• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20170117/illini-bluffs-forward-taylor-bruninga-receives-scholarship-offer-from-eastern-illinois

How can UIC even make a concerted effort.  Next year has then with zero openings + a commit without a spot + 8 transfer/scholarship offers.

Good to know we are at least mentioned.  If we think he is a good fit, I'd imagine Alec's success along with an open contest for PF should make us lucrative.

VU2014

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0120-20170119-column.html

Hutton: Crown Point's Sasha Stefanovic keeps getting better at 'pulling cork'
Mike Hutton Post-Tribune

Crown Point coach Clint Swan is not afraid to admit it.

If he's having a bad day, Swan sometimes watches video of Sasha Stefanovic's last shot in regulation against Valparaiso in last year's sectional championship game.

Stefanovic made a 3-pointer from NBA distance at the buzzer with a Vikings' defender in his face to send the game into overtime. The Bulldogs won 59-54 in double overtime.

Stefanovic? He's seen it a few times, but he's not living in the past.

"It was a great moment — I'll never forget it," he said. "But I don't want that moment to define me. It was just one shot in one game."

Stefanovic, a 6-foot-5 senior guard, is a basketball blue blood. His father, Lou, was a star at Merrillville and Illinois State.

Swan, who rarely plays freshman on the varsity, couldn't help it with Stefanovic. He was scoring "25 or 26 points in games that lasted 24 minutes" when Swan brought Stefanovic up midseason.

Swan calls Stefanovic a "pull-the-cork" player.

Some players have all the skills to be great. They can dribble, pass, rebound and defend, but when the game is on the line, they wilt. Stefanovic has it all, and he delivers in crunch time.

He can "pull the cork."

With the graduation of Indiana recruit Grant Gelon and point guard Blake Bonin, Stefanovic has had to adjust. He's had to figure out different ways to pull the cork.

A variety of junk defenses and double-teams have been used against him. Teams face guard him. They bump him. They run different defenders at him.

And yet, he's better than ever, averaging 20 points and seven rebounds.

He's bigger and stronger and more confident. His best games have come against the Bulldogs' best opponents.

He scored 25 points and grabbed 12 rebounds against Griffith. He had 25 points and 10 rebounds against Indianapolis Pike, and he scored 28 against East Chicago Central.

His play has reached a consistent level of excellence.

Swan isn't surprised.

"The great ones find a way to reinvent themselves," he said. "He's found different ways to score."

The Bulldogs are a confident team. They can play several different styles, fast or slow.

They can throw it inside to Andrew Kenneally, a 6-7 bruiser, or Ken Decker, an inside-outside post. They are the best team in Northwest Indiana.

And Stefanovic is their leader.

According to Swan, Stefanovic's biggest improvement this season is playing through contact. He's averaging over six trips to the free-throw line per game. He isn't afraid to barrel through the lane.

Stefanovic said it's part of the progression.

"I am stronger and faster than I was last year," he said.

The only setback for Stefanovic this season has been a high ankle sprain. That caused him to sit out the first two weeks of July.

That was a difficult two weeks. It was showcase time for AAU players. He wanted to play badly.

Stefanovic, who has 21 offers from mid-majors, thought he could draw interest from bigger schools. Didn't happen, but he's still hoping.

A deep run for the Bulldogs in the tournament could make it happen.

Swan said Purdue and Vanderbilt are interested, but neither have offered. He pointed out the transfer rule that allows college graduates with a year of eligibility to play immediately, there are always late-season scholarships available.

Stefanovic is careful about what he says, calling his top four choices Valparaiso, Evansville, Loyola and Northern Iowa.

"My heart is with those four schools," he said.

For now, though, he is just looking for more chances to pull the cork and make more high school memories on the basketball court.

mhutton@post-trib.com

Twitter @MikeHuttonPT

TOP 10

With records through Wednesday. Last week's rankings in parentheses.

1. Crown Point 11-2 (2)

2. Michigan City 12-4 (1)

3. Merrillville 10-4 (3)

4. Valparaiso 12-2 (4)

5. Andrean 9-1 (5)

6. Griffith 12-1 (7)

7. East Chicago Central 8-6 (8)

8. Chesterton 9-5 (6)

9. Lowell 11-3 (9)

10. LaPorte 11-3 (NR)

Player of the Week: Senior guard Sasha Stefanovic scored 25 points and grabbed 12 points Saturday to lead Crown Point to a 68-56 victory over Griffith.

M

My heart is with those four schools, ya know unless a bigger school comes around.

VU2014

QuoteMy heart is with those four schools, ya know unless a bigger school comes around.

Yeah I didn't feel anymore confident from this article. Really hoping Sasha choses Valpo, he's a game changer. If he went to Vanderbilt with Bryce that would be an absolute punch to the gut.

I also thought Crown Point's Coach mentioned: "Swan said Purdue and Vanderbilt are interested, but neither have offered. He pointed out the transfer rule that allows college graduates with a year of eligibility to play immediately, there are always late-season scholarships available." in an interview was very telling. Thats a pretty specific comment to me.

Anyone familiar with Purdue/Vandy's roster and potential transfers or early graduate candidates?

Purdue has -1 scholarships available for next season. http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/purdue

PG: 1 senior (P.J. Thompson), 2 Freshman (Carsen Edwards, Tommy Luce (walk-on)), offered 3 PG for the 2018 class

SG: 1 senior (Dakota Mathias), 1 Junior (Ryan Cline), 1 Freshman 4 star (Nojel Eastern), they've offer 4 SG for the HS 2018 class

SF: 2 senior (Basil Smotherman, Vince Edwards), 2 Juniors (Eden Ewing (JUCO), Grady Eifert), 1 Freshman (Aaron Wheeler), offered 2 SF HS 2018 class

Vanderbilt has 2 scholarships open: http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/vanderbilt

Vandy has 2 scholarships and no outstanding offers on verbal commits and looks like they need a SG...

PG: 3 Seniors (Riley LaChance, Larry Austin, Jr., Phillip McGoin), 2 Freshman (Saben Lee, Maxwell Evans), 4 offers at PG for the 2018 class

SG: 1 Senior (Matthew Fisher-Davis), 1 Sophomore (Payton Willis), 0 Freshman, 7 offers for the SG position for the 2018 class

SF: 1 Senior (Jeff Roberson), 1 Junior (Joseph Toye), 0 Freshman, 2 offers for the SF position for the 2018 class

covufan

Sasha's recruiting is in flux, which is good for him.  Last summer he had at least 21 offers, and narrowed that list down to 5 (now 4).  It was alluded to at the end of summer that Sasha wanted to make a decision early, so he could concentrate on his senior basketball season.  I'm sure that the majors starting coming to him more (Purdue, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt), and suggesting that he wait until their scholarship situation firms up in the spring.  With an almost average of 2 transfers per Division I school for basketball, it is quite possible one of those schools, which he seems to have narrowed to Purdue and Vanderbilt, could make an offer. 

I think we are all hoping for Sasha to realize that Valpo is the right choice!

Valpo89

Someone told me he really wants to go to Purdue. With Spike Albrecht there, that probably helps Sasha's case.

wh

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 20, 2017, 10:19:35 AM
Someone told me he really wants to go to Purdue. With Spike Albrecht there, that probably helps Sasha's case.

Sasha holding out hopes for a Purdue offer at this late stage is like chasing a girl who won't go out with you but continues to string you along. Even if you finally win her over, you may find she wasn't worth the wait.

ValpoHoops

Matt Lottich and Luke Gore are at the Crown Point/Chesterton game tonight.

Also in attendance is Matt Painter.

wh

From the NWI Times:

With Purdue coach Matt Painter and Valparaiso's Matt Lottich on hand to see Stefanovic, the 6-foot-5 wing put up 22 points — including his first dunk in a high school game — six rebounds, three steals and three assists.

"I wasn't aware (Painter) was here until I saw him walk in," Stefanovic said. "You want to make a lasting impression, but you try not to change anything, always play the same way, no matter who's watching."

NativeCheesehead

No way we get this kid, he's clearly gunning for Purdue.

valpospartan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 21, 2017, 10:24:05 AM
No way we get this kid, he's clearly gunning for Purdue.
Hopefully Purdue won't want him.

oklahomamick

Wasn't this recruit at our last home game too? 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Yes he was, sat right next to him.  I told him Alec was setting some marks for him to shoot for. He laughed and said it looks that way.

FieldGoodie05

M

Sasha, the other fella is coming to tomorrow's game.

VU2014

@ESPN1050_Ryan is an University of Illinois blogger and @prepbullseye runs a basketball scouting website for the state of Illinois. The Muller they are referring to in the tweet is Dan Muller the Illinois State coach that just offered Taylor yesterday on the visit. @ESPN1050_Ryan has been high on him.

https://twitter.com/ESPN1050_Ryan/status/823291538373480449

valpo64

Bruninga plays on the same AAU team as Alec did and they both had the same coach.  The Coach, along with Taylor sat with the Peters family at this afternoon's game.  Alec's Dad said that Taylor is of the same mold as Alec, a hard worker an outstanding shooter from anywhere on the floor.  He either is averaging about 37 ppg or scored that many.  The recruit and Coach and AP's group seem to be pretty close.  No question the kid is as big boy.  Could this kid become the next AP?  Mr. Peters seems to think it is possible.  LET'S GO VALPO!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on January 22, 2017, 07:38:05 PM
Bruninga plays on the same AAU team as Alec did and they both had the same coach.  The Coach, along with Taylor sat with the Peters family at this afternoon's game.  Alec's Dad said that Taylor is of the same mold as Alec, a hard worker an outstanding shooter from anywhere on the floor.  He either is averaging about 37 ppg or scored that many.  The recruit and Coach and AP's group seem to be pretty close.  No question the kid is as big boy.  Could this kid become the next AP?  Mr. Peters seems to think it is possible.  LET'S GO VALPO!

Coach had Bruninga sitting over near where Homer Drew sat for Bryce's games.  He's a slender guy, good shoulders which makes one think he can fill in.  Because right now his weight will have him getting bounced around in college.

You're really guy though, after the game Bruninga made his way from the seat backs over behind the VU bench where we sat this game.  They waived at each other and smiled.

Hoping we get a good shot at bring Bruninga on board.  Though we do seem to have (2) commits and (1) Bruninga possibility of a log jam at the 4.  The way I see it (it's terribly early) is that Bruninga is a 4, Parker is a stretch 4 and who really knows anything on Mr Merrillville.

M

With Lexus, Max, Tevonn, Joe, Bakari and anyone else I'm leaving out at guard we might as well go after big guys.

VU2014

QuoteHoping we get a good shot at bring Bruninga on board.  Though we do seem to have (2) commits and (1) Bruninga possibility of a log jam at the 4.  The way I see it (it's terribly early) is that Bruninga is a 4, Parker is a stretch 4 and who really knows anything on Mr Merrillville.

Bruninga strikes me as a guy who could give opposing coaches match up fits. He was quite a bit shorter his freshman sophomore year of high school/AAU play, so he's a former point guard and developed guard skills so he can handle the ball pretty darn well for a guy who is 6'8"-6'9". Coach has let guys like Shane and under Bryce guys like E. handle the ball with height. From the clips I've seen from him (which there is quite a bit more content the last few weeks), he could play a natural 4, (mainly) stretch 4, 3, 2 (depending on match up) and 1 for the occasional coach's set when they call a play for him. He's a versatile kid and he has a good jump shot to play the 2 or 3 (when needed) and our coaching staff loves guys who are versatile and can take advantage of match ups by mixing and matching guys at different positions.

Mileek McMillan is the same way. He was a very late bloomer in terms of height, so he's a big guy with guard/small forward skills and ball handle. From what I hear Merrillville is using him as center and traditional power forward unfortunately because he's the tallest kid on the roster with size. If you look at the clips from AAU games the coaches there were using him as a 3/stretch 4 and allowing him to be a hybrid player. From what I've seen he doesn't have the great jump shot Bruninga has but is still solid.

From what I've seen with Parker Hazen he can handle the ball a little and is pretty good at taking the ball to the hoop. Parker is a pretty athletic kid and throws down some great dunks. He's more of traditional forward. He's going to need to work on the jump shot and mid range game to keep defenders honest. Parker's brother Brachen (Arkansas Freshman/ one time Valpo recruit) was a good shooter but Parker is a better athlete.

I should clarify this all from my very untrained eyes, so take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm no coach or scout. Our coaching staff knows what their doing.

Kyle321n

Quote from: M on January 22, 2017, 07:53:28 PM
With Lexus, Max, Tevonn, Joe, Bakari and anyone else I'm leaving out at guard we might as well go after big guys.

The only guards we will have in 2018-2019 as of right now is Micah and Bakari. For bigs we'll have Derrik, Jaume, and Mileek. We are going to need a big recruiting class of guards coming in next season so we can replace Lexus, Max, Tevonn and Joe and preferably have them in the system for a season so we're not playing freshmen heavy rotation minutes.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer