth of talent perhaps ever. Given some healthy bodies, if Butler can take back the H.L. crown then they will certainly have earned it.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2012, 10:48:53 PM
We dominated Butler this past season.  With the players we have returning plus the addition of Capo, Dotity, etc., we should be heavily favored to lead the league next year.  That said, no question butler looks better on paper.  Butler fans are always bitching about the HL being a 1-bid league.  Let's see  if the Bulldogs can improve enough to do something about it.
I don't know where this macho is coming from, wh, but you sell it really well.  You got game.  The bad-ass backspin is extremely well played.   :thumbsup:

zvillehaze

Any word on whether Valpo is beefing up the non-conference schedule for next year?  With so much talent, playing a tougher schedule would certainly help Valpo build an at-large resume, if that's one of their goals.  I know Mark Lazerus thinks non-conference games don't matter for Valpo, but I tend to disagree.

StlVUFan

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 13, 2012, 09:56:14 AM

Any word on whether Valpo is beefing up the non-conference schedule for next year?  With so much talent, playing a tougher schedule would certainly help Valpo build an at-large resume, if that's one of their goals.  I know Mark Lazerus thinks non-conference games don't matter for Valpo, but I tend to disagree.
I can't speak for Lazerus, but it could be that the main reason why non-conference games don't mean anything for Valpo is precisely because the non-conference schedule is not noteworthy (or in some cases is it too noteworthy, if you get my meaning).

I think he says that in-season, after the non-conference schedule is already set.  If he's saying it now prior to even knowing what it will be (we know one or two but that's it), that'd be different.

zvillehaze

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 13, 2012, 10:00:35 AM
I think he says that in-season, after the non-conference schedule is already set.  If he's saying it now prior to even knowing what it will be (we know one or two but that's it), that'd be different.

He hasn't commented on the upcoming season yet, but he traditionally runs that article/blog after the IPFW loss.

Has anyone heard if LMU will be returning the Bracket Buster game next year?  That would be a quality home game if they do.  Any other ideas on who Valpo might face in the non-conference schedule?

crusadermoe

We still owe Missouri State a return away game for the 2011 bracketbuster/     Unless Valpo has made a deal not to owe that one somehow.  That is a solid RPI game. 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 13, 2012, 01:29:06 PM
We still owe Missouri State a return away game for the 2011 bracketbuster/     Unless Valpo has made a deal not to owe that one somehow.  That is a solid RPI game. 

that one's due this year. but i'd like to see us get lmu to visit this year as well. definitely need something to balance out the likely appearances of iun/ipfw and other non-d1s.

StlVUFan

We also have another game at Oakland U.

If we play in Springfield, I'll have to do my best to get to that game, only about 3 hour drive.  If they want to play SIU-Carbondale, I could swing that too, of course ;)  SLU would be even better...

zvillehaze

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 13, 2012, 04:45:25 PM
We also have another game at Oakland U.

If we play in Springfield, I'll have to do my best to get to that game, only about 3 hour drive.  If they want to play SIU-Carbondale, I could swing that too, of course ;)  SLU would be even better...

So the Oakland game last year was the start of a new deal and not a return for Valpo playing in the Oakland tourney?  (No idea, just asking).  I assume the IUPUI and Northern Illinois will also be returning games from last season, is that right?

Anyone know if Valpo will be participating in another Gazelle Group event this year?  Those add games, but unless you get to host like Valpo did last year, aren't really something a top-50 team like Valpo cares to participate in.

vu84v2

A few comments:
-Everyone is talking about Butler - don't forget about Detroit.  While we all question their coaching, they played very well in the second half of the Horizon League season and the conference tourney.
-I would still like to see one more decent quality big to replace Edwards.  That is a significant loss (when Edwards was playing well)
-How about another road trip to Lawrence?  Combine it with the trip to Missouri State.  South Florida and Long Beach State played respectably here this year, Davidson won in KC and it vaulted all of them to good seasons...why not Valpo in 12-13? (yeah I know they came here in 10-11)

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm not that worried about Detroit, because even with McCallum, they lose almost everyone else of note:  no more Minnerath, no more Holman, no more Chase Simon, no Donavan Foster or LaMarcus Lowe.  So good luck with that.  By my math, they lose over 60% of their minutes played for the season; put another way, they lose 50% of the minutes from the HL championship game and we lose 8% (Edwards).  So, Jason, the only thing that really scares me about you is your last name--Calliste.

Unless you're afraid of Juwan Howard, Jr., and nobody was except WMU fans ;) HEYO

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 15, 2012, 12:18:38 PM
I'm not that worried about Detroit, because even with McCallum, they lose almost everyone else of note:  no more Minnerath, no more Holman, no more Chase Simon, no Donavan Foster or LaMarcus Lowe.  So good luck with that.  By my math, they lose over 60% of their minutes played for the season; put another way, they lose 50% of the minutes from the HL championship game and we lose 8% (Edwards).  So, Jason, the only thing that really scares me about you is your last name--Calliste.

Unless you're afraid of Juwan Howard, Jr., and nobody was except WMU fans ;) HEYO

isn't minnerath going for a medical redshirt and to play this coming season

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 15, 2012, 11:31:20 AM
A few comments:
-Everyone is talking about Butler - don't forget about Detroit.  While we all question their coaching, they played very well in the second half of the Horizon League season and the conference tourney.
-I would still like to see one more decent quality big to replace Edwards.  That is a significant loss (when Edwards was playing well)
-How about another road trip to Lawrence?  Combine it with the trip to Missouri State.  South Florida and Long Beach State played respectably here this year, Davidson won in KC and it vaulted all of them to good seasons...why not Valpo in 12-13? (yeah I know they came here in 10-11)

I guess I don't understand your point.  Edwards left for a couple of reasons.  Probably missed Florida and family (he has a child to worry about) but certainly part of it was the fact that his playing time would be limited because of Capo and Fernandez.  Capo is bigger, tougher and probably as good an offensive player.  Add Vashil with shot blocking skills and another two scoring guards and Richie just became expendable.  So we add TWO more "decent quality bigs" not just one.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on April 15, 2012, 02:23:07 PMisn't minnerath going for a medical redshirt and to play this coming season

he could pull a Tonagel/MacPherson--and that would be slightly more scary--but it's not a done deal yet.

if and when that happens, and their incoming bigs turn out to be Holman sans attitude...well, yeah, that would be scary.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

To add one further point on UDM--they graduate just two starters from their NCAA game, but 54% of the minutes, and four of the top six players (in terms of minutes) from that game:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320762305

If the new guys aren't good, it'd be for McCallum as if Bryce ended up with Jason Jenkins instead of Bill & Bob ;)

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu72 on April 15, 2012, 05:00:58 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on April 15, 2012, 11:31:20 AM
A few comments:

I guess I don't understand your point.  Edwards left for a couple of reasons.  Probably missed Florida and family (he has a child to worry about) but certainly part of it was the fact that his playing time would be limited because of Capo and Fernandez.  Capo is bigger, tougher and probably as good an offensive player.  Add Vashil with shot blocking skills and another two scoring guards and Richie just became expendable.  So we add TWO more "decent quality bigs" not just one.

My thoughts exactly. Being concerned about who will fill Edwards' spot for next season just makes no sense. We will have more firepower down low then we did last year.

EddieCabot

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on April 17, 2012, 03:26:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. Being concerned about who will fill Edwards' spot for next season just makes no sense. We will have more firepower down low then we did last year.

You can say the same about the backcourt.  At this point, I can't see the need for Valpo to add anyone else for next season.  If I were Bryce, I'd use the scholarship on a.) a quality DI transfer, b.) a high school player who doesn't mind redshirting a year or c.) hold it for the following year.  You could make the argument for a guy like John Hart from Purdue, who will be immediately eligible and may win a few games, but I sense he wants to go somewhere to get more playing time and that likely wouldn't happen at Valpo.

valpofan11

Did someone forget UDM's Doug Anderson? :crazy: I know he doesn't play defense, but he can JUMP TO THE MOON! We should be good next year with the guys we return.

lowposter

Edwards leaving for "family reasons" makes sense with that new information. 

His statement about being in Miami (for NIT game) is a little clearer now.

So, is there one scholarship left?  I have lost count.

lowposter

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: lowposter on April 17, 2012, 06:08:39 PMSo, is there one scholarship left?  I have lost count.

lowposter

Yes--according to the scholarship chart and eligibility thingie there are 12 on roster for next year.

valpopal

I'm told that Valpo will play Nebraska in the 2012-2013 season.