• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2018-2019

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2018, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was it the correct move to relieve Tracey Dorow of her duties as Head Coach of the Valpo Women's Basketball Team?

Yes
No

FWalum

Just wondering why there isn't any video of the women's game today vs UNI?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

There was no video for the women's game because of how ESPNU had to have things set up for the coverage of the men's game today. It was mentioned in the game notes for today's game.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2018-19/18821/hoops-doubleheader-tips-off-with-women-hosting-uni/

VULB#62

From the box score:  3RD QTR SYNDROME......  again.

VU2014

Detroit Piston Henry Ellenson was in the house yesterday supporting his sister

https://twitter.com/hollyjelle/status/1095025102813581312?s=21

IndyValpo

Holy 50 point turnaround Batman. We lose to a completely dreadful UE squad.

Another total collapse in the 3rd quarter.
Injuries or not there is a problem here.

valpotx

Yeah, that is a terrible loss.  Evansville sucks at Women's Basketball...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 15, 2019, 08:06:50 PM
Holy 50 point turnaround Batman. We lose to a completely dreadful UE squad.

Another total collapse in the 3rd quarter.
Injuries or not there is a problem here.

The one hope I have is that Coach Evans was in there grilling her players when they were making mistake after mistake and losing to an Evansville team that was much improved but not unbeatable. Evans was holding her team accountable. If she gets her players, such as players like Stoller, I think she can compete in the MVC. Maybe not like Drake or Missouri State but up in the top 5.

jack

Something is missing here. We can't keep blaming the lack of talent for these dreadful losses. I get it that we have a new coach and program. We should still expect incremental improvement over the course of a season. There has been zero. Losing to a team like EU puts things into perspective. How is it that EU, as bad as they've been, has shown improvement, and yet we have not? The argument that the coach is dealing with "Dorow's players" is thin at best. We heard the same thing about Dorow dealing with Freeman's players, so wait until she gets her players. How'd that work out for us?

NativeCheesehead

Dude, relax. There's been what? Five season ending injuries? For a time you have had a volleyball player getting meaningful minutes.

Now I'm not saying I'm sold on this coach. And quite frankly our ADs decisions in regards to the WBB coaching have been questionable at best. But considering how big of a dumpster fire things were under Dorow, I think we can give Evans a couple of seasons.

IndyValpo

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 18, 2019, 08:32:08 AM
Dude, relax. There's been what? Five season ending injuries? For a time you have had a volleyball player getting meaningful minutes.

Now I'm not saying I'm sold on this coach. And quite frankly our ADs decisions in regards to the WBB coaching have been questionable at best. But considering how big of a dumpster fire things were under Dorow, I think we can give Evans a couple of seasons.
Of course she deserves several years but it would be nice to see improvement as well.
And Carlson has not played meaningful minutes. Other than the exhibition game she has barely played a meaningful minute.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 18, 2019, 11:36:30 AM

Of course she deserves several years but it would be nice to see improvement as well.
And Carlson has not played meaningful minutes. Other than the exhibition game she has barely played a meaningful minute.

My concern is the regression of the current players.  You beat an Evansville team by 44 and then lose to the same team by 12?  Sure Hannah played the first game and was out for the second, but that accounts for 6 points, not 56!  What's up with that?  :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

My apologies on the stats. I guess the bottom line is I only have enough energy to worry about one of our basketball coaches at a time.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 18, 2019, 11:36:30 AM

My cousin in Valpo has met Katherine Carlson and her parents and has found them extremely engaging, very nice people. He really admires Carlson for going through a grueling VB season and then stepping right into the WBB season when needed (the departure of Bryce Blood). This is not like VB setter Brittany Anderson who gets some time, not a whole lot, before the softball season begins.

vu72

Zoe could be a real steal if she can stay healthy.  Already has had 3 ACL surgeries but did have a previous offer from Wisconsin.

On a positive note, our women's team avenged the men's loss to Loyola yesterday, beating the women's Loyola team at the ARC.  I really think this team could be something very good next year, once three injured starters return.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on March 10, 2019, 07:53:25 AM
Zoe could be a real steal if she can stay healthy.  Already has had 3 ACL surgeries but did have a previous offer from Wisconsin.

On a positive note, our women's team avenged the men's loss to Loyola yesterday, beating the women's Loyola team at the ARC.  I really think this team could be something very good next year, once three injured starters return.

Is there any chance that she plays a full season knowing her knee issues?  Seems akin to offering Burton (academics) and hoping things change.  Suppose that's what a mid-major has to do, take some risk.

IndyValpo

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 10, 2019, 08:37:17 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 10, 2019, 07:53:25 AM

Is there any chance that she plays a full season knowing her knee issues?  Seems akin to offering Burton (academics) and hoping things change.  Suppose that's what a mid-major has to do, take some risk.
A better comparison might be Marlee Profit who came in after a HS school injury and has missed 2 of 3 years with additional injuries...hope not.

Hard to find much info but she is 5-9 and played on a very good team. We still need to find front court depth. Hopefully Morrison and Profit will be healthy. Sadly I doubt the latter.

vu72

You have to take a chance on Zoe's health given her talent.  High School elites has her ranked #7 in the state and she had three Big Ten offers.

VULB#62

Dani Franklin hired as Valpo women's bb coach.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2018-19/19113/dani-franklin-joins-valpo-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/

I think this is a good move. The writeup chronicles all her honors and, wow, there are a bunch of them. Good to have her back.

Brandon

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 08, 2019, 12:18:17 PM

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2018-19/19113/dani-franklin-joins-valpo-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/

I think this is a good move. The writeup chronicles all her honors and, wow, there are a bunch of them. Good to have her back.

Excellent hire by Mary. I was around the program throughout Dani's career, and I've never heard someone say a negative thing about Dani. She loves Valpo and will be a great asset in recruiting. It says a lot about Dani that she earned this job even though she didn't play for the current head coach, so she didn't have a prior relationship with Mary. Mary has mentioned wanting players like Addison Stoller. There's no better way to enhance that culture than to bring back to the person who was Addison's role model within the program. Can't wait for '19-'20.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 08, 2019, 12:18:17 PM

Agreed this is a good move and brings post experience to the table. Unfortunately we did not add any C/PF
depth. Hopefully Morrison and Profit can contribute minutes as Ellenson and Stoller fouled out 27 times last year with no subs per se.

NativeCheesehead

Leaving aside Mr. Bradford's (now former) association with Valpo, posts like these, whatever the connection to the student (AAU, etc) are just so freaking creepy.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 13, 2019, 09:19:34 AM
https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/1127926589180846081
Honestly what the coach did to her this year is sad. After losing Blood early we had zero subs for under the basket except her. Despite losing 8 games by more than 20 plus 3 games by 19 and winning 2 games by over 20 and despite having Ellenson and Stoller foul out 27 times she was played 8 minutes in 3 games. She is a walk-on and obviously not very good but still...