• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: valpopal on June 13, 2021, 06:04:54 PMI enjoyed listening to Paul's discussion of the proposed finalists list on Union Street Hoops, but the most obvious and most revealing point seemed to be that during an hour of conversation three avid followers of Valpo sports could not muster much enthusiasm at all for the suggestions. There should have been a ninth option on the list: None of the Above, Go Back to the Drawing Board! It just seems again that by presenting such a lackluster list the university is squandering another opportunity to engender energy and excitement for the athletics program, just as they did in the years following the Sweet Sixteen run and more recently when they joined the MVC.

I just got done listening to the episode. There was no enthusiasm whatsoever, which is understandable giving the underwhelming choices presented by the committee. I would prefer something like the Golden Knights so that VU doesn't have to get rid of the current logo. All I ever hear is that there isn't enough money to modernize facilities, so I'd like to see them save some money here and go with a safe, simple choice.

crusadermoe

I like LaBarbera.  He is very polite and wise, but I really hope he is seething under the surface at these names.

If we're hellbent to go with a weather name and the committee fears that "Snowflakes" would offend someone,.....how about the Valpo Blizzard?  But it kind of makes me hungry and maybe Culvers could balk at it.

jackvitashow

Thanks to all who listened to my podcast (Jack Vita Show) episode on Valpo team names and mascots. It's a bummer none of the names on our list are being considered, but I wasn't really expecting anything different. I won't be covering the Valpo mascot search on my show. I have instead been focusing on covering baseball, and actually just had former Marlin and ESPN's Baseball Tonight analyst Orestes Destrade on last week.

However, Paul Oren is doing a great job with his show, "Union Street Hoops" and he's been all over it. In the latest episode, I joined him, along with former Valparaiso communication professor and VU grad Andrew Stem, to discuss all of the names that are currently in the running. We'll also be recording an episode of Union Street Hoops whenever a new name and mascot is selected. I hope you will join us to continue the conversation!

Thanks again to all who tuned in, and have since weighed in on the conversation. Even to those that disagree with my vision for the university and perhaps didn't enjoy my podcast episode - I greatly appreciate your unique perspective and feedback and am thankful that you would take time out of your day to view or listen to my show. I have enjoyed reading some of the disagreements people have with me in this thread, and always welcome and enjoy a friendly and healthy exchanging of ideas!

valpotx

Quote from: VUSERF on June 14, 2021, 10:15:20 AM
I actually quite like the beacons as a name with an image of the dunehawk carrying the shield (see one of Paul Oren's retweets for a great design mock up). The only thing I would add to that mockup would be rays of light streaming from behind the hawk and shield, hence tying it to a beacon.

The mascot name could be Beaky the Beacon.

I forget, are you the poster who wanted Captain Kernel or something like that?  You sure do like your mascots... ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

JBC1824

Quote from: VUSERF on June 14, 2021, 10:15:20 AM
I actually quite like the beacons as a name with an image of the dunehawk carrying the shield (see one of Paul Oren's retweets for a great design mock up). The only thing I would add to that mockup would be rays of light streaming from behind the hawk and shield, hence tying it to a beacon.

The mascot name could be Beaky the Beacon.

Too bad for everyone involved the picture you're referring to is of an eagle, and not a hawk. SMH.

Will be embarrassing if we call ourselves some kind of hawk and then use imagery featuring an eagle.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

Just Sayin

The PC Poltroons

Swaying to and fro to every wind of woke doctrine.

valpo64

You could even incorporate the name "Sparks" into the mascot  and show sparks coming out of his a...i mean tail.  The look would be very fitting for this whole process.

IndyValpo

Can you guys move this pissing contest to the off topic section so I don't miss poor 64's rant on the actual topic.

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpo64 on June 15, 2021, 11:14:11 AM
You could even incorporate the name "Sparks" into the mascot  and show sparks coming out of his a...i mean tail.  The look would be very fitting for this whole process.
Introducing Sparky!!!
The Golden Dunehawk that perches on a Beacon.  Protector of the Tempest Dunelands.  No thunder too loud, lighting too bright, storm too rough can intimidate Sparky :thumbsup:
We got this covered Valpo!
That's our new logo. A Dunehawk perched on a beacon that shines a light of guidance through a stormy tempest lightning storm with sparks in the background.
Brown Bird.
Gold Light.
Gray Sky.
Gold lighting.
Done!!!
This conversation is over! Now we can focus on our next task and that is to get alcohol sold at the ARC. :cheers:
Shine on Vu

valpo04

Quote from: IndyValpo on June 15, 2021, 01:21:54 PM
Can you guys move this pissing contest to the off topic section so I don't miss poor 64's rant on the actual topic.

I have cleaned up this thread and moved that discussion here: https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3963.0

VUSERF

I did not really like the popcorn themed mascots. I felt they were ...wait for it ... too corny.

My preferences were the Valpo Shield, the Vanguard, or the Dunehawks. Dunehawks being my least favorite of the three.

Beacons can work, maybe, but I am having some issues with the imagery. I love the name and what it represents to the university, but I can't picture it. All I visualize is a lighthouse?

As for the eagle / hawk mixup I agree. Definitely need to be a head imagery over an eagle. I just really thought the general image looked striking and marketable.

If they selected beacon what so you all think it would look like? Just a flame?

humbleopinion

Quote from: VUSERF on June 16, 2021, 09:08:39 AM
If they selected beacon what so you all think it would look like? Just a flame?

Perhaps something line the Bat-Signal projecting the shield logo instead of the bat.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on June 16, 2021, 09:53:06 AM
Quote from: humbleopinion on June 16, 2021, 09:15:46 AMIf they selected beacon what so you all think it would look like? Just a flame?
https://www.umb.edu/news/detail/bobby_the_beacon_to_graduate_friday
A lighthouse makes the most sense for the Beacon... but while that makes sense for Boston, not so much for landlocked Valpo. I guess you can make the case for our proximity to Lake Michigan, but I find that a stretch, along with why I'm not a huge fan of Dune Hawks (apart from the fact that its just a made up bird)

A Flame logo would probably be the choice if Valpo went with Beacon...

usc4valpo

I was thinking about my Strato-o-matic baseball league, and my team was the Vomit Pigs. Seriously, it's better than the Beacon.
honestly, I cannot believe we are having this conversation.

Pgmado

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 16, 2021, 06:35:42 PM
I was thinking about my Strato-o-matic baseball league, and my team was the Vomit Pigs. Seriously, it's better than the Beacon.

Ever play Statis Pro Baseball? I grew up on that game.

vuny98

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 16, 2021, 06:35:42 PMI was thinking about my Strato-o-matic baseball league, and my team was the Vomit Pigs. Seriously, it's better than the Beacon. honestly, I cannot believe we are having this conversation.
I can say, I too would rather be the Vomit Pigs than I would the Beacon(s)

rogerwilco

Instead of Beacon, why not the Valparaiso Guiding Light?
We can be the official team the soap opera (and off-season transfer soap operas too.)

rogerwilco

Quote from: vuny98 on June 16, 2021, 07:08:24 PMQuote from: usc4valpo on Today at 06:35:42 PM I was thinking about my Strato-o-matic baseball league, and my team was the Vomit Pigs. Seriously, it's better than the Beacon. honestly, I cannot believe we are having this conversation. I can say, I too would rather be the Vomit Pigs than I would the Beacon(s)
Fart Buffaloes > Vomit Pigs

IndyValpo

Quote from: Pgmado on June 16, 2021, 06:44:10 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on June 16, 2021, 06:35:42 PM

Ever play Statis Pro Baseball? I grew up on that game.
Loved Statis Pro Baseball. I also had their USAC/Indy Car game.

IndyValpo

https://acsyracuse.com/pages/vote

Thought you might get a kick at how a new lower level pro soccer team is choosing its mascot. A team in Chicago (same league) did something similar but they had an NCAA like 68 name bracket. No guarantee it ends up with a great name as they picked Chicago House FC.

crusadermoe

The "Vomit pigs" name does offer alliteration with Valparaiso or Valpo

may know

Just don't do anything with Hawks in it. Hawks is one of the blandest, most overused nicknames in sports. Zero uniqueness. Slapping a "Dune" in front of it like UMass Lowell RiverHawks doesn't change that.

The options aren't great, but Storm and Lightning at least aren't terrible. I could get behind those.

Just Sayin