• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB Valpo @ Greenbay 2/23/13

Started by jack, February 23, 2013, 03:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Same 2 starting guards, same start to the game. Not that it mattered vs GB, but come on, let's try something different. Just because it's what you always do doesn't mean you always have to do it. Our starting guards neither generate "O", but they don't get the ball inside and get the others involved.

jack

Nice to see some of the other players getting some floor time. Might have been a good game to get Dean some minutes also. Would really like to see what she can do after she shakes off the jitters. By the time that happens, she's out.
Carr did a nice job handling the PG possition today. Maybe pair her up with Richards or Richardson next start. Miller was active and playing well. They killed us on that lob inside over the defender. After 4 in a row, I'd think an adjustment was in order. Obviously, fronting them wasn't working. We weren't going to beat a top 25 team on their floor, so it may good sense to give some other players some time. Jansone got more minutes then she has in a long time.
Good hard effort ladies. Glad that one is behind us.

KL31NY

How much of 38 points was our offense versus their defense? I didn't get to watch the game so all I have are these rough-looking numbers. Any game where it takes 7 minutes to get a field goal and your leading scorer is held to 2 points is usually gonna be a loss, and a big one against the likes of UWGB.

Also, this is the 3rd year in a row that the Phoenix has claimed either a share of or all of the conference title at home against us.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

GB is known for their D. Has been for some time. Even with that, our inability early on offensively played into their hand. I know I sound like a broken record, but when you start each and every game with 2 defensive minded guards, the writting is on the wall. I felt that in this game, both guards seemed to come out scared. Tabby needed touches inside early on but they never came. Our starting guards struggle to feed the ball inside at crucial times and in scoring possition. We have other guards that do better at this. As someone else mentioned here, they tend to stick with safe passes. That won't get it done inside. Couple that with their inability to score, and it makes for a long afternoon. You're right, 7 minutes before your first bucket spells trouble. And it took a bench player, Carr, to come in and hit it.

As for GB collecting a share of the title vs us 3 years running speaks more to their dominance in the league, and when we are scheduled to play them in the season more than anything. Everyone else has been playing for second for years. They lose some talented seniors after this season so maybe things will tighten up again.

valporun

jack, I doubt things tighten up too much. The current coach at UWGB replaced the head coach that replaced him 5 years ago when Kevin Borseth went to Michigan. Borseth stamped the footprint that made UWGB into the dominant HL team they've been on the women's side. He knows how to recruit for this league and this program, so I can't imagine that the Phoenix fall off the tree at any time in the near future.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on February 24, 2013, 02:48:21 PMHe knows how to recruit for this league and this program

run, that's a polite way of saying "he couldn't for the B1G at Michigan".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Actually, he could there too, but I believe he returned because of his family in Green Bay?

LaPorteAveApostle

eh...he did get us back to the dance, but not much else.  we have a much better coach now, and I'm pretty sure if he hadn't left when his contract was up, dave brandon would have let it expire himself.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa