• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB. - Eastern Illinois @ the ARC tonight

Started by jack, December 20, 2011, 07:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

For obvious reasons, this contest will be a tough one to close out the year. The lady crusaders will have momentum coming off their big win at Ball State, but it'll take more then momentum to get the W tonight. It's a given that we'll be short handed again, as usual. I suspect we won't be seeing Scott hit the floor any time soon. It's going to take a near perfect effort, to keep our momentum going.
Keys to the game:
Defense. If we can keep up the defensive preasure that we've displayed thus far, this will be HUGE. EI is averaging 77 a contest, and our D is giving up 58 per. This might just be the biggest factor tonight.
We've got to get hands in the face of Nixon and King EVERY time they touch the ball. If we don't control these two on offense, it'll be a long night. We need Lange and Varner to body up on King and keep her off the boards. She's having a carreer there thus far. Gerardot will be busy enough, and we must keep her out of foul trouble.
We need our guards to play scrappy and continue to come up with boards at key times tonight.
The ladies must continue to communicate and switch off when needed. We did a really good job of that at BSU.
Offense. Continue to push the ball. Without Scott in the mix, Richards, Carr, and Timmerman have to get the ball up the floor quickly, and stay out of the obvious trap situations. We can't afford the turnovers tonight, and we have to keep them back on their heals on D.
Tempo - Have to control it, period. We can't let EI dictate this one. Getting the ball up quick, doesn't mean we can't pull it out and work the offense. Forcing them to play D as deep into the clock as we can will favor us I believe, and it limits the scoring opportunities for them. This will be big too.
We need another gut check from Timmerman. We are a different team with her in the rotation, and it gives others a blow when need. And we need her experience, and scoring.
Horton. Will she be back? Who knows. We could certainly use her.
Ball control. Our guards did a nice job at BSU handling the ball, and looking for each other when the preasure was on. They're doing a great job of recognizing what the D is giving them. Richards and Carr did a nice job of reversing roles at BSU with Richards dishing the assist, and Carr looking to score. They need to pick up on what's availble, in short order tonight.
We did a great job, collectively, at the stripe. That needs to continue if we wan't to get out with a W tonight.
Biggest key of this contest is staying out of foul trouble. We are doing a nice job of that to this point, and MUST stay focused, slide our feet, and resist the reach in. Tonight's the night we have to give up the basket, rather then get the foul.
Good Luck tonight Lady Crusaders. Let's close out the year with a W!

valpotx

Looks like an improved Eastern Illinois team from when we last played them.  Good luck lady Crusaders!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

All they do is win win win...NO MATTER WHAT!

Limited depth?  Hosting a strong 7-2 team?  Coming off an emotional win over a hated in-state rival?  None of that stood in the way of the Lady 'Saders tonight.  Lately, all they do is win, no matter what obstacles they must overcome. This team is gelling at just the right time---heading into Horizon League play.

Now, I know...haters gonna hate, and there will be the typical reactions to this thread---"This is NOT an NCAA tourney team," "It's just one win against a mediocre team," "They are still 4-7," "blah blah blah inferiority complex blah blah."  But if you think for one second that the coaches and players at UWGB are not taking note and starting to get a little concerned, then you are out in left field somewhere.  And for the at-large talk?  In my talks with several "in the know" (at least far more than I am) re: women's hoops, Eastern Illinois was getting some serious looks by the NCAA goon squad/selection committee as a potential mid-major at-large.  This win is meaningful for us, believe me.   

Good win by a GREAT group of girls!  I am SO stinkin' pumped right now!

jack

Great win by the Lady Crusaders! 53 - 50. Nice way to go into the break. I'm still amazed at how we continue to compete with 6 players. This will be a much needed rest for the team. I knew Timmerman being able to go would make a difference. Richards' defense was huge tonight. I don't know how Freeman is doing it, but he's doing it. My hat's off to him. Merry Christmas Lady Crusaders! Now go and relax, and enjoy family and friends!

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on December 20, 2011, 07:39:51 AM
For obvious reasons, this contest will be a tough one to close out the year. The lady crusaders will have momentum coming off their big win at Ball State, but it'll take more then momentum to get the W tonight. It's a given that we'll be short handed again, as usual. I suspect we won't be seeing Scott hit the floor any time soon. It's going to take a near perfect effort, to keep our momentum going.
Keys to the game:
Defense. If we can keep up the defensive preasure that we've displayed thus far, this will be HUGE. EI is averaging 77 a contest, and our D is giving up 58 per. This might just be the biggest factor tonight.
We've got to get hands in the face of Nixon and King EVERY time they touch the ball. If we don't control these two on offense, it'll be a long night. We need Lange and Varner to body up on King and keep her off the boards. She's having a carreer there thus far. Gerardot will be busy enough, and we must keep her out of foul trouble.
We need our guards to play scrappy and continue to come up with boards at key times tonight.
The ladies must continue to communicate and switch off when needed. We did a really good job of that at BSU.
Offense. Continue to push the ball. Without Scott in the mix, Richards, Carr, and Timmerman have to get the ball up the floor quickly, and stay out of the obvious trap situations. We can't afford the turnovers tonight, and we have to keep them back on their heals on D.
Tempo - Have to control it, period. We can't let EI dictate this one. Getting the ball up quick, doesn't mean we can't pull it out and work the offense. Forcing them to play D as deep into the clock as we can will favor us I believe, and it limits the scoring opportunities for them. This will be big too.
We need another gut check from Timmerman. We are a different team with her in the rotation, and it gives others a blow when need. And we need her experience, and scoring.
Horton. Will she be back? Who knows. We could certainly use her.
Ball control. Our guards did a nice job at BSU handling the ball, and looking for each other when the preasure was on. They're doing a great job of recognizing what the D is giving them. Richards and Carr did a nice job of reversing roles at BSU with Richards dishing the assist, and Carr looking to score. They need to pick up on what's availble, in short order tonight.
We did a great job, collectively, at the stripe. That needs to continue if we wan't to get out with a W tonight.
Biggest key of this contest is staying out of foul trouble. We are doing a nice job of that to this point, and MUST stay focused, slide our feet, and resist the reach in. Tonight's the night we have to give up the basket, rather then get the foul.
Good Luck tonight Lady Crusaders. Let's close out the year with a W!

Right on the money as usual!

valpo04

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 20, 2011, 09:00:06 PM
I had additional analysis that was deleted by valpo04.  Sorry everyone...it was good stuff, but we can't allow anything humorous or outside the box around here.

I did copy it and would be glad to share with anyone who is interested.

It was merged into this thread.  Another thread was unnecessary.  Scroll up.

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo04 on December 20, 2011, 09:03:11 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 20, 2011, 09:00:06 PM
I had additional analysis that was deleted by valpo04.  Sorry everyone...it was good stuff, but we can't allow anything humorous or outside the box around here.

I did copy it and would be glad to share with anyone who is interested.

It was merged into this thread.  Another separate thread was unnecessary.

My apologies...I did not see it.  I retract my statements.

Valpo04 is a standup guy who appreciates great analysis with a little touch of humor. 

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 20, 2011, 08:52:06 PM

Limited depth?  Hosting a strong 7-2 team?  Coming off an emotional win over a hated in-state rival?  None of that stood in the way of the Lady 'Saders tonight.  Lately, all they do is win, no matter what obstacles they must overcome. This team is gelling at just the right time---heading into Horizon League play.

Now, I know...haters gonna hate, and there will be the typical reactions to this thread---"This is NOT an NCAA tourney team," "It's just one win against a mediocre team," "They are still 4-7," "blah blah blah inferiority complex blah blah."  But if you think for one second that the coaches and players at UWGB are not taking note and starting to get a little concerned, then you are out in left field somewhere.  And for the at-large talk?  In my talks with several "in the know" (at least far more than I am) re: women's hoops, Eastern Illinois was getting some serious looks by the NCAA goon squad/selection committee as a potential mid-major at-large.  This win is meaningful for us, believe me.   

You won't find a team with more heart and grit. I can't believe a team could compete at this level with only 6 players. I don't know what's in the water at Valpo, but keep drinking it ladies! This is a bigger win then those, not in the know, could imagine. Every play, someone different is stepping up and picking up the slack. To hold a team that's averaging 77+ a night to 50, is a deciding factor. We did the same at ball state. Our defense has to be ranked. The naysaters can't keep chalking it up to a poor shooting night by the opponent. Wake up! There's a reason they're shooting poorly. Kudo's to Keith and his squad for putting a defense in place to help overcome our lack of depth and "O" right now.
Like it or not, these kids are for real. And believing they are, for them, only helps our cause!
Go Lady Crusaders! Have a great Holiday, relax, and enjoy the win! you certainly deserved it!

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on December 20, 2011, 08:53:43 PM
Great win by the Lady Crusaders! 53 - 50. Nice way to go into the break. I'm still amazed at how we continue to compete with 6 players. This will be a much needed rest for the team. I knew Timmerman being able to go would make a difference. Richards' defense was huge tonight. I don't know how Freeman is doing it, but he's doing it. My hat's off to him. Merry Christmas Lady Crusaders! Now go and relax, and enjoy family and friends!

C'mon, we know how he is doing it...he is a great coach who has finally got this team to HL level.

Speaking of this...has anyone ever seen Keith and Jack in the same place at the same time?  Given his fine knowledge of both women's hoops and the Lady 'Saders, I'm beginning to wonder if Jack IS Keith.  :lol: JKBWNSMAA! 

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 20, 2011, 09:08:06 PM
Quote from: jack on December 20, 2011, 08:53:43 PM

C'mon, we know how he is doing it...he is a great coach who has finally got this team to HL level.

Speaking of this...has anyone ever seen Keith and Jack in the same place at the same time?  Given his fine knowledge of both women's hoops and the Lady 'Saders, I'm beginning to wonder if Jack IS Keith.  :lol: JKBWNSMAA!
You're too funny! I suspect Keith is still chatting with his team right now. I'd be. You can't give these ladies enough credit for what they are accomplishing. There can't be another D1 school in the country competing this way with only 6 players. I'd have to say the coaching staff is earning their pay right now. What a key win, at a key time. They may not win their conference, but I'll bet their opponents won't see them as a "wounded duck" anymore!

IndyValpo

First off, a gutsy and deserved win. Secondly it would appear that the Ladd drama was a (perhaps the) problem on this team.  Thirdly, 03 you remain a little (a lot) over the top.  BSU is not a "hated" rival.  UWGB has given Valpo zero thought at this point and whoever you think is "in the know" are not. 

jack

Great point about Ladd. Proof that, it takes more then a great player, to be a winning team. Mallory was a very talented player. I think she lacked leadership, and the ability to motivate her team. Granted, she was a Freshman, and maybe took acception that she wasn't a starter, as she was her entire career. The squad now, seems to gel better, and have better chemistry without her - nothing against Ladd, but it takes more then being able to play the game to make a team. These ladies believe in one another, welcomed their freshmen with open arms, and seem to generally like one another. That in itself can turn L's into W's. You have to win for your teammates first, and yourself second. That seems to be the attitude now. And I, for one, am loving it.

Crusader03

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 20, 2011, 09:47:35 PM

First off, a gutsy and deserved win. Secondly it would appear that the Ladd drama was a (perhaps the) problem on this team.  Thirdly, 03 you remain a little (a lot) over the top.  BSU is not a "hated" rival.  UWGB has given Valpo zero thought at this point and whoever you think is "in the know" are not.

All you're doing is re-stating what I wrote a couple of weeks ago.  Maybe I know more than you think.

IndyValpo

FYI, Green Bay beat Ball State by 41 last night.

historyman

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 20, 2011, 10:28:26 PMAll you're doing is re-stating what I wrote a couple of weeks ago.  Maybe I know more than you think.

Maybe you know you post more than you think.