• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Arts & Sciences building

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 10, 2011, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Love it so far.  I made my only pilgrimage to the campus in XX (many) years, but didn't get a change to really see this.

Great thing to show prospective athletes.  Hope that's part of the visitation tour.

agibson

By now the building should be partially occupied, by the former occupants of Meier Hall (e.g. foreign language, economics).

VULB#62

Darn.  Don'tcha think that with all these millions, they could find a few bucks to finish the dang track and spruce up the Brown Field stands and press box.  :'(

valporun

The donor obviously wanted the money to go towards academics, not athletics. If someone wins the big Mega Millions pot on Tuesday night, something like $356 million, hopefully a Valpo grad, they'll donate a couple million for the track to be finished.

okinawatyphoon

this building was not built with donations, from what I've heard. I think it was built with the sale of a bond or something.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

agibson

I don't think any bonds were issued, but it's possible a loan was taken.  i.e. that the money wasn't raised in advance, but that it has a mortgage that'll be paid from future fundraising, the general fund, etc.

okinawatyphoon

another great shot from the VU Flickr page.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on March 24, 2012, 03:18:40 PM
I don't think any bonds were issued, but it's possible a loan was taken.  i.e. that the money wasn't raised in advance, but that it has a mortgage that'll be paid from future fundraising, the general fund, etc.

If that's the case, man, I sure wish they'd do the same for Brown Field, the track, the stands, and press box, landscaping, etc.  My thought is that "if you build it (and tell the alumni that a debt has been incurred) they will donate."  I know I would if the program was restricted and focused.

valpotx

It looked pretty complete when I was on campus last month, and was very impressive.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Has ground been broken for the Welcome Center? Last time I spoke with someone in Admissions they were still picking an architect and reviewing proposals.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: vu72 on March 27, 2012, 12:13:19 PM
Has ground been broken for the Welcome Center? Last time I spoke with someone in Admissions they were still picking an architect and reviewing proposals.

The groundbreaking ceremony is scheduled for April 28. Whether or not we'll see some work done before then, I'm not sure.

valpopal

Here is a recent photo I took at sunset of the A&S building from the perspective of Christ College:

okinawatyphoon

Excellent photo. I was wondering how the building looked from that angle. is there still a parking lot between CC and the new building or is it all grass now?

valpopal

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 10, 2012, 02:45:53 PM
Excellent photo. I was wondering how the building looked from that angle. is there still a parking lot between CC and the new building or is it all grass now?

The parking lot is still there.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on June 10, 2012, 12:46:57 PM
Here is a recent photo I took at sunset of the A&S building from the perspective of Christ College:

Ooh - great photo!  And a new angle for me, too.  I didn't realize it had a bottom-floor entrance.

I'm curious, how did you handle the colors in the photo?  Was there post-production work?  It looks a little like these "Take three photos with different filters/masks, and combine them in post production" deals that my brother-in-law is into.  I forget the name of the technique.

Anyhow, very pretty.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on June 13, 2012, 09:55:37 PM
Quote from: valpopal on June 10, 2012, 12:46:57 PM

Ooh - great photo!  And a new angle for me, too.  I didn't realize it had a bottom-floor entrance.

I'm curious, how did you handle the colors in the photo?  Was there post-production work?  It looks a little like these "Take three photos with different filters/masks, and combine them in post production" deals that my brother-in-law is into.  I forget the name of the technique.

Anyhow, very pretty.

The bottom-floor entrance is convenient for those who park in the lot between the A&S building and Christ College.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'm into photography and the image is an HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo, which is what you seem to be describing as the type of pictures your brother-in-law also does.

okinawatyphoon

Thought I would post some photos of the new building I took during the summer. It's a great addition to campus!