• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Remember E'Twaun in High School Playing Against Hummel from Valpo High?

Started by Just Sayin, January 30, 2022, 10:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Some notable Valpo high players who helped make VU such an exciting team to watch in the 90's and were also great players in high school:

Redmond
Cavanaugh
Drew
Schmidt

Did I miss any?

valpopal

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 30, 2022, 10:50:53 AM
Some notable Valpo high players who helped make VU such an exciting team to watch in the 90's and were also great players in high school:

Redmond
Cavanaugh
Drew
Schmidt

Did I miss any?

I would add Mike Jones, one of the best shooters ever at VHS and VU. He had 175 3-pointers for the Crusaders and shot about 50% from beyond the arc during his senior year in 1990. He totaled 1,378 points. Also, it is David Redmon (no d on the end). Finally, when E'Twaun played against Hummel at Valpo High, Robbie arguably wasn't the best player on the team. Hummel averaged 15.7 points and 7.1 rebounds his senior year while his classmate Scott Martin averaged 22.2 points and 9.1 rebounds that year. Martin went to Notre Dame. PS: The best overall athlete at VHS was most likely Tim Bishop, who played alongside Bryce and was a highly recruited star football player but chose to sign with the New York Mets to play baseball. One wonders what Tim might have accomplished if not for his untimely death.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on January 30, 2022, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 30, 2022, 10:50:53 AM

Redmond
Cavanaugh
Drew
Schmidt

Did I miss any?

I would add Mike Jones, one of the best shooters ever at VHS and VU. He had 175 3-pointers for the Crusaders and shot about 50% from beyond the arc during his senior year in 1990. He totaled 1,378 points. Also, it is David Redmon (no d on the end). Finally, when E'Twaun played against Hummel at Valpo High, Robbie arguably wasn't the best player on the team. Hummel averaged 15.7 points and 7.1 rebounds his senior year while his classmate Scott Martin averaged 22.2 points and 9.1 rebounds that year. Martin went to Notre Dame. PS: The best overall athlete at VHS was most likely Tim Bishop, who played alongside Bryce and was a highly recruited star football player but chose to sign with the New York Mets to play baseball. One wonders what Tim might have accomplished if not for his untimely death.

Thanks for the correction on Redmon. I forgot about Mike Jones.  I agree Bishop was an incredible athlete. He had an unbelievable vertical leap for his size.  I can remember Tim taking the triple-overtime?? shot to win against East Chicago at the sectional (or regional?), which was a very good team that year. That win allowed VHS to make it to the title game. Great memories.