• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Wood - Workout with Bears

Started by VUAlum2012, April 16, 2013, 01:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUAlum2012

One of the most recent articles from The Northwest Indiana Times talked about Greg Wood and his workout with "Da Bears" -

What do you all think of his chances?

historyman

Quote from: VUAlum2012 on April 16, 2013, 01:35:24 PMOne of the most recent articles from The Northwest Indiana Times talked about Greg Wood and his workout with "Da Bears" - What do you all think of his chances?
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-10/sports/chi-source-chicago-bears-holding-tryout-for-kickers-20121210_1_tryout-punter-adam-podlesh-kickers

This was the Bears situation in December when Robbie Gould was injured.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

If Greg Wood gets on the Bears roster, it means they have zero confidence in Adam Podlesh, not lost confidence in Robbie Gould. Wood was a punter, not the placekicker/PAT-guy. Good luck to Greg! Heck, Derek Dimke, the kicker at Illinois for Ron Zook, just got signed by the Jets, so anything can happen.

historyman

Quote from: valporun on April 16, 2013, 03:55:44 PMIf Greg Wood gets on the Bears roster, it means they have zero confidence in Adam Podlesh, not lost confidence in Robbie Gould. Wood was a punter, not the placekicker/PAT-guy. Good luck to Greg! Heck, Derek Dimke, the kicker at Illinois for Ron Zook, just got signed by the Jets, so anything can happen.

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with the Bears that well. I remembered Gould and thought he had done the punting.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

I don't believe they can sign Greg just yet as he is a member of the current drafting class.  He'll have to get past teh draft and then sign as a free agent.

An observation about Greg from a game I was at and a number of videos I have seen:  He's got a bazooka for a leg.  His 50+ long jobs were legit.  The 70+ had a bit of a roll, but who's counting?  His inside the 20 punts have gotten better each year.  His yards/punt is admirable even with the inside the 20 shorties.  However, ...........

...................   He needs to eliminate the once-a-game shanks and develop greater consistency.  I can imagine how good his average would have been, but for those.  The one thing I was never able to do was put a watch on his hang time, but I think he'll do fine.

Good luck Greg!

Now we need to replace him on Brown Field for the next four years.

new2ff

He was able to craft his talent with the Crusaders & his 4 years :lol:

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 25, 2013, 02:44:36 PM
Quote from: new2ff on April 25, 2013, 02:40:50 PMHe was able to craft his talent with the Crusaders & his 4 years

Well...he certainly had plenty of practice.  :-[
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado