• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2016-17

Started by talksalot, November 14, 2016, 11:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

wasnt there a player who was dismissed before the season started?  He was a transfer.  We never received details on that either.  Just hope they are playing Saturday. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Love the idea of expanding the crossroad classic.  Great for entire state base, businesses in Indy, fans, students, fans, high school coaches.

I wonder if legislatures would have to encourage it and pull some weight (you know like the way Baylor got into the B12).  I wonder how aggressive our athletic department is when trying to put the program is good situations?  Maybe they try, I don't know. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 14, 2016, 05:43:29 PM
Love the idea of expanding the crossroad classic.  Great for entire state base, businesses in Indy, fans, students, fans, high school coaches.

I wonder if legislatures would have to encourage it and pull some weight (you know like the way Baylor got into the B12).  I wonder how aggressive our athletic department is when trying to put the program is good situations?  Maybe they try, I don't know.

Are you referring to the legislature forcing IU and Purdue to play the Indiana mid-majors in a preseason Crossroads Classic?  Novel idea.

Personally, I see something like that, played in Indianapolis,  being a great thing for the state and college basketball, as whole.  This could be as insane as Hoosier Hysteria.  And get tremendous press for all teams involved.  It would be closed to outsiders.  It would showcase Indiana college basketball.  The big boys would actually have to get psyched to play the E'villes, Valpos and IPFWs.  Upsets would not be frequent but RPIs would all do well on a state-wide average.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 14, 2016, 06:16:44 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 14, 2016, 05:43:29 PM

Are you referring to the legislature forcing IU and Purdue to play the Indiana mid-majors in a preseason Crossroads Classic?  Novel idea.

Personally, I see something like that, played in Indianapolis,  being a great thing for the state and college basketball, as whole.  This could be as insane as Hoosier Hysteria.  And get tremendous press for all teams involved.  It would be closed to outsiders.  It would showcase Indiana college basketball.  The big boys would actually have to get psyched to play the E'villes, Valpos and IPFWs.  Upsets would not be frequent but RPIs would all do well on a state-wide average.
You should listen to the Union Street Hoops podcast. You'd enjoy it.

VULB#62

vu72

Don't look now but, Northwestern survives Chicago State 68-64.  They were within 2 with under 60 seconds to go.  A guy named Fred Sims hit 7 3's, many of which were well beyond the NBA 3 line.  They are VERY athletic and small.  They also appeared to be well coached.  If they are "on" we will have our hands full.  Now on to watch Wisconsin and Green Bay!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

And now, UIC takes down DePaul!!  Very athletic and long.  Should be a good game on the 30th which I will be attending!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Sounds like they paid a heavy price with Dixon going down with an apparent knee injury.

VU2014

QuoteLove the idea of expanding the crossroad classic.  Great for entire state base, businesses in Indy, fans, students, fans, high school coaches.

haha I wish. It would be great for college basketball and the state of Indiana but considering how IU, ND, and Purdue make up a large base of Indiana college sports fans I would bank on it happening since those teams, technically have more to lose from playing one of the top mid-major teams in the nation on a neutral court. Wouldn't be popular with those fans.

But if the legislature could figure out a way to raise a great deal of tax revenue for the State via, TV rights to a College Basketball State of Indiana Tournament then MAYBE they would consider pushing some button to get something done, but I don't see the urge by any politician willing to push such an agenda. Maybe if there was a large financial incentive for the IU, Purdue and ND's of Indiana schools to participate such as prize $ for the Top 3 schools Athletic Departments or scholarship fund from the TV rights of the tournament. Either way I don't see it happening.   

valpo64

Still confused on the Jubril/ Max "issue".     Am i missing something on the whole thing?  Are they done?  Off the team?  Suspended?  If so , how long?   Etc, etc??

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on December 15, 2016, 12:35:57 PM
Still confused on the Jubril/ Max "issue".     Am i missing something on the whole thing?  Are they done?  Off the team?  Suspended?  If so , how long?   Etc, etc??

I'd ask Paul Oren.  He doesn't know!!   ;)

M

vu72

talksalot

Back on topic... Coppin State down 43-31 at the half to goldey-beacom college...

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on December 15, 2016, 05:52:56 PM
Quote from: M on December 15, 2016, 05:16:57 PM
Dixon done for the year.

They looked really good without him.

Ya gotta feel sorry for the kid (and UIC).  I wish him a full recovery. The kid is good and the HL needs quality teams. Oren says that he has exceeded the %age of games played to be a medical red shirt.

talksalot

12/13/2016  Oregon 81  Montana 67
12/13/2016  Santa Clara 77  UC-Riverside 53  (nice second half, they were tied at 33 late in first half)
12/14/2016  Missouri State 86  Oral Roberts 76 
12/14/2016  Northwestern 68 Chicago State 64
12/15/2016  Coppin State 89  Goldey-Beacom College 83... First win of the year for the Eagles.
12/15/2016  Alabama 78 South Carolina-Upstate 61
12/17/2016  Southern Utah   IUPUI   Cedar City, Utah

so far... its been a pretty good week for the opposition, and the Valpo RPI holds at 36...  could be some resume-helpers here!

12/17/2016  Chicago State   DePaul    (@Depaul)  1PM
12/17/2016  Santa Clara   Washington State   Pullman  3PM
12/17/2016  Kentucky   North Carolina   T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas  4:30pm
12/17/2016  Missouri State   Southeast Missouri State   Springfield, MO  5pm
12/17/2016  IUPUI Southern Utah   5pm
12/17/2016  BYU   Illinois  Champaign  8:30pm
12/17/2016  Oregon   UNLV  Moda Center, Portland  10PM

talksalot

12/17/2016  DePaul  109 Chicago State 61 
Eli Cain hit seven 3-pointers and scored a career-high 31 points, Tre'Darius McCallum had his second-career double-double and DePaul cruised to a 109-61 victory over Chicago State on Saturday.

12/17/2016  Washington State 69 Santa Clara 68   Pullman  3PM
PULLMAN, Wash. -- Josh Hawkinson scored 21 points and Washington State staged a furious comeback in the last six minutes, defeating Santa Clara 69-68 on Saturday when Charles Callison came up with the game-saving block.

The Cougars (6-5) scored 14 of the game's final 16 points, but couldn't breathe a sigh of relief until Callison sealed the win with his last second block of SCU's Jared Brownridge. It was only fitting that the game lied in their hands, as Brownridge had scored 25 points and Callison was at the center of WSU's rally.

The Cougars trailed 66-55 with less than six minutes to play when they began to catch their rhythm. Callison brought WSU to within 66-65 on a 3-pointer with 2:09 remaining, and his layup with 1:25 left gave the team its first lead since halftime.

Santa Clara (5-7) missed its last seven shots, but still had a chance to send the game into overtime in the closing seconds when they trailed 69-66. WSU chose to foul Jarvis Pugh with seven seconds left to prevent a 3-pointer, and his pair of free throws brought within one.

Callison, who ranks third in the Pac-12 in free throw percentage, missed the front end of a one-and-one to set the stage for the thrilling conclusion. Brownridge pulled up near the 3-point line, only to have Callison swat away the game winner.

"I knew he was going to try to get the last shot up at the 3 and I just tried to make a big play and not foul him," Callison said.

WSU showed a level of resiliency that was lacking in previous seasons, but third-year WSU coach Ernie Kent believe Saturday's comeback could be the turning in his program.

"One of the things that has kept me awake a lot of nights the last three years is when they have that saying at the end of an event here that we Coug'd it and I always kept saying `Boy, wouldn't it be great to change that around to where it meant a positive thing, that Coug'd it means you pulled it out,' " Kent said. "...Maybe this is the start of something for us."

BIG PICTURE

Santa Clara: Brownridge reached the 25-point mark for the fourth time this season, and improved his scoring average to 17.6 points per game. His seven made 3-pointers tied a season high. The Broncos have one game remaining before West Coast Conference play begins against BYU.

12/17/2016  Kentucky 103  North Carolina 100 
Malik Monk scored a Kentucky freshman record 47 points and hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 16.7 seconds left to lead the sixth-ranked Wildcats past No. 7 North Carolina 103-100 on Saturday.

12/17/2016  Missouri State 71  Southeast Missouri State 66
Ryan Kreklow scored 17 points Saturday night and Missouri State held off Southeast Missouri for a 71-66 win in the campus round of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic.

12/17/2016  IUPUI 101 Southern Utah  81
Matt O'Leary scored 20 points and Darell Combs added 16 as IUPUI routed Southern Utah 101-81 on Saturday night.... shooting 60% from the field to do it.

12/17/2016  Illinois 75 BYU 73  @ United Center;   and the VALPO RPI falls to 36 on the Cougar loss...

12/17/2016  Oregon 83 UNLV 63  ... and the RPI stays at 36.  one behind Northwestern.

oklahomamick

Not a good night for our friends in the HL.  At least Detroit picked up their first D1 victory.
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Titans win was over the same team that also tore up Indiana State...Titans RPI jumped to #315.

Lets hope those OOC folks keep winning... our RPI will start falling off the cliff... by walking into the gym.

our upcoming opponent RPIs:

Santa Clara #317
Chicago State #250
UIC #246
Oakland #191
Detroit #315
Youngstown #269
Cleveland State #186
Green Bay #163
Wright State #151
Northern Ky #178
Milwaukee #259

agibson

At least with Oakland working the power conference formula this year (lots of wins, even if they're not the toughest games), they'll help our, and the conference, RPI in league play this season. Even if their own RPI isn't so great.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on December 18, 2016, 09:57:09 AM
At least with Oakland working the power conference formula this year (lots of wins, even if they're not the toughest games), they'll help our, and the conference, RPI in league play this season. Even if their own RPI isn't so great.

That's NOT necessarily true. It'll help THEIR RPI. Not ours. Remember, opponents win percentage counts more than opponents opponents winning percentage.

HOWEVER - having more top 100 RPI opponents should look nice (didn't seem to matter last year). Everyone playing a soft schedule is a good way to game RPI - the Summit did this last year and the MAC consistently does this every year. The selection committee doesn't seem to realize this and simply goes by raw RPI and geography when seeding the last auto bids.

Valpower

Quote from: a3uge on December 18, 2016, 10:11:40 AM

That's NOT necessarily true. It'll help THEIR RPI. Not ours. Remember, opponents win percentage counts more than opponents opponents winning percentage.

HOWEVER - having more top 100 RPI opponents should look nice (didn't seem to matter last year). Everyone playing a soft schedule is a good way to game RPI - the Summit did this last year and the MAC consistently does this every year. The selection committee doesn't seem to realize this and simply goes by raw RPI and geography when seeding the last auto bids.
You made Agibson's point. He is saying that Oakland, our opponent with a high win percentage, will help our RPI.

a3uge

Quote from: Valpower on December 18, 2016, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 18, 2016, 10:11:40 AM

You made Agibson's point. He is saying that Oakland, our opponent with a high win percentage, will help our RPI.
I did. Apparently my reading comprehension isn't good.

agibson

It definitely feels like a departure for Oakland. More often they've played -top- teams on the road, destroying their record but keeping a reasonably robust RPI for themselves. And, dragging the league down in the process.

This idea seems like core RPI truth to me, and causes powers conference RPI's to rise once conference play begins (even if it sort of feels like conference RPI's should be locked in at that point).

But, I don't see it discussed much, and basketball pundits seem to regularly get it wrong. For instance, some insist that we should wait until well after conference play begins to "trust" RPI. It's true that the numbers don't mean much after only a few games. And it's true that they won't "stabilize" until conference play is well under way. But that's beause this is when power conferences weak home schedules work their magic on their RPI's.

It seems like an under-discussed reason -not- to use RPI's in any kind of unvarnished fashion (eg not even when calculating quality wins).

justducky

Nice 70-48 Northern Kentucky win over top 100 Eastern Washington. Norse are disciplined and well coached. Their success should continue.