• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: ValpoFan on February 06, 2017, 01:19:16 PM
So three years ago, at this time of the year, we had 4 open scholarships and we heard about two Canadian guards (T. Walker and Max Joseph) that were verbally committed to Valpo.
Only in May did we find out that a Croatian wing was also coming. Around a month later, D. Walker was added as a JUCO transfer.
I think that we may end up with a similar situation with an international recruit and a transfer.

Thanks, great example to help those of us new to following the recruiting game.  JUCO is immediate impact as well as int'l (barring a Vashil repeat of his freshmen year).  I like that, let's get our growing pains confined to 2017/2018 with a bunch of new faces should they justify the scholarship.

I think my timeline for recruiting news is what P5 fans can expect, not VU.  Good perspective.

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 05, 2017, 03:28:16 PMKnowing how private the Drews are, I suspect this is par for the course?

Bingo. The Drews were much more private about their recruiting efforts and would come in with surprise recruits like Cory Johnson, Kevin Van Wijk, David Skara (although that obviously backfired on Valpo), Hrvoje Vucic, Max Joseph, Tevonn Walker and many others that seemed to suddenly appear in a Valpo uniform.

I do believe that Coach Lottich is and will be much more open about his recruiting efforts. In these current times of open social media it's truly hard to keep things hush-hush.

VU2014

QuoteBingo. The Drews were much more private about their recruiting efforts and would come in with surprise recruits like Cory Johnson, Kevin Van Wijk, David Skara (although that obviously backfired on Valpo), Hrvoje Vucic, Max Joseph, Tevonn Walker and many others that seemed to suddenly appear in a Valpo uniform.

I do believe that Coach Lottich is and will be much more open about his recruiting efforts. In these current times of open social media it's truly hard to keep things hush-hush.

Yep the Drews kept things quite, but just in the last 3-4 yrs the recruiting news has changed. The AAU coaches and high school coaches tweet out and tell everyone they can about which teams are scouting their players to attract more attention in hopes of drawing more interest.

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on February 07, 2017, 08:54:41 AM
QuoteBingo. The Drews were much more private about their recruiting efforts and would come in with surprise recruits like Cory Johnson, Kevin Van Wijk, David Skara (although that obviously backfired on Valpo), Hrvoje Vucic, Max Joseph, Tevonn Walker and many others that seemed to suddenly appear in a Valpo uniform.

Yep the Drews kept things quite, but just in the last 3-4 yrs the recruiting news has changed. The AAU coaches and high school coaches tweet out and tell everyone they can about which teams are scouting their players to attract more attention in hopes of drawing more interest.

Also, those "surprises" are either foreign or transfers. Recruiting a true freshman brings the social media presence. Sorrola was a surprise, as well as Burton and Bakari (the Bash bros? Is it too early to nickname them?).

wh

We only know what we know. There could be a major push going on behind the scenes to fill out next year's roster with JC players, transfers from other programs, and/or foreign players from anywhere and everywhere. 

As avid VU fans, we, of course, want to know as much as we can, as soon as we can. That said, there are probably a hundred reasons for keeping our recruiting strategy and efforts on a need to know basis.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on February 07, 2017, 11:39:13 AMWe only know what we know. There could be a major push going on behind the scenes to fill out next year's roster with JC players, transfers from other programs, and/or foreign players from anywhere and everywhere. 
Quite frankly, Matt probably feels a fair amount of pressure to keep the program at the same or higher level than it has been in recent years with Bryce. The last thing he needs is for the fan base (read semi-knowledgeable forum users) and alumni to add to that pressure on his first recruiting class.  Looking at players, potential visiting recruits and adding our own to cents worth concerning potential recruits that we know about is all good, but speculating why we haven't offered this or that player is not productive at this point. As wh said, "We only know what we know", I am sure that Matt and his staff of pro-experienced high major player/coaches are doing all they can to bring the best possible players to VU.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on February 07, 2017, 04:16:36 PM
Quote from: wh on February 07, 2017, 11:39:13 AMWe only know what we know. There could be a major push going on behind the scenes to fill out next year's roster with JC players, transfers from other programs, and/or foreign players from anywhere and everywhere. 
Quite frankly, Matt probably feels a fair amount of pressure to keep the program at the same or higher level than it has been in recent years with Bryce. The last thing he needs is for the fan base (read semi-knowledgeable forum users) and alumni to add to that pressure on his first recruiting class.  Looking at players, potential visiting recruits and adding our own to cents worth concerning potential recruits that we know about is all good, but speculating why we haven't offered this or that player is not productive at this point. As wh said, "We only know what we know", I am sure that Matt and his staff of pro-experienced high major player/coaches are doing all they can to bring the best possible players to VU.

I appreciate your steadfastness to "take it as it comes".  This is how I am in my professional life....let's speculate wildly and have done fun here.  I don't need my pastor on this forum!!!

All joking aside, I enjoy thoughtful speculation.  Keep it coming (my vote).

VU2014

QuoteQuite frankly, Matt probably feels a fair amount of pressure to keep the program at the same or higher level than it has been in recent years with Bryce. The last thing he needs is for the fan base (read semi-knowledgeable forum users) and alumni to add to that pressure on his first recruiting class.  Looking at players, potential visiting recruits and adding our own to cents worth concerning potential recruits that we know about is all good, but speculating why we haven't offered this or that player is not productive at this point. As wh said, "We only know what we know", I am sure that Matt and his staff of pro-experienced high major player/coaches are doing all they can to bring the best possible players to VU.

We got big problems if Coach is concerned what we think around here lol. As for the pressure part I think you just have to embrace it if your in that position. It's a good thing that fans and community expect a level success, imo. I don't think anyone is expecting us to become the next Gonzaga/Butler next year or anything, but to stay par with the success our program has seen the last 5-6yrs is a reasonable expectation and trying to enter the next tier of higher mid-major teams. From everything I've seen and heard from coach is that he's definitely up to the job. I really like the coaching staff he's put together too, a group of impressive men.

But agreed speculation probably isn't productive but its fun to take a look at the players that we're potentially interested in.

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 07, 2017, 04:34:52 PMI appreciate your steadfastness to "take it as it comes".  This is how I am in my professional life....let's speculate wildly and have done fun here.  I don't need my pastor on this forum!!!

Speculate all you want, I never said to not do that.  I have talked in the past about potential recruits from the Fort Wayne area, I just never tried to tell the coaches how to do their job or questioned why they did not offer a player.  Looking at High School players is the fun part.  Listening to all the bu!!(r@p their AAU coaches and parents say about their prospects and potential offers while maintaining a positive and encouraging attitude gives me a good laugh for the most part.  I have coached players that I thought would be lucky to get an NAIA scholarship that eventually played at a D1 school, I coached young men at an NAIA school that I couldn't believe were not picked up by a D1 School.  One of them played in the NBDL and the other was an MVP in a European league and has had a 9 year career playing in Germany and Italy. Speculate away because coaching and recruiting are about as exact of a science as climate change.  ;)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on February 07, 2017, 05:11:22 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 07, 2017, 04:34:52 PMI appreciate your steadfastness to "take it as it comes".  This is how I am in my professional life....let's speculate wildly and have done fun here.  I don't need my pastor on this forum!!!

Speculate all you want, I never said to not do that.  I have talked in the past about potential recruits from the Fort Wayne area, I just never tried to tell the coaches how to do their job or questioned why they did not offer a player.  Looking at High School players is the fun part.  Listening to all the bu!!(r@p their AAU coaches and parents say about their prospects and potential offers while maintaining a positive and encouraging attitude gives me a good laugh for the most part.  I have coached players that I thought would be lucky to get an NAIA scholarship that eventually played at a D1 school, I coached young men at an NAIA school that I couldn't believe were not picked up by a D1 School.  One of them played in the NBDL and the other was an MVP in a European league and has had a 9 year career playing in Germany and Italy. Speculate away because coaching and recruiting are about as exact of a science as climate change.  ;)

Well said! 

We have a group of (7) 2005 grads going to the YSU game on Saturday.  So my question is, do we expect to see Lubos Barton at the ARC for the induction/acknowledgement?

chef

VU2014

Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/830551394868400128

Michael Osipoff gets the sense we won't be offering Taylor Bruninga. There has been a lot of buzz around him.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 12, 2017, 01:21:30 PM
Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/830551394868400128

Michael Osipoff gets the sense we won't be offering Taylor Bruninga. There has been a lot of buzz around him.

A couple of us were at the VU vs UIC game where Alec broke the scoring record.  Taylor was in the chairbacks as our guest and came over post game to hangout and talk with Mr Peters Sr.

I'm thinking we are not in the business of inviting kids to games if we aren't interested.  If we don't officially offer, one might conclude that TAYLOR told coach he had other interests.  Maybe we don't offer to avoid getting shot down?

VU2014

Seems like we're not in on Taylor Bruninga's recruiting. We're not even mentioned. I'm wondering if he said he's not interested on our visit or if our coaches are not interested. Some very good schools are interested in him.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3748

2017 SF TAYLOR BRUNINGA FINALLY GETTING HIS JUST DUE
By: Evan Flood

Good things come to those who wait.  Nothing fits that description more right now than the late blooming emergence of a talented sharpshooter in Illinois.  Working his way onto the radar of Division 1 schools, Mapleton (Ill.) Illini Bluffs 2017 small forward Taylor Bruninga now holds three scholarship offers, with the opportunity to accomplish his dream of playing at the highest level.

"It's really awesome," Bruninga told NY2LASPORTS.COM. "Growing up, it was always my dream to play D1. Getting a few offers now has been big."

Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, and Northern Iowa have all offered during Bruninga's senior year.

Eastern Illinois: "They were the first to offer, so I really appreciate that. I really like the coaching staff. I was over there for a game and the players were really cool."

Illinois State: "They're having a really good season. I had an uncle play there. It's close to home, so my family and friends can come watch me. I like the coaching staff, players, the facilities."

Northern Iowa: "Big winning tradition. They've made the NCAA Tournament the past two years. I really like the coaches too."

Bruninga also holds a handful of Division 2 offers. He is still considering Wisconsin-Parkside among those offers.

Interest has been coming in from Vanderbilt, Creighton, Indiana State, Drake, Loyola (IL), and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.

Both Creighton and Loyola (IL) will watch Bruninga on Thursday. Blue Jays head coach Greg McDermott will be in attendance for Creighton.  "Both seem pretty interested, making the trip out here," Bruninga said. "I was actually on a visit to Loyola on Sunday and they seemed pretty interested too."

Bruninga has no future visits scheduled. The 6-foot-7, 190-pound small forward plans to wait until the spring before making a decision.  "I really like the schools I have right now, but I'll probably take my decision after the season, just so I can take my official visits and get to know them a lot better."

Bruninga played with the Illinois Irish during the travel season.

QuoteIllinois State: "They're having a really good season. I had an uncle play there. It's close to home, so my family and friends can come watch me. I like the coaching staff, players, the facilities."

Nobody ever say "facilities don't help land great recruits." Facilities matter.

https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status/831714681370836992
https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status/831714681370836992
https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status/831873226330488834

ValpoFan

Seeing how we graduate 3 guards next year (Tevonn, Max, and Lexus), and seeing how our incoming class already includes 2 big guys (Mileek and Hazen), I understand if our coaches feel that they need to focus on smaller, faster, ball handling guys with the remianing scholarships.

I do not have any information, just speculations.

VU2014

QuoteSeeing how we graduate 3 guards next year (Tevonn, Max, and Lexus), and seeing how our incoming class already includes 2 big guys (Mileek and Hazen), I understand if our coaches feel that they need to focus on smaller, faster, ball handling guys with the remianing scholarships.

I do not have any information, just speculations.

Could definitely be the case. I could definitely be that we have 2 big men signed already argument but Taylor is one those unique Power Forwards where has good handles because he was a guard his freshman year because he was much shorter, so he developed that skill at a younger age Hand he has a good jumpshot because when your a guard you typically develop that skill at a young age. Then he had big time growth spurt during high school and to 6'8"-6'9" and those skills transferred over.

I just think he seems to be so versatile that you can't just pigeon hole him as your standard "big guy". Just a very unique talent that I think would cause match up problems at the Mid-Major levels. He seems like a hybrid 4-3 or stretch 4.

Maybe Taylor Bruninga just didn't click with the coaching staff or maybe wasn't please with the facilities or maybe he looked at the roster and saw we have 2 other forwards coming in the next class.

I just find it interesting that its on the record we scouted him multiple times and he even took an unofficial visit and were not even mentioned in the recruiting process. Makes me think he may have ruled us out. Or maybe coaches were just doing scouting 'due-diligence' and Taylor came to the game because their family friends with Peters Family.

FWalum

Perfect example of why you should not believe everything you hear and read regarding recuiting.
[tweet]831714681370836992[/tweet]
[tweet]831873226330488834[/tweet]
:lol:
Nothing against Bruninga, but he has D2 offers to go along with some offers from really decent mid-majors. As ValpoFan said, I think our needs might require something different.

oklahomamick

Maybe the Peters family are unhappy this year and guided their family friend else where....

Not saying this happened only that its a possibility.  But again, I always look at things in the negative light. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

VU2014

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-john-kiser-st-0217-20170216-story.html

On a roll: Freshman walk-on John Kiser 'brings a lot of value' to Valparaiso

Kiser hopes to earn a scholarship for next season at Valparaiso, a possibility that has been discussed.

"They said I could work my way into a scholarship, there could be that opportunity," Kiser said. "But I'm just doing what I can right now. I'm not even worried about next year."

As a scholarship player or walk-on, Kiser has demonstrated he belongs.

"It's very much a privilege to be a basketball player at the collegiate level, and it's a big privilege to have a scholarship," Lottich said. "John's come in every single day, done everything we've asked, hasn't complained, worked as hard as anyone.

"He brings a lot of value to our team."

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2017, 07:00:18 PMMaybe the Peters family are unhappy this year and guided their family friend else where....
Quote from: a3uge on February 16, 2017, 07:19:58 PMCool, more conspiracies!
When given the choice between a simple answer and one that is convoluted, I always pick whichever is most entertaining.  ;D

oklahomamick

Yep another conspiracy.  Because that's all we have to go on.  Not very much to sit and wait on VU to say what's going on. 

When this matter is resolved we still won't know the details.  We will only know some of it 4 years from now after we heard it from jubril o an episode of union street hoops.
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Hard not to like that athleticism!

VU75

So he was a red shirt as a JC freshman which means should have three years eligibility.  Not that I'm looking for red flags but why a kid redshirt in Junior College?