• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - #21/#25 Rhode Island Tuesday Nov 29 7pm in the ARC

Started by talksalot, November 27, 2016, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanityLost17

Also,  I think Rhode Island fans forgot that this was a road game.  They have not had one all season.  Yes, we had a slightly favorable whistle at times, just like all home teams have.  When we go to MOState here in a few weeks, we are going to have to play really well to win because it is a road game.  That is the nature of college basketball. 

vu72

I was just thinking about how different Valpo's team is playing this year versus last.  With Vashil we had a defensive advantage but an offensive deficit.  His scoring range was a foot and a half so with him parked in the middle it made it hard to open driving lanes.  Last night with Jubril hitting an early 3 things definitely opened up for Tevonn, Alec and Shane driving into the paint.

Apparently there were NBA scouts at the game to see Alec and probably Matthews and Martin.  I wonder if they saw what they were hoping to see.  Alec showed a lot more than just a 3 point shooter last night.  The turn-a-round jumper, the driving and scoring ability as well as his rebounding were fantastic last night as was his defense.  I think they saw what they were looking for.   :thumbsup:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 30, 2016, 08:48:25 AM
So I was not the only one that enjoyed reading the Rhode Island message board? I agree that they just need to relax and recognize that they have a really good team that had a tough night playing their first road game in a challenging place to play. I would not be surprised to see Rhode Island string 10-12 wins in a row fairly soon. Lots of talent.

The one point that the Rhode Island posters made that does seem valid is that Rhode Island didn't adjust their defense to reduce Peters as an offensive threat. Alec has been quite effective this year against the double team, but there were too many possessions where one guy was struggling to defend Alec. Give Alec credit though...and that fadeaway 17 foot jumper for the last field goal was a big time shot.

Alec was on fire. I thought he could have scored even more at the line, but the refs felt he'd been to the line enough already. He should have had 3 free throws when he got Matthews to jump in the air, and could have had more at the end when Iverson was stuck on 4 fouls. It seemed like the refs were reluctant to give him his 5th. They had no answer for him; it was fun to watch.

I thought the reffing was bizarre. They seemed to be trying to even out calls all game. The phantom Jubril travel after the Hurley technical - lol.

FWalum

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 30, 2016, 08:48:25 AM
So I was not the only one that enjoyed reading the Rhode Island message board? I agree that they just need to relax and recognize that they have a really good team that had a tough night playing their first road game in a challenging place to play. I would not be surprised to see Rhode Island string 10-12 wins in a row fairly soon. Lots of talent.

The one point that the Rhode Island posters made that does seem valid is that Rhode Island didn't adjust their defense to reduce Peters as an offensive threat. Alec has been quite effective this year against the double team, but there were too many possessions where one guy was struggling to defend Alec. Give Alec credit though...and that fadeaway 17 foot jumper for the last field goal was a big time shot.

Their forum is really a mess over this game like everyone has said.  It seemed like the whole board picked up on the one poster that talked about our sub par Ball State game and must have completely forgotten that we beat Alabama by 8 and also won against BYU.  They made it sound as if we were a forgettable team on their way to the A10 crown and not one of the top mid majors in the country.  In their whining after the game they said such ignorant things as "The Valpo announcers said this is their school's first win ever against a top 25 team. Please put an asterisk next to that one" and berated Dan Hurley in post after post.  At least one poster thought we were more than a one man show when he said "Tavon Walker and Alec Peters are better than any URI player".

I guess I shouldn't be to hard on them remembering the angst on here last year when Ball State beat us on their home floor, but it really is surprising to me how hard they are going after Hurley and the constant use of the F word (maybe I am just showing my age).
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

M

I imagine their board looked a lot like ours after we lose a game at Ball State or Belmont  :-X :-X

oklahomamick

I think jubril deserves a lot of credit.  He can bring the ball up the court, finish fast breaks, post up defensively and offensively (against bigger dudes).  He's really a 4 playing a 5.  He scored 7 out of our fist 14 points.  Stayed out of Foul trouble. 

Obviously haven't seen other HL teams play yet and it's only based on conference play but if jubril doesn't pick up 1st or 2nd team, it's rigged. 

Wait it's already rigged towards Detroit....
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

My experience is that Yankees use that F word a little more than others
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 30, 2016, 10:39:37 AM

No effin way.   :-X  I think its a generational thing exacerbated by the fact it is a public university. ::)  It's also a tone set by the posters themselves and their admin.  If it is allowed then the precedent is there and hard to roll back.  I've been on a lot of other boards and most are civil in their language.  I think ours is pretty good that way  -- at least we use **** or ____ instead of the word we really want to use.  ;)

walldozer

Quote from: agibson on November 29, 2016, 09:48:18 PM
Quote from: walldozer on November 28, 2016, 12:10:18 PMOK, with a a combination of reading this thread, my kids being the right age, and the opportunity to take time off to get there, I am going to take my family to the game tomorrow.

Any chance that was you guys ringing the Victory Bell fifteen minutes, rather late, after the final whistle? Maybe your dad at some distance. Son in a vintage Vilcinskas jersey that looked almost Vlicinskas-sized on him?

In any case, I hope the kids had a good time!

YES!  That was us!  Small world...  small school  ;-)  We all had a fantastic time taking the advice given on this board...  Buying tickets in section CC in advance, check!  Dinner before the game (Kelsey's-I love Kelseys), check!  Tour of the campus (basketball office, chapel, student union, WVUR, the football stadium, and the law school prior to the game) and then parking by the softball field, check!  Getting to the game early to get a free t-shirt and enjoy the atmosphere (my daughter got to meet and have her picture taken with all of the Crusaderettes), check!  Contact with the athletic office to arrange something special during the game (The Crusader came up to our section to visit), check!  3 scoop Culver's custard as a treat during the game, check!  A fantastic victory, check!  Ringing the victory bell after the game (I told the kids about it before the game and I forgot about it after the game, my daughter remembered and insisted that we must go back to do it before we left), check!  Getting recognized doing all of this stuff by famed Valpo messageboard poster agibson ;-), check!

In all seriousness, thank you all so much for your advice for the game and passion as fans.  My kids had an awesome experience and, if I had to guess, they will be cemented as Valparaiso University fans for the rest of their lives.  You all truly are the best!

On the way home, my dad said to me in jest as the kids were falling asleep talking about the game, "You better be careful, do you know how much that place costs?"...  Ha!  Yes Dad, I sure do.  ;-)

GO VALPO!  Thanks again friends...

Edit, I guess I do not know how to post a picture.  Here is a link to the picture:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/efxd35dxjrqdc81/Photo%20Nov%2029%2C%209%2012%2053%20PM.jpg?dl=0

agibson

Photographer's credit to my wife on that one.

Fantastic story!

Glad you made the trip. You really checked all of the boxes!

FWalum

Quote from: walldozer on November 30, 2016, 11:06:44 AMYES!  That was us!  Small world...  small school  ;-)  We all had a fantastic time taking the advice given on this board...  Buying tickets in section CC in advance, check!  Dinner before the game (Kelsey's-I love Kelseys), check!  Tour of the campus (basketball office, chapel, student union, WVUR, the football stadium, and the law school prior to the game) and then parking by the softball field, check!  Getting to the game early to get a free t-shirt and enjoy the atmosphere (my daughter got to meet and have her picture taken with all of the Crusaderettes), check!  Contact with the athletic office to arrange something special during the game (The Crusader came up to our section to visit), check!  3 scoop Culver's custard as a treat during the game, check!  A fantastic victory, check!  Ringing the victory bell after the game (I told the kids about it before the game and I forgot about it after the game, my daughter remembered and insisted that we must go back to do it before we left), check!  Getting recognized doing all of this stuff by famed Valpo messageboard poster agibson ;-), check!
WOW!! Maybe if I had done all of that stuff one of my kids would have gone to VU!  Good job Dad!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

Quote from: walldozer on November 30, 2016, 11:06:44 AM
Quote from: agibson on November 29, 2016, 09:48:18 PM
Quote from: walldozer on November 28, 2016, 12:10:18 PMOK, with a a combination of reading this thread, my kids being the right age, and the opportunity to take time off to get there, I am going to take my family to the game tomorrow.

Any chance that was you guys ringing the Victory Bell fifteen minutes, rather late, after the final whistle? Maybe your dad at some distance. Son in a vintage Vilcinskas jersey that looked almost Vlicinskas-sized on him?

In any case, I hope the kids had a good time!

YES!  That was us!  Small world...  small school  ;-)  We all had a fantastic time taking the advice given on this board...  Buying tickets in section CC in advance, check!  Dinner before the game (Kelsey's-I love Kelseys), check!  Tour of the campus (basketball office, chapel, student union, WVUR, the football stadium, and the law school prior to the game) and then parking by the softball field, check!  Getting to the game early to get a free t-shirt and enjoy the atmosphere (my daughter got to meet and have her picture taken with all of the Crusaderettes), check!  Contact with the athletic office to arrange something special during the game (The Crusader came up to our section to visit), check!  3 scoop Culver's custard as a treat during the game, check!  A fantastic victory, check!  Ringing the victory bell after the game (I told the kids about it before the game and I forgot about it after the game, my daughter remembered and insisted that we must go back to do it before we left), check!  Getting recognized doing all of this stuff by famed Valpo messageboard poster agibson ;-), check!

In all seriousness, thank you all so much for your advice for the game and passion as fans.  My kids had an awesome experience and, if I had to guess, they will be cemented as Valparaiso University fans for the rest of their lives.  You all truly are the best!

On the way home, my dad said to me in jest as the kids were falling asleep talking about the game, "You better be careful, do you know how much that place costs?"...  Ha!  Yes Dad, I sure do.  ;-)

GO VALPO!  Thanks again friends...

Edit, I guess I do not know how to post a picture.  Here is a link to the picture:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/efxd35dxjrqdc81/Photo%20Nov%2029%2C%209%2012%2053%20PM.jpg?dl=0

If someone is ever looking for part of an improved (and not highly costly) model for how to market and increase interest in Valpo basketball, this story would be a really good foundation. Caring people wanting to have a good time with their family, supported by current fans who welcome and provide ideas and support, resulting in a great overall event for the family (sure, the big win helps).

Glad that you had a great time at the game and enjoying the Valpo environment.

FWalum

Still waiting for RoadyJay to make a comment after last night on the Rhode Island forum after he seemed to get such a kick out of our response to his original post.  Somehow I don't think he will be using the lol emoji in his next post on that thread.

Re: Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3
Their forum is imploding based on my posts here... :lol: :lol:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index ... pic=2695.0

valpo84

Quote from: FWalum on November 30, 2016, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: walldozer on November 30, 2016, 11:06:44 AMYES!  That was us!  Small world...  small school  ;-)  We all had a fantastic time taking the advice given on this board...  Buying tickets in section CC in advance, check!  Dinner before the game (Kelsey's-I love Kelseys), check!  Tour of the campus (basketball office, chapel, student union, WVUR, the football stadium, and the law school prior to the game) and then parking by the softball field, check!  Getting to the game early to get a free t-shirt and enjoy the atmosphere (my daughter got to meet and have her picture taken with all of the Crusaderettes), check!  Contact with the athletic office to arrange something special during the game (The Crusader came up to our section to visit), check!  3 scoop Culver's custard as a treat during the game, check!  A fantastic victory, check!  Ringing the victory bell after the game (I told the kids about it before the game and I forgot about it after the game, my daughter remembered and insisted that we must go back to do it before we left), check!  Getting recognized doing all of this stuff by famed Valpo messageboard poster agibson ;-), check!
WOW!! Maybe if I had done all of that stuff one of my kids would have gone to VU!  Good job Dad!

FWAlum--we did a lot more than that and it didn't help get him to Valpo.  But he definitely ended up with a love of sports, college hoops and football!!    8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 30, 2016, 11:06:10 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on November 30, 2016, 10:39:37 AM

No effin way.   :-X  I think its a generational thing exacerbated by the fact it is a public university. ::)  It's also a tone set by the posters themselves and their admin.  If it is allowed then the precedent is there and hard to roll back.  I've been on a lot of other boards and most are civil in their language.  I think ours is pretty good that way  -- at least we use **** or ____ instead of the word we really want to use.  ;)

F......in' right!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo84

By the way going back to an earlier post:

valpo64, you may be thinking of a tourney with Army, Colgate, IU and Valpo at the Market Square Arena in December 1996.  We got beat pretty good 72-51.  We beat Army in the first game against I think a Dino Gaudio coached team. Colgate had Adonal Foyle, as my son got his autograph at the game.

The really close Indiana game was 2000-01 season in the Hoosier Classic 63-60 at Conseco.  That was a very good team that started in the Alaska Tourney by beating Ohio State.  But, lost in the MidCon Finals to SoUtah (was that the infamous mono game?)  Dane Fife or Tom Coverdale (likely Coverdale) shot lights out.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on November 30, 2016, 12:14:55 PM
Still waiting for RoadyJay to make a comment after last night on the Rhode Island forum after he seemed to get such a kick out of our response to his original post.  Somehow I don't think he will be using the lol emoji in his next post on that thread.

Re: Game 7: @ Valparaiso - Tues 8pm ESPN3
Their forum is imploding based on my posts here... :lol: :lol:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index ... pic=2695.0

He finally replied (pg. 10) by backhandedly crediting Valpo (apparently we had the game of our life while URI had their worse...game...ever).  Personally, I think we all could see there was plenty of room for improvement and this was certainly not a game where everything was clicking.  The mental lapses in the last few minutes alone were horrific and the inability to keep the momentum after a slight lead still persists.  Maybe we can go beat Kentucky just to comfort them?

valpo64

Thanks for the "refresher" Valpo84.  As you know, you are alot younger so your memory is also alot better.  Oh for the good ol' days when we all were  wearing  our white converse all-star gym shoes.   LOL

talksalot

Quote from: bbtds on November 29, 2016, 11:14:30 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 29, 2016, 09:05:08 PM
Notre Dame 1988 can now officially fade into history.

Except that it is part of the intro video before the Valpo players are announced.

ESPECIALLY since I'm in the background!

M

If Shane would've had even an average game by his standards it's a double digit Valpo win. 

valporun

Quote from: valpo84 on November 30, 2016, 01:20:28 PMThe really close Indiana game was 2000-01 season in the Hoosier Classic 63-60 at Conseco.  That was a very good team that started in the Alaska Tourney by beating Ohio State.  But, lost in the MidCon Finals to SoUtah (was that the infamous mono game?)  Dane Fife or Tom Coverdale (likely Coverdale) shot lights out.

I thought the Hoosier Classic game at Conseco in 2000-01 was against Purdue? I know I was at this game, as I had to change the time for my music jury to accommodate going to this game with the pep band. It was a fun trip on Fall semester Reading Day, that's for sure.

FieldGoodie05

What is this, 1865 Mickey?  You called us Yankees 15 years ago and still with that junk!?!?😉

Yankees is a baseball team, not a geographic sub section of ppl.  It's time to take down the confederate flag alongside SC!!!! 

Heck of a game VU, awesome to watch!  Has us all in good moods 🎉🎉🎉

rhodyfan1

Quote from: vufan75 on November 30, 2016, 12:02:50 AMRhody Nation message board in disbelief it seems. Few props for Valpo and "the sky is falling" mentality for the beloved Rams. Only player we have is AP. They are so much better everywhere else. Last year losing Matthew's was the excuse for the loss to Valpo. This year it is their Coach Hurley's fault and only 3 guys came ready to play. After back to back losses to Valpo in last 2 seasons, one would think we might have earned a little respect from their fans. Guess not. Have a drink and calm down Rhody fans. You will win a lot of games this season. It is early and this WAS your teams first real road game. Hope the series continues. Great for both schools.

Just wanted to chime in and give maybe some of you a better idea of why our fans are so upset.

It's not because we don't think Valpo is a quality team, although I know there were a few people who were overly confident going into the game. The reason people are upset is because it's the same issues we've seen in the past even though we have the best team on paper in arguably two decades. No flow to our offense, bench not contributing, Hurley only playing Stan Robinson 6 minutes even though he deserves way more, down by 3 with the ball and we can't even get off a shot. On top of that, EC had his third game in a row not reaching double figures.

Those who say we still have great team and there's nothing to worry about are the ones who are only looking at this team on paper. They aren't the ones who have watched every game Hurley has coached at URI.

Pgmado

Quote from: valporun on November 30, 2016, 04:12:25 PMQuote from: valpo84 on November 30, 2016, 01:20:28 PM
The really close Indiana game was 2000-01 season in the Hoosier Classic 63-60 at Conseco.  That was a very good team that started in the Alaska Tourney by beating Ohio State.  But, lost in the MidCon Finals to SoUtah (was that the infamous mono game?)  Dane Fife or Tom Coverdale (likely Coverdale) shot lights out.

I thought the Hoosier Classic game at Conseco in 2000-01 was against Purdue? I know I was at this game, as I had to change the time for my music jury to accommodate going to this game with the pep band. It was a fun trip on Fall semester Reading Day, that's for sure.

Valpo played at Conseco twice that season. Great story about the game against Indiana. It was during Christmas break and the morning of the game Karl Berner calls me and tells me he has an extra media pass for WVUR and that he can get me in. I drive the 280 miles from Milwaukee to Indianapolis and witness an amazing game. Coverdale knocked down a halfcourt buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the first half which ultimately proved to be the difference in the game. I interviewed Mike Davis after the game and I remember he had the longest finger nails of any male I'd ever seen until that point in my life.

I was hoping to get back in my dorm room for the night back in Valpo, but they had changed the locks on Alumni Hall, so I ended up driving all the way back to Milwaukee. Around 3:30 in the morning, and 553 miles into my 560 mile trip, I hit a patch of black ice on the road during a blizzard and I spun into a ditch. The snow was fresh and loose so when I hit the ditch it lifted a bunch of snow in the air that cascaded onto my car almost like a waterfall. My car was immediately buried in snow and I had to climb out of the back to get out of the car. A tow truck came, pulled the car out and there was zero damage to my car. I drove the final seven miles gripping my steering wheel like crazy.