• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2016-17

Started by talksalot, November 14, 2016, 11:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 18, 2017, 03:53:41 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 18, 2017, 03:12:03 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 17, 2017, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 11:26:37 AMhttp://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/1/17/14296328/my-big-weekend-wrapup-maction-mid-major-madness-jinx-gonzaga-saint-marys My big weekend wrapup: #MACtion and the Mid-Major Madness Jinx We recap that last three days and set the table for what's to come. by Russell Steinberg@Russ_Steinberg  Jan 17, 2017, 7:57am PST Stock Falling: "Oakland: We jumped to the front of the Oakland bandwagon when the Golden Grizzlies beat Valparaiso last week. Since then, they squeaked by a bad Illinois Chicago team by one, then lost a pair of home games to even-worse Detroit and Cleveland State. What's going on in Oakland?"

Don't tell the UIC fans that someone referred to them as "Illinois Chicago".
I'm with UIC fans on that one.

They should really complain to the NCAA website. They are listed at "Ill.-Chicago". And that annoys me when I'm trying to compile RPI stats and figure out who is in my NCAA bracket
Agreed.  I assumed their media guide pushed "UIC", but if they haven't followed through everywhere they should, that's on them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

talksalot

Warren Nolan RPI has them    Illinois-Chicago

RealTimeRPI has them:       Ill. Chicago

CBS Sports has them:   Illinois-Chicago

Headline in the Youngstown Newspaper:    Illinois-Chicago Beats Youngstown State 92-89 In OT

Can I just call them Circle Campus?  Just once??? OK, not a good idea.

Kyle321n

KenPom has them as "Illinois Chicago" to throw one more way they are listed.

How about we all just agree to call the Flames.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

StlVUFan

Quote from: talksalot on January 18, 2017, 04:23:14 PM
Warren Nolan RPI has them    Illinois-Chicago

RealTimeRPI has them:       Ill. Chicago

CBS Sports has them:   Illinois-Chicago

Headline in the Youngstown Newspaper:    Illinois-Chicago Beats Youngstown State 92-89 In OT

Can I just call them Circle Campus?  Just once??? OK, not a good idea.
You and Ed bleepin' Farmer... bleh ;)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

talksalot

Maybe we can get Ewwy-Pewwy back on the schedule and have some real semantics fun!

justducky

Santa Clara lost at home to Gonzaga 88-57. Ouch!!!

It is interesting that our RPI now stands at 60 while our BPI is 124. Last year our BPI was 42?ish  prior to selection sunday. I agree we are not as good but are we really that bad?

talksalot

overall last night our ooc opponents went 2-2

Oregon by 23 over Cal
BYU by 29 over Pepperdine

Idaho by 12 or SUU
Zags by 31 over Santa Clara

=================
Tonight, no OOC opponents are playing; just these ditties from the HL...

Wright State favored by 7.5 over UDM - @WSU
Oakland favored by 3 over NoKy - @NKY
Milwaukee favored by 1 over ClevSt - @MIL
GreenBay favored by 10.5 over YST - @GBY

talksalot

For those chomping at the bit to track changes to the RPI, Saturday will be a fun day for you.  Only one of our OOC opponents does not play on Saturday.

Ball State @ Bowling Green
Rhode Island @ Duquesne
Indiana State @ Wichita State
Bradley @ Missouri State
Alabama @ Auburn
Loyola-Marymount @ Santa Clara
Southern Utah @ East Washington
South Carolina @ Kentucky
Stanford @ Oregon
BYU @ Pacific
Chicago State @ UT-Rio Grande Valley

Coppin State takes their 3-game winning streak into Monday night...

talksalot

Early evening update

Valpo's RPI opens the day at #61. 

Bowling Green 79 Ball State 74
Rhode Island 90 Duquesne 69
Wichita State 84 Indiana State 58
Missouri State 76 Bradley 62
Auburn 84 Alabama 64
Santa Clara 64 Loyola-Marymount 63
East Washington 83 Southern Utah 68

so far, 3-4 on the day...and the RPI has slipped to 63... 4 more to go.

South Carolina @ Kentucky - BBN up early
Stanford @ Oregon - Ducks up early
BYU @ Pacific - Cougars up early
Chicago State @ UT-Rio Grande Valley - 7pm CT Tip.

talksalot

so far, 3-4 on the day...and the RPI has slipped to 63... 4 more to go.

Kentucky 85 South Carolina 69
Oregon 69 Stanford 52
BYU 62 Pacific 47
UT-Rio Grande Valley 85 Chicago State 77

The OOC OPP go 6-5 on the day... and the RPI wakes up on Sunday at 65 numerically:  .5709

justducky

Oakland at WSU is crucial to how the HL standings sort out. I hope our public address guy doesn't decide to keep this information to himself.  ;)

wh

It looks like conversation on the Oakland board will soon be switching to the old standby "the regular season doesn't mean anything anyway."  ;)

hailcrusaders

Wright State obliterated Oakland 88-67 at the Nuthouse. Raiders have figured out how to score all of a sudden, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about our upcoming matchup.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2017, 03:02:59 PMIt looks like conversation on the Oakland board will soon be switching to the old standby "the regular season doesn't mean anything anyway."  ;)

Which is sure easy to say when you know the conference tournament will be played in your own backyard.
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 22, 2017, 03:12:01 PM
Quote from: wh on January 22, 2017, 03:02:59 PMIt looks like conversation on the Oakland board will soon be switching to the old standby "the regular season doesn't mean anything anyway."  ;)
Which is sure easy to say when you know the conference tournament will be played in your own backyard.

HL should have worked out a deal, where it was in Detroit a couple years and then Chicago a couple years. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

VU2014

QuoteQuote from: hailcrusaders on Today at 03:12:01 PM
Quote from: wh on Today at 03:02:59 PM
It looks like conversation on the Oakland board will soon be switching to the old standby "the regular season doesn't mean anything anyway."  ;)

HL should have worked out a deal, where it was in Detroit and couple years and then Chicago a couple years.

QuoteOr just left it alone

Yes! Preach! 🙌

The Motor City Dumpster Fire Tournament is the worst thing the HL HQ has done in years. I'm never going to get over it, till the tournament gets reformed (or till the Joe Louis Arena contract is up...).

First off nobody wants to go to Detroit (enough said). second, nobody shows up to the tourney when it in Detroit so the atmosphere is terrible and makes for poor TV and reflects poorly on the conference. Third, it took away from the extra urgency of the conference season of EVERY game matters. It makes the conference tournament tougher on the regular season conference champions and makes it more likely a garbage team or less competitive conference team sneaks up in the tournament and gets hot and wins it all. Then that team falls flat on its face in the NCAA Tournament (also reflecting poorly on the HL). Also the top two teams in the conference get the bye games and have to sit and wait to play so they are cold for the next game.

Paul did a great interview with Former Horizon League Director of Communications Bill Potter on Union Street Hoops and Paul asks him about the thinking behind changing the format. I highly encourage you give it a listen.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_9a42f56c-cdf6-11e6-a837-3380c035b2f7.html

Making life easier for the HL HQ for sponsorships signage and it was easier on HQ from a logistics of putting the event on. Also they wanted to make it more of a conference celebration type of deal. Yeah that didn't happen, imo.

oklahomamick

That's fine, it makes it easier for the HL HQ and sponsorships.  But does have to be Detroit every year? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

QuoteBut does have to be Detroit every year?

I'm pretty sure the Horizon League signed a contract to lease the space for the Tournament so they are obligated to be there for some remaining amount of years. Not sure how much longer. That would be a question for Paul or Aaron Leavitt.

Edit: Just looked it up. 5 year deal. Horizon League makes $200,000 a year.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2015/05/05/horizon-league-joe-louis-arena/26956105/

Horizon League hoops tournament moving to Detroit

The intent is for the men's tournament to begin next year and potentially anchor the tournament in Detroit for the foreseeable future.
Published 9:27 p.m. ET May 5, 2015
By: Mark Snyder , Detroit Free Press

The Horizon League today announced that it has agreed to a five-year deal with Olympia Entertainment to host the conference's men's basketball tournament in Detroit, beginning next season.

The Free Press reported the imminent deal Wednesday.

The first two years of the event will be held at Joe Louis Arena, and the next three at the yet-to-be-built arena for the Detroit Red Wings.

"The addition of the Horizon League men's basketball championship is a perfect compliment to our wide range of existing sports and entertainment events at our downtown Detroit venues," Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Entertainment, said in a released statement. "We look forward to providing an outstanding and memorable tournament experience for the schools, their fans and all participating student athletes."

The championship game will remain at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 8, on ESPN or ESPN2. Additional information will be announced later.

"The partnership with Olympia Entertainment is a unique and exciting opportunity," Horizon League commissioner Jon LeCrone said in the statement. "We want to provide a great tournament experience for all of our key constituents -- student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans -- and we are excited to work with Olympia and our institutions on that goal."

The news was first reported by the blog pantheru.com and said the conference likely would receive $200,000 per year.

The tournament currently begins on campus sites and feeds into the semifinals and finals at the home court of the highest remaining seed. Detroit Mercy and Oakland are in the Horizon League.

Having an anchor site would allow the Horizon to stage surrounding activities, making it more of an event atmosphere, which could attract multiple fans bases.

The Joe does not have much of basketball history, though there have been a few notable games.

It became an alternate basketball venue in 1984, when the Pontiac Silverdome had a scheduling conflict. It hosted the famous, decisive Detroit Pistons vs. New York Knicks Game 5 when Isiah Thomas scored 16 points in 94 seconds to force overtime.

Then the Pistons played there at the conclusion of the 1984-85 campaign, after the Silverdome roof collapsed.

It re-emerged in 2006, when the Detroit Shock won the WNBA title over the Sacramento Monarchs in the Game 5 at the JOe because the Palace of Auburn Hills had a concert conflict.

Contact Mark Snyder: msnyder@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter

a3uge

Keep in mind, a sweet 16 run is about $5+ million for a conference. It's virtually impossible to get a sweet 16 run from a 14-15 seed, and the Horizon sets itself up for a bad seed every time the top team doesn't win the conference tournament.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2017, 10:21:46 PM
Keep in mind, a sweet 16 run is about $5+ million for a conference. It's virtually impossible to get a sweet 16 run from a 14-15 seed, and the Horizon sets itself up for a bad seed every time the top team doesn't win the conference tournament.

You don't seem to understand. As Commissioner LeCrone said when the move was made, all the big conferences play at independent sites, so if we play at an independent site, we'll be big too. It's kind of like if you start driving a fancy car like rich people do, you'll be rich too. See how simple it is?

NativeCheesehead

I have said it before and i'll say it again. This move was going to happen at some point, because after the Butler run the HL started to think it's better than it is. But the quickness and urgency to do it was a direct result of our open interest in the MVC. I don't make bold declarations on this board often (mostly just uninformed opinions :) . But this comes from someone I went to high school with who worked in the Conference office at the time.

valpo84

This family will continue to boycott the HL Tourney.  Despite our support of the university and its student-athletes, the HL doesn't need our support.  #BolttheHL
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Valpo89

I laugh at the line about having events outside of the conference tournament that will attract fan bases from all the schools.
There's no way an average person (like me!) would want to make the commitment to go to Detroit.
I just looked at the bracket on the conference web site. What a joke. It adds in the women's tournament on the same page and includes the women in the game numbers.
So if I'm coming from Valpo, here's what it would entail if the Crusaders are a No. 1 seed and advance to the title game: a 5:30 p.m. game on March 4, a 7 p.m. game on March 6 and a 7 p.m. game on March 7.
March 4 is a Saturday, so I leave Valpo in the 9 a.m. range for the game at 4:30 central. Gas for the five-hour drive, maybe $30-$40?
Tickets for the game - I'm sure they aren't cheap. It looks like a floor-level seat is $40 per session.
Hotel room for Saturday night, Sunday night and Monday night - $250-$300 for a decent place?
I have to take vacation days off from work on Monday and Tuesday. The championship is at 6 Central on Tuesday, meaning the game ends at 8. A five-hour drive home puts me back in Valpo in the 1-2 a.m. range. And then I'm supposed to be at work on Wednesday at 8 a.m. so I don't have to take a third vacation day. I'm too old to do that any more.
So here's the tab: $600 for 3 nights in a hotel, $100 (at least) for food, $75 (at least) for gas, $160 for 1 ticket, 3 sessions = that is $935 for a bare bones estimate. Plus I burn two vacation days in early March and I'm dead tired when I get back on Wednesday morning. AND, this is assuming I go by myself, leaving my wife at home for 4 days with my 12-year-old son who would probably rather be with me and miss 2 days of school.

And this for a tournament with a crappy off-campus atmosphere where they have to hide the empty seats from the ESPN cameras. And in an environment that makes it much easier for a Non-No. 1 seed to win, giving the Horizon League a No. 15 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

I don't care what kind of extra entertainment the league lines up. I'm staying home and watching the games online or on TV.

The league must really hate Valpo to make this deal with Detroit. Taking away the incentive to win the league and host the tournament was a huge mistake. Thank you, Horizon League.

oklahomamick

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 23, 2017, 08:07:59 AMI have said it before and i'll say it again. This move was going to happen at some point, because after the Butler run the HL started to think it's better than it is. But the quickness and urgency to do it was a direct result of our open interest in the MVC. I don't make bold declarations on this board often (mostly just uninformed opinions :) . But this comes from someone I went to high school with who worked in the Conference office at the time.

If it was a direct result of our open interest in the MVC, wouldn't the HL try to accommodate us?  Moving it to Detroit clearly hurts Valpo.  Would be much better for the basketball program if the HL would have left on campuses (would have hosted last year, brought sales tax revenue and probably another NCAA tournament bid) or place it in Chicago as opposed to Detroit.  It appears as changing the tournament site was a punishment for Valpo and further pushes us out the door. 
CRUSADERS!!!