• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2018-2019

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2018, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was it the correct move to relieve Tracey Dorow of her duties as Head Coach of the Valpo Women's Basketball Team?

Yes
No

valpotx

Wow, what a boneheaded play by one of our players at the end of regulation against Indiana State.  We were up by 2 with 3 seconds left, and she fouls trying to steal it on the inbounds pass around half-court, leading to 2 made FTs.  We then lose in OT.  What a dumb play...
"Don't mess with Texas"

hobarthogrider

Bone head play?I'm not sure I agree with that analysis.I don't feel that one play,in any regard,determines the outcome of the game.In my opinion,the ladies played one of their best home games in the two years I have been following.They exhibited a lot of heart,and effort,at the close of regulation,and could very easily have won it.ISU hit some big 3's and free throws to pull it out.The ladies played their hearts out and you could see it on the bench.Kudos on a great team effort.That does not always translate to a W.

valpopal

Poor 3rd quarter proved their undoing again!

valpotx

Yes, bonehead play.  I apologize if you have a connection to the program or the specific player, but trying for a steal on the inbounds play when you are near half court and up by 2 with 3 seconds left, that is not a smart play.  Play it straight up, and make them beat you with a long shot at the buzzer.  Outside of the overall great game that they played, that one play did take it from an almost assured win at that point in the game, to giving them the momentum heading into OT.

I can think of several boneheaded things that I did while playing baseball at Valpo, and you have to be able to admit it, or you won't be able to get back on track.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Totally boneheaded play!  Learn from it, move on and win a game or two.

valpopal

An impressive and much needed victory today over lowly Evansville, 93-49, and the team did it with a complete turnaround of fortune in the third quarter, which has been a big problem all season, by outscoring Evansville 35-7!

[tweet]1087101373265653762[/tweet]

vu72

Ummm,  I think the women have a LONG way to go to get any near the top of the MVC.  They were Destroyed by Missouri State. 108-63!!! :o  A game where we were out-rebounded 48-22.  Wow, just wow... :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on January 28, 2019, 07:36:53 AM
Ummm,  I think the women have a LONG way to go to get any near the top of the MVC.  They were Destroyed by Missouri State. 108-63!!! :o  A game where we were out-rebounded 48-22.  Wow, just wow... :(
Think about this we beat Evansville by over 40.

We are both short handed and just plain
short. At one point we had Meredith at PF and she is 5-8.

Of course we have a 6-5 player who you
would think might get some rebounds
just by standing there but down 40 she
didn't play until 2:10 was left in the game.

I don't understand how we have any game where Hales doesn't get 15 shots.

Listening to the coach this morning you would think we were in the last two games. The power of positive thinking perhaps.

crusader05

Another season ending injury for the team. This time it's Hannah Schaub.

I am now starting to wonder if perhaps conditioning is an issue. Not necessarily the current coach, but of past years. Are all the women who are injured upperclassmen? Is it possible that these women were so far behind because of our past coaching team that this first year with the new coach is proving to be too intense?

IndyValpo

Valpo2013

Wow
Look at Freshman Shay Frederick box score
Stoller great game too

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo2013 on February 01, 2019, 09:10:58 PM
Wow
Look at Freshman Shay Frederick box score
Stoller great game too

Funny thing is they won that game in the first quarter (27-13) and then outlasted Bradley by only giving up the lead at one point in the game, (third quarter) and winning the 4th quarter by one point to win the game by 3. If not for Frederick, a freshman starting for the first time due to Schaub's injury, and her hot shooting, 3 for 3 from three in the first quarter, Valpo doesn't have a chance at all to win that game.

valpotx

Good win, and looked pretty good throughout.  Amazing what happens when you a shoot a decent FG% :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Valiant effort by the ladies, coming back from down 17 in the third, to almost take the lead with 4 seconds left in the game.  We had a contested layup, got the offensive rebound right at the hoop without any contest on the follow-up shot, and she forced it too hard.  Too bad, as that would have been a good win.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 03, 2019, 03:48:35 PM
Valiant effort by the ladies, coming back from down 17 in the third, to almost take the lead with 4 seconds left in the game.  We had a contested layup, got the offensive rebound right at the hoop without any contest on the follow-up shot, and she forced it too hard.  Too bad, as that would have been a good win.

You have to wonder how good this team can be next year with only losing a very talented Meredith and Allison but getting all that talent back from injury plus the players we know of coming in.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2019, 04:00:48 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 03, 2019, 03:48:35 PM

You have to wonder how good this team can be next year with only losing a very talented Meredith and Allison but getting all that talent back from injury plus the players we know of coming in.

I have found over the years that, with the ladies program, available talent doesn't equate to a winning season. Too many times we have been beaten by less talented teams. And as I mentioned previously, not enough time and effort is going into conditioning with very specific drills designed exclusively for women. They need to bring someone on board that gets this. If not, the injuries will continue.

valpowbb1

Quote from: jack on February 04, 2019, 08:35:02 AMnot enough time and effort is going into conditioning with very specific drills designed exclusively for women. They need to bring someone on board that gets this. If not, the injuries will continue.

And how do you know this?  Because kids are getting injured?  Or are you a coach in the program who disagrees with how things are done?

jack

Quote from: valpowbb1 on February 04, 2019, 11:02:49 AM
Quote from: jack on February 04, 2019, 08:35:02 AMnot enough time and effort is going into conditioning with very specific drills designed exclusively for women. They need to bring someone on board that gets this. If not, the injuries will continue.

And how do you know this?  Because kids are getting injured?  Or are you a coach in the program who disagrees with how things are done?

I've coached ladies basketball for many years, and have hung up my whistle some time ago. I know and am familiar with many players that have played in this program and many others. I also know several personal trainers who work specifically with women athletes. Unlike male athletes, women athletes are very prone to injuries because of the way their hips align with their knees. There is a very specific training regiment that helps keep the hips and knees aligned to help avoid back and lower body injuries. This isn't something that the Valpo staff work on, along with many other schools. Strength training is just one part of it. The realignment work is key to keeping the body healthy and help avoid injuries. I follow many teams and don't believe I know of any that suffer the season ending injuries this program seems to. If I were part of this staff, I would certainly be exploring some changes in how they prepare.

VU2014

Valpo women's basketball needs to get Vandy and Tennessee on the schedule next year. I think a healthy VUWBB could beat these sec teams

https://twitter.com/GuoBlue/status/1092198784178634752

Valpo89

Quote from: jack on February 04, 2019, 12:32:31 PM
Quote from: valpowbb1 on February 04, 2019, 11:02:49 AM

I've coached ladies basketball for many years, and have hung up my whistle some time ago. I know and am familiar with many players that have played in this program and many others. I also know several personal trainers who work specifically with women athletes. Unlike male athletes, women athletes are very prone to injuries because of the way their hips align with their knees. There is a very specific training regiment that helps keep the hips and knees aligned to help avoid back and lower body injuries. This isn't something that the Valpo staff work on, along with many other schools. Strength training is just one part of it. The realignment work is key to keeping the body healthy and help avoid injuries. I follow many teams and don't believe I know of any that suffer the season ending injuries this program seems to. If I were part of this staff, I would certainly be exploring some changes in how they prepare.

Bob Brooks is in his first year of working with the women's basketball program. All of the players who are currently hurt or have been first suffered injuries during high school. Bob also works with the volleyball team and those players are healthy. Give him time to get his system in place.

chef

Tracy Dorow didn't use Bob Brooks for strength and conditioning. Bob has worked with women's volleyball for the past 15 years and they've had very few injuries. He is a highly trained professional that Valpo is very lucky to have on their staff. To speculate that the ladies have had numerous injuries because of his training procedures is out of line.

Weitzel1

Bob Brooks is the most qualified strength and conditioning coach at VU. He holds numerous degrees in strength and conditioning. Bob has brought in the likes of Ken Croner (Brett Favre personal strength coach)  for advice. Bob has been with women's basketball for a short time and many of the girls allready had Injuries in high school before they ever got to campus. Brooks cares a lot about his job and the well being of the student-athletes. My personal experience with Mr Brooks has been fantastic. Please know that the women's basketball players are getting top notch strength and conditioning from one of the best!  :troll:

jack

Quote from: chef on February 05, 2019, 09:08:52 AM
Tracy Dorow didn't use Bob Brooks for strength and conditioning. Bob has worked with women's volleyball for the past 15 years and they've had very few injuries. He is a highly trained professional that Valpo is very lucky to have on their staff. To speculate that the ladies have had numerous injuries because of his training procedures is out of line.

To be clear, I was not singling out Bob, or any other trainer or strength coach. You are correct, a lot of injuries women face are reoccurring injuries from high school and earlier. There are still those that are not. I'm glad to hear they have brought someone on board to work on their strength and conditioning training. My point was, if this conditioning work doesn't include realignment exercises, it needs to. I have seen, first hand, the benefits of these exercises, which has always been far fewer injuries. That's a fact.

valpotx

Quote from: chef on February 05, 2019, 09:08:52 AM

Seconded.  Bob goes back to my time on campus, which is when he first started working with Valpo teams, after he did some fitness competing.  He actually coached our JV baseball team for one season, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"