• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB - Milwaukee @ Valpo 2/21/13

Started by jack, February 21, 2013, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

We need a statement game, and tonight is the night. We handled them pretty good at their place last month. With GB coming up Sat. we need some momentum before heading north. Milwaukee is coming off of a win in the last seconds vs CS, so they will be pumped. I'm sure for them they look at this game as winnable, if they play well. We need to come out strong and keep the preasure on. Pound the ball inside and get them in foul trouble early.

valporun

Hopefully, start the game with a different set of starting guards, whether you keep Richards or Richardson in, put in a Carr or Miller to really throw off UW-Milwaukee. Coach Dorow needs to do something to change the predictability of our starting lineup.

valpotx

I think that we will win this one as well, as we play pretty well at home.  I would absolutely love a #4 or #5 seed this year, as that would be some great improvement over the past years, even without much of a 3 pt crew. 

Valpo 64
UWM 57
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

I'm filling for Jordan at the Mic tonight... I see UWM has won 2 games in the past umpteenhundred games... both against Cleveland State.  The first time they beat CSU, we played them in the next game, and beat them soundly... their last game, the beat CSU on a shot at the buzzer to win by 1... our turn again to run it up on them...

talksalot

Just out of the under 12 media... valpo18-17, uwm on fire from the 3... BUT the fun part is watching the DUM-LUC game on HL network...that is not MY typo... that is exactly what the score board shows...   how appropriate.

SadersofthelostArc

I really like the "feel" of this game right now...we are in good shape.  Coach D has really got things in sync.  Kinda like that outfit she has on tonight  :clap:

talksalot

UWM has 28 3 ptrs in their last 2.5 games...54-43 with 8:30 to play...  This UWM team has two wins since Thanksgiving... both against Cleveland State... and they are 40% from 3pt and 50% from the field... Valpo is not.  Down 11 at the under 8 media... As Rowdie would say... "It's Time"

jack

Quote from: talksalot on February 21, 2013, 08:23:44 PM
UWM has 28 3 ptrs in their last 2.5 games...54-43 with 8:30 to play...  This UWM team has two wins since Thanksgiving... both against Cleveland State... and they are 40% from 3pt and 50% from the field... Valpo is not.  Down 11 at the under 8 media... As Rowdie would say... "It's Time"
Proving once again you are clueless when it comes to the actual game of basketball. I am glad, however, that you approve of what the coach is wearing! Wow. maybe it's time you bug out here youngun.
We started the game with the same 5, and started the 2nd half with the same 5. That was the difference tonight. Our bench guard play was good tonight. Carr would have doubled her assist if the players could have finished.
Certainly not a game we needed to lose.
Once again, time for a change with the starting line up. If we don't get off strong, we are done.

jack

Quote from: jack on February 21, 2013, 09:23:28 PM
Proving once again you are clueless when it comes to the actual game of basketball. I am glad, however, that you approve of what the coach is wearing! Wow. maybe it's time you bug out here youngun.
We started the game with the same 5, and started the 2nd half with the same 5. That was the difference tonight. Our bench guard play was good tonight. Carr would have doubled her assist if the players could have finished.
Once again, time for a change with the starting line up. If we don't get off strong, we are done.
Obviously meant for Sader.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: jack on February 21, 2013, 09:23:28 PM

Lay off talksalot...he's a sweet simpleton who never hurt a fly.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SadersofthelostArc

LOL APOSTLE!  Leave it to Apostle to defuse a tense situation between jack-talksalot.   :rotfl:

talksalot

Whimper Whimper... Just stating facts....  I was laughing too hard at the HL guffaw with 'the DUM Titans' to notice a piddly little thing like mistaking me for an expert!   I just have a masters in statistics.... numbers is my thin'   and as my wife will tell you ...  I NEVER notice what women are wearing... including her!    But come to think of it... an omelet would taste good about now; or a Primanti {pittsburgh citation here} Brothers sandwich.

KL31NY

Didn't watch the game tonight, I had my own women's game on the job today. What was either UWM's offense doing or our defense doing if they shot 30 3-point attempts? UWM takes about 25 per game, so I guess that's not too high above their average, but I'm still curious.

Also, I count 14 missed layups by us tonight... ugh

I hope we respond well in this quick turnaround to go to UWGB. Granted, it might be hard to see any progress since the Phoenix should hammer us as is tradition (South Park, eh). I especially hope Richardson turns it around. She had a lot of time on the bench tonight to get a head start on getting right.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

Started the same 5. Same result. Started the same 5 in the second half....same result. This was the game to change it up. Oh well. Doesn't really matter who we start vs GB.

talksalot

OK, what's the secret to getting an image on these pages..

LaPorteAveApostle

Click on the "mona lisa" middle row all the way to the left and paste the http address TO THE IMAGE ALONE in the box (not the page it's on).  To get it, either click "view original image" when in google image search or right-click (Mac ctrl-click) the image on a page to "open in new tab/window".

Paste THAT address between the [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ] brackets.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

Use the preview button often when trying to pick up new nuances to posting. The preview button is your friend ;D
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

jack

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on February 21, 2013, 09:50:28 PM
LOL APOSTLE!  Leave it to Apostle to defuse a tense situation between jack-talksalot.   :rotfl:

Do you ever read what you type before you post? Nothing tense between me and talksalot, or anyone for that matter. You really should try and stay on point. It's about the basketball.

valporun

jack, Saders is going to keep stirring his pot (cauldron) full of crap until he really starts doing something constructive, like actually breakdown some women's basketball, instead of women's head basketball coach fashion options.

What I saw from tonight's game, especially after halftime looked to be a potion that was created in Saders's cauldron of crap. We looked like garbage for a long time, and UW-Milwaukee took advantage of the fact that we look like a clueless high school team posing as an NCAA D-I basketball team playing under a D-II philosophy. Of course, this season was going to be a wash, but I didn't think we'd be watching the same mistakes over and over, much like we saw during football season, but when you're trying to get the whole season to bear on the shoulders of two forwards, instead of finding a balance in your guard play, you're toast. Gerardot and Lange can't do it all. They can scrap for the ball and buckets like some of the best, but they can't carry an entire program/team on their shoulders. We need an attitude change in our starting guard play, not an "if you feel it, you'll be All-Americans" hope from two guards who either don't shoot, or aren't consistent enough in their play to be effective help to our two forwards that have to do everything.

KL31NY

Just saw this in Oren's post-game recap

QuoteCharae Richardson missed all eight of her shots in the first half and then left the court after taking a vicious blow to the head. Richardson didn't return to action in the second half.

Certainly changes my comments on Richardson from above. Since I did not see the game live and I'm still waiting for a chance to re-watch even the highlights, I was unaware of this situation. Hopefully she's back at full strength and mind soon!

jack

Sorry to hear that about Richardson. For a couple of reasons actually. First and foremost, you hate to hear any player getting hurt and unable to play. Hope she recovers soon. Second, I actually thought that she was benched because she was ineffective. That would have been a move in the right direction for the coaches. Now, it seems she would have continued to play if she wasn't hurt. I wonder then, why did she start the second half? Was it the second half when she got hurt?

KL31NY

I'm not exactly sure what happened as there's some discrepancy between Oren's note and the box score. Richardson played 14/20 minutes in the first half, missed 3 layups, 3 2-point jumpers, and 2 3-pointers. She was subbed out a couple times in the final minute of the first half, started the 2nd half, subbed out at 16:01, and did not play again.

I'd have to imagine she got hurt in the 2nd half if I have a guess. As to how much she was playing and how she was, I'm still curious. I'm hoping the archive ends up on the Horizon League site so I can check things out myself and tie up some of these loose ends in the story.