• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Basketball Top 144 Previews

Started by oklahomamick, July 22, 2013, 12:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

the following link shows the top 144 preseason picks. 

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews

In Previous years Valpo earned 97 in 2012 and 131 in 2011.  With the lost of several seniors and HL player of the year, where are going to be ranked?  Over/Under 100????
CRUSADERS!!!

Big D

I don't think you are going to be ranked this year.  They have 3 HL teams ranked.  Oakland was 141.  UWGB was 112.  I think they will finish up with Wright State as their #1 pick.

oklahomamick

Is it going to be that bad of a rebuilding year???
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

No, not at all.  The media and other fans will think so though.  We are not the type of program that will be bottom of the league just because we have a bunch of new players.  The only reason that happened in 2008-2009 was because of several key defections from the program just before the school year was to start.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Since we lost all five starters (including one of the best VU players of all time) and a prime "sixth man" off the bench, as well as the great spirit those players brought, and we have 9 guys on the roster who have not played a minute in a Valpo uniform, one cannot blame anyone for leaving VU out of the rankings, even within the Horizon League top tier.

However, I like that we will have a mystery team this year with no expectations and no pressure, so that any and all accomplishments will be a surprise and a delight. We all know this is supposed to be a "rebuilding" year, though looking at the quality of incoming players I would prefer to call it a "restocking" year.

In addition, I think Dority will be better and more consistent this year, as will Coleman. Gueye might provide unexpected offense to go with his expected defense. Bobby should get to play forward more instead of center, plus last year he underwent mid-season surgery that impacted his year; therefore, he could have a big year this time around. In fact, I saw Bobby last week, and he is healthy and looks to be in great condition. Carter also should give the team a big lift just before conference play. Moreover, I'm hoping the summer workouts are helping get the freshmen off to a quick start.

It will be an exciting year no matter the team's record, but perhaps Valpo will shock the forecasters this season the way Wright State did last year. I'm looking forward to it!

vu72

We may start out a little slow as guys get used to each other.  But when you think about who will be on the floor at the end of the year, teams will have to be impressed.  To begin with we will be MUCH bigger than last year with a MUCH better shooter playing the point (no more sagging in on us guys!) Bigger and more athletic.  Otherwise a "rebuilding year".  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ARCInsider

If Valpo is not one of the top 144 teams in these rankings, they lose all credibility in my mind.  Then again, they put us at 97 last year and I think we were definitely a top 50-55 team, even in the preseason.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

HC

Not having Carter until 2nd semester and a host of unproven (at this level) freshmen is why Valpo is left off. By years end we will be welcoming everyone back to the ARC for the third straight year for the HL tournament.

vufan75

Quote from: HC on August 08, 2013, 12:20:51 PM
Not having Carter until 2nd semester and a host of unproven (at this level) freshmen is why Valpo is left off. By years end we will be welcoming everyone back to the ARC for the third straight year for the HL tournament.

I like your thinking and prediction, HC. :)  I hope you are right as it is nice having the tourney at the ARC. On paper, UWGB and WSU should be the favorites, but, you never know how things will shake out, who will miss games due to injuries, etc. For Valpo I think how quickly Carter blends in and finds his role after not playing in games the 1st semester will be the key to any success we have. Would of been interesting if he could of played against his former team SLU, to see how that would of played out. Oh well, at least he becomes eligible right before Christmas when the semester ends.