• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

This is disturbing

Started by wh, July 10, 2023, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on July 10, 2023, 07:03:16 AM
Former NU football player details hazing allegations after coach suspension

Fitzgerald needs to go.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/07/08/top-stories/former-nu-football-player-details-hazing-allegations-after-coach-suspension/

It is incredibly disturbing. I know a few people close to Northwestern athletics and they have always spoke highly of Fitzgerald. But from what I have read, this is - at a minimum - a gross lack of institutional control...which is reason for dismissal. It's criminal if there was knowledge of what was going on, but nothing was done.

wh

VULB#62

Ya knew that this would be the result. Once the dam cracks the deluge follows.

As an aside, SEAL training is essentially weeks of intense hazing (i.e., tough psychological stressors coupled with incredible physical challenges).  But military preparedness is a different animal and candidates have the right to ring the bell and leave.  Sexual demeaning and humiliation, as far as I know, has no place in that training. 

Fitzgerald said he had 'no knowledge' of these incidents. They weren't incidents. They were woven into the culture he demanded ( but he was careful not to be told the details to allow for plausible deniability). It's one thing to have to do extra sprints or pushups for screwing up in practice; it's another to ritualize degrading off the practice field. Glad he's gone. This is a dismissal for cause. I sincerely hope he does not get a golden parachute on his way out the door.

VU75

A week ago he had the most secure coaching job in college football.

valpotx

I was in a lot of locker rooms throughout my sports career, and I never got the guys that did weird crap to other guys.  There is absolutely no way that I would just pretend that such things weren't happening.  Absolutely disgusting that these 'alpha males' always seem to think that this type of behavior is acceptable, and that they don't feel that it is closeted behavior on their part. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Coming to a university near you:

Virginia swimmers unite, speak out after biological male pulls Lia Thomas, tries to join team

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/virginia-swimmers-unite-biological-male-lia-thomas-team

Just a matter of time.

KreitzerSTL

Sexual assault is not the same thing as a trans person existing, wh. Peddle this nonsense somewhere else.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on October 05, 2023, 11:18:10 PM
Coming to a university near you:

Virginia swimmers unite, speak out after biological male pulls Lia Thomas, tries to join team
In a related note, pleased to see Valpo celebrates "Girls and Women in Sport" this weekend.
[tweet]1710058811120103893[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: KreitzerSTL on October 06, 2023, 07:17:53 AM
Sexual assault is not the same thing as a trans person existing, wh. Peddle this nonsense somewhere else.

You either can't read, or more likely you're trying to create a new narrative. The article makes no reference whatsoever to sexual assault. It is exclusively about the destructive effect of biological males competing in women's sports. If this trend is allowed to continue, it will destroy women's sports.

I pity people who have gender identity disorder. I'm sure it's hell on earth to deal with for them and their families. It's no different in that respect to schizophrenia or any other serious mental disorder. That doesn't mean they should be allowed to destroy the very essence of girl's sports so they can feel better about themselves. If you can't see that, then you're the one who can peddle your nonsense elsewhere.

KreitzerSTL

Quote from: wh on October 06, 2023, 01:16:39 PM
You either can't read, or more likely you're trying to create a new narrative.

You took a thread about hazing and hijacked it with an article about trans athletes. You changed the narrative, not me.

wh

Quote from: KreitzerSTL on October 06, 2023, 08:24:59 PM
Quote from: wh on October 06, 2023, 01:16:39 PM
You either can't read, or more likely you're trying to create a new narrative.

You took a thread about hazing and hijacked it with an article about trans athletes. You changed the narrative, not me.

Let's see if I understand. I used the thread that I started and titled "This is disturbing" to post a second sports-related news story that I found disturbing, thereby hijacking my own thread in the process. Is that correct?  ;)

SG

Things will get crazy. Free college loop hole.