• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo is playing DePaul tomorrow on FS1

Started by vu84v2, January 15, 2021, 07:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

may know

I'll just wash this game from memory and remember today for President Padilla. Perfect choice!

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

truth219

This team is garbage so is the coaching staff.

mj

Someone needs to sit down with Lottich and explain the best thing for his career long term is to ask for a reasonable buyout. Or maybe he just resigns. If he leaves now, maybe he can join a high to mid major program as a bench coach. Sure his record at Valpo looks bad, but he can point to his 2020 run at Arch Madness as a success.

His other option is to keep the guaranteed paycheck for the next few years and then be shown the door. Assuming the program remains a dumpster fire, 2020 will be a distant memory and he'll be looking at coaching a HS team somewhere.

Everyone needs a fresh start at this point. 
I believe that we will win.

valpotx

19 for 23 from the FT line, which is another positive.  On the negative side, Mileek took a step back, committing 5 turnovers in just 12 minutes.  Was he a COVID case?  Lottich mentioned that he was down 25 pounds on his last update.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

This team just needs a complete overhaul roster wise. Unfortunately, for now, we have to play with what we have. So let's take a look at what we have and need.

Sackey: it's not about what he can do for me as much as what he can't do. And what he can't do is score. Our starting point guard is shooting *SIX PERCENT* from behind the arc. Oh okay, so he must be able to drive, right? Wrong. He can drive, but that doesn't mean he's very good at it. He's out of control and, besides the occasional finish, can't finish. Maybe some of it has to do with his height, idk. No mid range either. Plays too fast, out of control, can't run an offense, and can't score. His assist to turnover ratio is fine, but not nearly enough to outweigh the drawbacks. And besides, him shooting should statistically count as a turnover. Not what you are looking for from an upperclassmen point guard.

Clay: I'm not really sure what to think about Clay right now. He showed so much promise last year but just hasn't improved  on court like I hoped so far. I see him shooting a lot more jump shots than I remember last year. 28 percent from three, exactly the same as last year. That's not good enough for a guard these days. He just hasn't impressed me so far this year, but as a sophomore and seeing him play well last year, still a lot of time for that to change. When he drives a lot, I really like what I see. The problem is that there is no space for him to drive with how clustered and dysfunctional this offense is. We'll see how he develops the rest of the year, and more importantly next year.

Krikke: I really like krikke in the post and that deadly mid range game he has. Today he was not able to finish, but not a recurring problem enough for me to complain. I can't wait to see him next year without all the quarantines and an extra year under his belt. My complaint here is that I really wish he wasn't our center. I know people want to play fast pace centerless basketball. That's fine and all but most teams at least have a strong athletic physical player to be the de facto center. Krikke is not that and we can't pretend he is. With his footwork and midrange game ( and even three point shooting if he reverts to last year), I really like his upside. I just think he's playing a little out of position. The problem is we don't have another option. We shouldn't have to rely on him to hold down the fort defensively in the middle and rebound. Not his game.

Nick Robinson: Hes a solid player, I can't argue with his statistics. Not a bad shooter, doesn't turn it over a lot. I feel like he would thrive coming off the bench on a good team. Unfortunately for him, he's not on a good team.

Eron Gordon: I am just not high on Gordon at all. He doesn't do anything well enough to earn playing time in my mind. I see him make soooooo many blunders. Unforced turnovers, tries to push the ball when it shouldn't be pushed. Hes a junior. His calling card is supposed to be shooting, and he can't even do that. 32% form three is not good enough for somebody that is supposed to hang their hat on shooting. I'd much rather see his minutes going to Connor Barrett.

Connor Barrett: Coming into the season, this is the newcomer I was least excited about. Now, the opposite is true. I really have lived what I am seeing from him. He is shooting 40% from three, and I have seen him get quite a few offensive rebounds for put-backs. Despite being thrown into a starting role as a freshman, he hasn't looked too scared. I have no doubt in my mind that, over the next few years, we see him have some big games where he just heats up from three and buries the other team. I cannot wait for those days. He needs to be playing more minutes than Eron Gordon.

Sheldon Edwards: On the flip side, I was most excited to see Sheldon play this year out of the newcomers. So far, he hasn't done much for me. He has been shooting a lot of bad shots in my opinion. He hasn't found his shot yet, but has had some flashes showcasing his driving ability. If he is able to work on that jump shot and be more aggressive driving, I could see him doing well. As of now, I hardly even notice when he is on the court.

JO: I'm not really sure about Jacob. He has proven that he can shoot the ball, shooting over 50% from three. But where does he fit in on a roster? Hes not the most mobile, not very strong yet, and doesn't have the footwork of krikke. As a freshmen, I think it's safe to say he will improve on all three of those. Will reevaluate later. As of now, Id like to see him on the floor a little more. What is there to lose?

Mileek: Correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't much Mileek has done right on the court this year. Last year, I thought he proved everyone wrong with his play and three point shooting. This year he retracted back to freshmen form. He looks awful. He had 5 turnovers in 12 minutes today. I am sure he is a great kid, but all of his minutes should be going to freshmen or sophomores that might impact this program later on.

Goodnews: This is the last guy I'll do because the rest of the team doesn't play regularly. There was a game or two that I thought he looked like a good glue guy, but overall just meh. Whatever, he's on the team and he doesn't usually do too much to hurt the team, which is a lot better than some other people.

Overall, I think this team is so poor because of
   1. the lack of veteran plays and leadership. Mileek, Robinson, Sackey, and Gordon simply are not leading on or off the court from what I can tell. They just aren't good enough to lead on the court. Still seeing freshmen mistakes form Sackey, Gordon, and Mileek. As for leadership, this team doesn't seem to have any camaraderie or any fun on the court.
   2. Our coaches aren't putting the players in a position to win. They need more set plays. They simply aren't getting the right people the right shots right now. JO is our best three point shooter statistically and is 5th in three point shots per minute. Mileek and Sheldon are both ahead of him, both shooting 30% or worse.  He is ninth when not adjusted for minutes. We need three point shooting, and it is hard to come by on this team, so I think we need to see more JO out there. Besides that very specific nag, the offense looks like a jumbled mess that doesn't play to any of our players strengths and its looked like that for years without adjustment.

The stat I really like is that our Frehsmen and Sophomores account for 67% of our points and only 55% of our minutes. What I want to see us add next year is point guards and guards that can shoot. We are bringing in two point guards next year and that 6-8 guard that looks like he can shoot the three. Deaverio or whatever his name is looks like a pass first point guard, so hopefully he can run an offense. Cameron Palesse looks like he can score the ball left and right. I am exited to see that and maybe well actually have more than one or two people that can shoot a three without it being a turnover. I think well be stuck with Lottich for the remaining four years so I guess all we can all just hope for the best with regards to our freshmen, sophomores, and freshmen coming in next year.

usc4valpo

Really good analysis - and this is one long season. We need more talent and better synchronization. What an embarrassment - and now the big topic is changing the nickname.

valpo64

It is quite obvious that Mileek is not himself because of health problems and injuries as evidenced by his  lack of playing time and poor performance when he does play.  From strength to shooting he isn't getting the job done.  The lack of practice time with a healthy and complete team, along with quality  game times is also quite apparent.  Agree that the season is a mess because of the virus and screwed up class times, etc.  How many weeks has Krikke been out because of quarantine time?  Wow!  Just think of how much practice time and conditioning drills he alone has missed, along with continuity of playing with teammates.  And he is one of our top, key players.  As I have said for a long time,  we have no decent point guard.  Sackey cannot get the job done...can't finish at the bucket, shoot 3's or 2's for that matter, plays small like his height and is very, very inconsistent.  For whatever reason the veteran players are not providing leadership as previously stated.  I can't blame it all on Coach because he is working with a broken down team for various reason that are not his fault.  Let's face it, no one even knows who has been out with the virus, still has it, who is still suffering and playing in a weakened state, or how many practices the team has missed, etc.  We do know that the schedule is sure a mess through no fault of our own.  I guess we just have to wait until next year, get the young guys some playing experience and hope we can find or develop a good point guard.  Let's keep the faith!

justducky

Quote from: may know on January 16, 2021, 06:53:15 PMI'll just wash this game from memory
What game?

Basketball is more addictive than heroin and as such I've spent a lifetime of irrational servitude. I've just concluded it is high time for me to go cold turkey on the guys and focus instead on a higher quality, more reliable source for my unshakable needs. Fortunately Lottich is not the only dealer in town and I can get my next fix Tuesday night at 6:00 when Loyola comes to town to face coach Evans and our girls team. If I stray back over here with comments on the men then one of you should slap me and force me back to rehab at gun point if necessary.  :o

VALPO LI

Stepping aside for a moment from all this negativity, on a positive note I was thrilled this game happened despite a frustrating 19 point loss.  Not sure who set this game up but Valpo could have taken the easy way out and just played a non D1 at home.  The competition was needed and I'm glad they got to play DePaul.
Up next Loyola Wednesday night January 20th at the ARC.
Shine on Vu

valpolaw

What happened to Zion Morgan? Is he injured? He has to be a better alternative than Sackey. I always thought Zion should've gotten more playing time last year.

vuny98

We have a lot of 6th men on our team. Guys that show flashes of great play, but should not be starters (Particularly the upper classmen).

vu72

If you think DePaul made us look bad, wait till Wednesday.  Loyola beat UNI by 42! Yes, AJ Green didn't play.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

If some think it is bad being a Valpo fan, how about the folks at Northern Iowa?  Getting beat a second time/day at Loyola , and then by 40?  I watched some of the game on TV and couldn't take it...UNI was terrible!

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on January 17, 2021, 12:07:22 PM
It is quite obvious that Mileek is not himself because of health problems and injuries as evidenced by his  lack of playing time and poor performance when he does play.  From strength to shooting he isn't getting the job done.  The lack of practice time with a healthy and complete team, along with quality  game times is also quite apparent.  Agree that the season is a mess because of the virus and screwed up class times, etc.  How many weeks has Krikke been out because of quarantine time?  Wow!  Just think of how much practice time and conditioning drills he alone has missed, along with continuity of playing with teammates.  And he is one of our top, key players.  As I have said for a long time,  we have no decent point guard.  Sackey cannot get the job done...can't finish at the bucket, shoot 3's or 2's for that matter, plays small like his height and is very, very inconsistent.  For whatever reason the veteran players are not providing leadership as previously stated.  I can't blame it all on Coach because he is working with a broken down team for various reason that are not his fault.  Let's face it, no one even knows who has been out with the virus, still has it, who is still suffering and playing in a weakened state, or how many practices the team has missed, etc.  We do know that the schedule is sure a mess through no fault of our own.  I guess we just have to wait until next year, get the young guys some playing experience and hope we can find or develop a good point guard.  Let's keep the faith!

I read this and think yes, all that is true. But then I think aren't the other teams like Missouri State, DePaul and Southern Illinois going through the same thing with Covid issues? Why has it effected Valpo more than the Crusaders' opponents?

crusadermoe

How can you guys throw Lottich under the bus every few games?   He won three in a row including Loyola at the MVC in St. Louis.  That's crunch time and the kids played very hard for him in the title game too.  In fact they stormed back from huge deficits many times.  I'm not an X and Os guy but I know an awful lot of you wanted to elect Lottich as Governor of Indiana in late March last year.

SanityLost17

Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina area all unranked for the 1st time since 1961.   

No research here, but I know at least 2 of the 3 have bought fully in to the 1 and done era and usually lean heavily on Freshman/Sophomores.     Could it be that young teams just don't stand a chance this season due to all the interruptions in practice time?     Because you KNOW all 3 of those teams have top 10 talent.   

I dunno.   It is all very sad and very disappointing but I am not sure it is fixable this year.   It sounds like Valpo has missed more practice time than most and with Robinson not playing lately our minutes are largely filled up with really young players or older players who should be role players and not "go to" guys.     So it might just be a struggle the rest of the way and we are all gonna have to find a way to deal with it and look for baby step improvements that give us hope for next year.   

wh

I think you make some good points. It hasn't been mentioned much, but the lack of full practices has probably affected where we should be defensively, as well as offensively. I was watching the Butler Creighton game on Saturday and noticed that every Butler player was on his man like glue (think JFL and Kiser). Our freshmen don't play defense with anywhere near that level of physicality - yet. Making matters worse, Ben, Donovan, and Nick have never been particularly aggressive defenders, and Mileek can't defend without fouling. So we're left with a group of inexperienced players that have yet to make the transition to the college game at either end and minimal positive role modeling from veteran players. Until we learn to make it harder for our opponents to score/ wear them down, we're going to continue to struggle.

sliman

I agree with WH.  I also watched the Butler-Creighton game and Butler's defensive intensity made them the dominant team the first half, a letdown early in the second half coupled with better defense by Creighton let Creighton back in the game before Butler regained some of its defensive mindset.  Good defense set up the offense, something we were doing by tournament time last year, aided by the seniors who provided the leadership if not the steals (of JFL).  Until we have the continuity of practices to improve our defense, we will struggle against good teams.