• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Chemistry Building

Started by sfnmman, May 11, 2015, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfnmman

Does anyone know the status of the new chemistry building?  Valpo posted several job openings in the Chemistry Department and stated groundbreaking for the new building was to be in the early summer of 2015.  Are there any renderings of the proposed building?  Which architectural firm is doing the design?  Let's have an update if possible.

agibson

>several job openings in the Chemistry Department

Several?  I do see one for an Associate Prof, with a "full consideration" date that just passed.

The new science building still seems to be on track.  (That's how I usually hear it referred to, "science building", or a "wet lab" building, or "Phase 1" of the new science building, etc.  But, indeed, it looks like Chemistry faculty will sit there.)

It was presented to the Board of Directors a few weeks ago.  I don't know how much is public by way of drawings, etc.  I've seen some things, but don't even have copies at my finger tips.

As I understand it, some digging is likely to start this summer, with full board approval still forthcoming.

sfnmman

Thanks for the update.  I found two notices for chemistry professors - Tenure-Track Assistant Professor Position (Physical Chemistry) and Associate Professor Position (Areas of Organic and Environmental Chemistry).

Vale O. Paradise

I did some deep Googling and found a Powerpoint presentation the Provost gave about the building in September 2014.

Key quotes:
• The planning that has been completed to date has
allowed us to identify the overall science facility needs at
Valpo
• The programming process has determined that Valpo
needs 155,000 sq ft of space for the natural sciences
• We are using a "CM at risk" approach to this project, as
opposed to a "design build" approach
• This alternative approach is warranted by the complexity
of the project
• The timeline is very aggressive

Here's the link to the full presentation. New building stuff starts on page 9:
http://www.valpo.edu/provost/files/2014/09/2014_09_18_Mark-Biermann-Faculty-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

agibson

Quote from: sfnmman on May 12, 2015, 07:53:43 AM
Thanks for the update.  I found two notices for chemistry professors - Tenure-Track Assistant Professor Position (Physical Chemistry) and Associate Professor Position (Areas of Organic and Environmental Chemistry).

Interesting - maybe the first was on a more "traditional" academic year time frame.  It seems to no longer be listed at
http://www.valpo.edu/provost/faculty-postings/

They've seemed understaffed for a while - so good for them to get two hires.

Vale O. Paradise

A company called RFD is listed as the Laboratory Design Consultant. Hastings & Chivetta is listed as the architect.

http://www.rfd.com/about_us/new_projects

agibson

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on May 14, 2015, 11:12:55 AMA company called RFD is listed as the Laboratory Design Consultant.

This was new in the last twelve months. Hastings & Chivetta has been with the project longer.

valpopal

[tweet]601450157155033091[/tweet]

okinawatyphoon

Any more news on this? Details? I searched for a while to find a rendering but was unsuccessful. Perhaps we're looking at a "late" summer ground-breaking?  ???
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

78crusader

Does anyone know anything about the proposed new Chemistry building? 

Paul

ps Hastings and Chivetta is the architectural firm.  Check out the Wabash College Athletics Center on the H & C projects page.  Wow -- this is what VU could really use.  If we are going to build a rec center, let's wait until we have the money to do it like Wabash did. 

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on July 02, 2015, 07:13:06 PM
Does anyone know anything about the proposed new Chemistry building? 

Paul

ps Hastings and Chivetta is the architectural firm.  Check out the Wabash College Athletics Center on the H & C projects page.  Wow -- this is what VU could really use.  If we are going to build a rec center, let's wait until we have the money to do it like Wabash did. 

I have a friend whose son will be studying chemistry at Valpo starting next year.  He emailed the Chair of the Chemistry Department asking about the pending building.  Unfortunately I can't find the email he received but it seems to me he said it was still in the planning stage and that it all went according to plan it would be done in the fall of 2016.  Please don't quote me on this.  I'll ask my friend for clarification.  Needless to say, it is in the works.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Here is the actual email from the head of the chemistry department:

The first phase of the new science complex is in the planning stage.  We are close to completing the architectural work, and hope to break ground this summer.  If all goes according to plan, we would move into the building in 2017.

The Chemistry department and part of Biology would move into this first phase building.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Engerer

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 06, 2015, 03:02:05 PM
Any more news on this? Details? I searched for a while to find a rendering but was unsuccessful. Perhaps we're looking at a "late" summer ground-breaking?  ???

Good time for a ping.  It's not been on my mind this summer.  I was playing disc golf last night with one of the faculty organizers of the effort, but it didn't come up.  I'll see what news I can find.

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on July 02, 2015, 07:13:06 PMDoes anyone know anything about the proposed new Chemistry building? 

What would you like to know?  I don't have anything new since May, but I knew a few things then.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on July 05, 2015, 04:27:29 PM
The first phase of the new science complex is in the planning stage.  We are close to completing the architectural work, and hope to break ground this summer.  If all goes according to plan, we would move into the building in 2017.

The Chemistry department and part of Biology would move into this first phase building.

To add a little to what Prof. Engerer said.  It sounds like some work on-site (e.g. soil samples) has begun, that final board approval is still forthcoming (maybe even this weekend?), and that more serious work (site development) could be in September. 

78crusader

This is from the Architectural firm, Hastings & Chivetta.

The square footage is small, but this is just Phase One of the project.

Paul

http://www.hastingschivetta.com/projects/stem-village-phase-i/

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on August 11, 2015, 09:37:48 AM
This is from the Architectural firm, Hastings & Chivetta.

The square footage is small, but this is just Phase One of the project.

Paul

http://www.hastingschivetta.com/projects/stem-village-phase-i/

The page seems to have disappeared.  Still available, sort of, in a google cache.

valpopal

Update: Checked out the site for the new science building today. The fencing and a construction trailer are in place. Groundbreaking ceremony takes place tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

vu72