• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

If you're honestly taking the Valpo blinders off there seems now little chance he ends up anywhere but Purdue. And honestly why not? For crying out loud the Valpo Park Department is about to paint a Purdue court at Tower Park. Donation or not, that's a hell of a recruitment point for Painter.

NativeCheesehead

Lol the Tower Park Court just got a little more symbolic.

M

wh

Good school, good program, wish him the best. As I've noted before, NWI is enamored by 3 universities - IU, Purdue and ND. Valpo basketball is held in higher esteem nationally than it is inside the Region. It's just not cool enough. And yet, we can and do attract 3-star talent in a variety of locales, once you get beyond the fence line. NWI is quirky and dysfunctional in many respects. Just add this to the mix. Time to move on to more fertile ground.

VULB#62

On the lemons to lemonade side, we lost a good kid to B1G Purdue, not Loyola or Ball State.  That reflects well on the caliber of player we are in contention for.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2017, 01:27:18 PM
On the lemons to lemonade side, we lost a good kid to B1G Purdue, not Loyola or Ball State.  That reflects well on the caliber of player we are in contention for.

I can only imagine the feeling of accepting an offer from a BIG Team.  We really had no chance once the offer from Purdue came down.  But, as we all know, the bright lights sometimes aren't as appealing once you realize you aren't going to be THE guy and playing backup for your entire career sucks and doesn't really prepare you for basketball beyond college.

Valpo has a long history of getting Power 5 talent after they have had a taste and didn't like it.  Witness Joe Burton and Bakari Evelyn of late.  Do you really think we would have had a snow balls chance of getting either to commit coming out of high school??  Burton had offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Texas A & M and many others.  Not saying Sasha will ultimately end up at Valpo, but stranger things have happened.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

Quote from: M on February 03, 2017, 12:16:16 PMTime to offer Bruninga?

Yeah, I say go after him hard. He's shown some interest in us and I've always liked what I've seen about him. Besides the other SG (Greg Elliott) we extended an offer to just got one from Michigan State so I doubt he's going to commit to us. Then that leaves us with the only outstanding (formal) offer left to the Canadian project center Axel.

VU2014

QuoteThen that leaves us with the only outstanding (formal) offer left to the Canadian project center Axel.

I'm willing to bet the coaching staff pulled the offer once we signed Jay. I don't think he's coming here.

vu72

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 03, 2017, 01:55:44 PM

Quote from: M on February 03, 2017, 12:16:16 PMTime to offer Bruninga?

Yeah, I say go after him hard. He's shown some interest in us and I've always liked what I've seen about him. Besides the other SG (Greg Elliott) we extended an offer to just got one from Michigan State so I doubt he's going to commit to us. Then that leaves us with the only outstanding (formal) offer left to the Canadian project center Axel.
[/b]

In the class of 2017.  \We have offers out to two kids for 2018.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I would like the Valpo coaching staff to offer Tai Bibbs who came in for an unofficial visit this summer. He's 1-2 guard and can really shoot. His recruiting has sort of blown up the last few months and it's probably too late to get serious in the recruiting process to make an impression. We put a lot of eggs in the Sasha Stefanovic basket. It will be curious to see what happens now.
https://twitter.com/dhrecruits/status/748155078364790784

2 outstanding offers as far as we know. Greg Elliot isn't coming here. He has very high major offers like Michigan State and Marquette. I haven't even heard any buzz linking us. Axel I don't think is coming here either, because he was offered before Jay was in the picture. I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

So my thinking is we have 3 open scholarships. With only one possibly public courting of Taylor Bruninga. Which would be a great addition but he's getting a ton of late looks from mid majors now. Taylor Bruninga is visiting Bryce's Vandy this weekend. Creighton is giving him a look.

Then there is also the uber athletic Alton Thompson from St. Pats Illinois who came to the UIC game a few weeks ago. I can't give an educated opinion on the guys game other then to say I've heard could be a player in the Jordan Coleman mold who was very athletic but other parts of the game are not developed yet.

I'm sure the coaching staff is looking at other players, but I don't want them to settle. I'm guessing they may add another freshman and then look at the transfers available after the season. Might even keep an open scholarship open next season to pick up midseason transfer next season.

NativeCheesehead

It's an interesting line you have to walk. You want the best talent, obviously, but how much of your finite recruiting resources do you commit to guys you have little to no chance to get? WH made one of the best points i've read on this board in a long time. We are more well regarded outside the region than in it. And past and current ADs and Pres have really made no effort to change that. If we made a conscious effort to market our Basketball program outside of Valpo only we would have seen the fruit by now. Heck, even a push into southern Chesterton could maybe get a couple hundred more fans per game.

We continue to see being an excellent mid-major program as the ceiling. Rivalry aside, I respect the hell out of Butler for saying "We want to be the next Duke." Will they ever get there? Probably not. But as Lombardi said, "We strive for perfection. And when we fall short we still have greatness."

I'll save the rest of this rant for after the season, but I think it sums it up that as you drive back home from Chicago, you will pass multiple billboards that read "The Region's University". No Valpo logo to be found.  That's right. A directional NAIA commuter spin off has claimed that title uncontested. 

VU2014

QuoteIt's an interesting line you have to walk. You want the best talent, obviously, but how much of your finite recruiting resources do you commit to guys you have little to no chance to get? WH made one of the best points i've read on this board in a long time. We are more well regarded outside the region than in it. And past and current ADs and Pres have really made no effort to change that. If we made a conscious effort to market our Basketball program outside of Valpo only we would have seen the fruit by now. Heck, even a push into southern Chesterton could maybe get a couple hundred more fans per game.

We continue to see being an excellent mid-major program as the ceiling. Rivalry aside, I respect the hell out of Butler for saying "We want to be the next Duke." Will they ever get there? Probably not. But as Lombardi said, "We strive for perfection. And when we fall short we still have greatness."

I'll save the rest of this rant for after the season, but I think it sums it up that as you drive back home from Chicago, you will pass multiple billboards that read "The Region's University". No Valpo logo to be found.  That's right. A directional NAIA commuter spin off has claimed that title uncontested.

This is very debatable. I've talked to a few people who say the administration has supported the Athletics Departments then I've talked to other say that haven't.

I fall into the category of ML has done the absolutely best with the resources provided to him. We are never going to out advertise our way into becoming the majority fan base in the region. With Purdue, IU and ND having an incredible amount of history and generational alumni support in the region we just realistically are not going to be the biggest and baddest in the region. The only way we become a Butler is if the stars align and we go on a few Butler like tourney runs and almost force the respect and cache onto the program and make region watch us.

My point of "contention" with President Heckler and the Board is that if you want gain the regional notoriety not only from a sports standpoint but also as a destination educational institution then we them to back the athletics more, specifically the men's basketball program. The only other sport that could gain wide spread attention to the school is if we had a D1 FBS football program and I don't see that ever happening for multiple reasons. I'm not saying we need to create Oregon or Alabama football level facilities but just need to step it up and have a vision. People are sick of the "we need a new ARC" argument, and if you classically get the old "we can't fill the ARC to full capacity so why would we build a new one". Not saying we need all the shiny new toys right away but I'm saying we need leadership at the very top of the University to start creating a vision to plan to take the program to another level. Sorry for my long wind rant but I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing the very top of the University invests and back the program, because I don't see it (at least not backing it to my expectation of what they should be doing).

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 03, 2017, 01:02:07 PMNWI is quirky and dysfunctional in many respects.
Did you just call me quirky and dysfunctional?  >:(

Quote from: wh on February 03, 2017, 01:02:07 PMGood school, good program, wish him the best. As I've noted before, NWI is enamored by 3 universities - IU, Purdue and ND. Valpo basketball is held in higher esteem nationally than it is inside the Region.
Why would any region kid want to play for a second class program who has a dying fan base and little student interest? Really- I mean if we really were any good then obviously teams like IU, Purdue, ND and Butler would be willing to play us. OBVIOUSLY that would not be a problem!

Few notes from BPI---Our strength of record is now at 42.   Borderline
BPI end of season projections--- Indiana 104 -looks like NIT bound at best.
                                            Texas Southern 76  Wonder how they will be seeded?
                                            Wright State 74      These guys scare me!
                                            Oakland 52            Times two!!
                                            Notre Dame 51      They are in a tailspin.
                                            Butler 43               One of the better Butler teams of recent years.
                                            Purdue 29             Good choice for Sasha!
                                            VU 23                  Wait! This must be some kind of mistake!  :o No wonder the selection committee pays little attention to BPI. Don't worry folks! I am sure that the committee will resolve these conflicting numbers to the benefit of the Power Five.

FieldGoodie05

For now and the last ______ years we are best at this type of mix.

50% Domestic (some regional)
25% Transfer
25% International

This may not make up the 13-man roster.  But I'd argue it makes up the  dynamic of the 7-8-9 man rotations we use.

We tried regional very strong this year, worked out 2/3 guys.  I'd call that somewhat successful...if both players contribute by Soph/Junior years.

But I'm thinking Matt Lottich knows this, we see a small 2017 recruit list on Verbal Commits partly because he's working the transfer/INT'L market.  In Lottich I trust...

I think we'll see 1-2 more offers show up in short order with the Sasha chip having fallen "relatively" early.  But we might only see 1 commitment before season ends and 1 more in the spring/summer because of the nature of transfers/INT'L recruiting.

What's our biggest need position/skill set in your eyes?  PF? SG? 

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on February 03, 2017, 02:48:15 PMThen there is also the uber athletic Alton Thompson from St. Pats Illinois who came to the UIC game a few weeks ago. I can't give an educated opinion on the guys game other then to say I've heard could be a player in the Jordan Coleman mold who was very athletic but other parts of the game are not developed yet.

Looking at his videos he appears to be pretty good but take a look at the kid giving him the assists (Xavier Pinson). He's a 2018 grad but has mad ball handling skills. No look and behind the back passes that are laser sharp. He's quick, can run the floor shoots and guards pretty well too. Of course highlight clips always show the best ... but still. Check him out.

covufan

Wish Sasha success at Purdue.  Last summer when Sasha indicated that he wanted to make a decision early and then didn't, I was worried that Purdue may have asked him to hold on a bit until their scholarship situation solidified.  Congrats to Sasha.

FieldGoodie05

Little surprised here, he (TAYLOR Bruninga) is clearly talented enough to offer.  Is Coach holding off because he has another juco or transfer here?  Parker Hazen is probably more of a 3 if we develop his shot.

VU2014

QuoteLittle surprised here, he (TAYLOR Bruninga) is clearly talented enough to offer.  Is Coach holding off because he has another juco or transfer here?  Parker Hazen is probably more of a 3 if we develop his shot.

We have plenty of open scholarships (3 open) to offer. I'm also wondering what is the hold up. Maybe they are trying to continue to establish a relationship.

We need impact talent. Bakari Evelyn and Joe Burton could be those impact guys next year, but there is still unknown there. Joe will only have a 2 yrs of eligibility and Bakari will have 3. I'd personally like to see us get one impact guy each class. (yes I know thats a tall ask but should be the recruiting goal).

Parker and Mileek are good recruits but not sure either will become a force in the HL.

FieldGoodie05

Greg Elliot is going P5.  Okongo is ice fishing somewhere.  Are we really going to wait until after the season to find out on (3) scholarships that are open.

At best we give (1) to Kiser.  The Canadian has had zero offers from any other school.  Are we looking for that type of player to develop?  We already have Kiser, Merrillville guy, and Smits to develop.

Can Parker Hazen give us meaningful freshmen minutes?

I've watched VU since 2000, but never this close to interact on the forum.  Can some of the elder statesman give us noobs an education on how recruiting timelines have worked in years past?

Are we almost always in the lurch for knowing all our offers?  I'd expect we nearly never know those we have contacted/recruited.  Or do we normally know more.

Knowing how private the Drews are, I suspect this is par for the course?

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on February 05, 2017, 01:32:33 PMI'm wondering if there was a mutual agreement between Lottich and Kizer that he'd get a scholarship after this season. I don't want put down Kizer but I'd like the coaching to pursue higher ceiling talent. There are things to like about Kizer, plays solid D and high effort but nothing I've seen stands out.
My observation was the same as yours but I just checked his season totals to get a better overview.

He has played in 16 games for 106 minutes, shoots 57%, 80% FT, 25 RB, 12 assists, 1 TO, 3 steals, 2 blocks for a total of 20 points. This is limited data but you can extrapolate it to an assist every 9 minutes, a rebound every 4.3, and a turnover every blue moon.  :o  NOT BAD Give him the money and have somebody teach him how to hit the 3 pointers.

VU2014

Way off topic but Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are hands down the greatest of all time!! Ton of respect! Sports Legends!!

M

Wrong topic, wrong thread...I'm not sure either can help us next year  :crazy:

ValpoFan

So three years ago, at this time of the year, we had 4 open scholarships and we heard about two Canadian guards (T. Walker and Max Joseph) that were verbally committed to Valpo.
Only in May did we find out that a Croatian wing was also coming. Around a month later, D. Walker was added as a JUCO transfer.
I think that we may end up with a similar situation with an international recruit and a transfer.