• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2015

Started by valpopal, February 04, 2015, 09:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Despite the 20 inches of snow, a sign that spring is on the way to Valparaiso! The softball team begins play this weekend in Georgia at the Mercer Invitational with games scheduled Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Therefore, I thought I'd begin this thread for the season and mention that College Sports Madness has just recognized four Crusaders as preseason all-conference picks [McShane & Ranieri as 1st team; Lawson & Weissenhofer as 2nd team] with Kaitlyn Ranieri also named as a preseason selection for Player of the Year.

[tweet]562990934288506881[/tweet]

valporun

I don't see any audio from the first game of the season, but in the bottom of the 5th, the Lady Crusaders are leading 3-2 over Jacksonville St. JSU jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second, and then the Crusaders countered with a couple of runs in the bottom of the 3rd. Lead-off hitter Calombaris scored on a Raneiri single up the middle, and then Lawson scored on a McShane flyout. Our third run scored on a Calombaris single in the bottom of the 4th. Calombaris and Moreno are our hitters so far, both having 2 hits. Weissenhofer pitched the first 3 innings, giving up 2 hits, 2 runs (both earned), and had 4 walks and 4 strikeouts.

Can't go much further on how things have been because the live stats aren't giving me who replaced Taylor on the mound, or anything pertinent in the pbp about it either. Looks good to start for the ladies and Coach Stake.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on February 06, 2015, 01:58:29 PMI don't see any audio from the first game of the season, but in the bottom of the 5th, the Lady Crusaders are leading 3-2 over Jacksonville St. JSU jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second,
Unfortunately we gave up 2 runs in the top of the 7th and lost 5-4. I tuned in (webbed-in?) just in time to see Jax St score their 2 runs. Four walks by Taylor W did us in. I figured since I saw the women's bb team win I was good luck. I guess not. :-(

http://mercerbears.com/sports/sball/tournament/boxscores/20150206_gfmn.xml

valporun

The softball team did lose, and the game ended on Sam Stewart's double play to 2nd. I wish I could have watched this to see how well-played it was, but from the stats, we played well. Taylor threw 138 pitches before coming out of the game. I'm guessing to get a little rest before the 5:45 game against the host Mercer Bears. I'm just glad to see that we didn't let JSU's early lead get away from us. I hope the same playing for Game #2, but with the W going to the Lady Crusaders. Good luck in Game 2.

valpopal

[tweet]564110757118226434[/tweet]

valporun

Softball split their games yesterday. With the 10-2 run rule of IPFW, they won Coach Stakes's first NCAA game, and then played Mercer again, only this time to a 5-4 loss. Currently, the team holds a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 3rd against IPFW. Live stats are available thru the link on valpoathletics.com.

valpotx

It's interesting to note that Pico is apparently just playing in the field/hitting this year.  I don't believe that she has many ABs in her career, as she was one of our main pitchers.  I guess that these other pitchers just did better in the offseason since Coach Stake arrived?  I know that our FR pitcher was first team all-state in IN, so maybe that has to do with it.

We are now up 5-0 in the 4th.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Within moments, the softball team ups their lead to 5-0 in the bottom of the 4th now. Good to see we culd come out with a couple of wins from this tournament.

valporun

I did notice that Pico is playing 3rd this season. I wondered if maybe that was meant as a way to keep our #2 pitcher warmed up for the game she would pitch, or if she was transitioning to a new position altogether. 6-0 in the top of the 5th now.

vusb1

Pretty impressive offensive numbers so far for the Crusaders. And 3 players earning Conference player of the week through 2 tournaments is outstanding! Taylor Lawson was the College Sports Madness Horizon League POW week one and Calombaris wins POW last weekend from the conference while McShane won POW from College Sports Madness! Lots of offense with the team batting .361 collectively and scoring just under 6 runs per contest. Unfortunately it hasn't turned into wins with the team only 3-6 to date. Lets hope that changes in Colorado.

VULB#62

Flew through Denver on Monday.  Lots of snow on the ground.  But in CO it melts the next day, right?

BTW, I like the spread of opponents out there.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 27, 2015, 05:04:02 PM
Flew through Denver on Monday.  Lots of snow on the ground.  But in CO it melts the next day, right?

BTW, I like the spread of opponents out there.
More snow arrived after Monday.  Chance of snow the next several days.  Sunny and 41 on Thursday and 48 on Friday should feel warmer than 55 in Valpo!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-105.09476&lat=40.60020#.VPD6_TYcSUk

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on February 08, 2015, 12:21:57 PMI did notice that Pico is playing 3rd this season.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-valparaiso-notes-st-0302-20150228-story.html

This explains why--pretty brilliant (obvious) coaching move!  Money quote:  "They're softball players." : )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vusb1

Nice to have Pico's bat in the line up. But Pico needs to pitch. Opposing teams are batting .390 against us. They need her experience on the mound.

valporun

I get your opinion on Pico pitching, but we don't get a chance to be outside for practice for several months. We don't get a chance to pitch in the elements, field on soft dirt or grass, or even swing a bat in the cold to know how to handle being jammed by a fastball on cold aluminum. Experience on the mound in our case doesn't do a whole lot to prove anything when we're not able to be outside to adapt to the elements until a month or more after the season is underway, and then we still have to deal with rain and other weather patterns that hinder getting outside to practice. Baseball has the same issues with weather and getting outside, so there is nothing about experience that helps us besides just getting games in.

vusb1

I agree that we are at a disadvantage with not being able to get outside when we play in the south. I just think we need help in the circle. We seem to be doing well at the plate and those results should turn into wins. I think our pitching will get better,  but I think we could use the help of another pitcher that has enjoyed success in the circle for the last 2 seasons. The more looks you can give hitters the better off you are.

valporun

Who else do we have to play 3rd, if Pico is pitching? Also, we haven't played enough games have shown us what Coach Stake is made of. Remember, this is her first head coaching position, so she has some learning to do, and I'm not worried about wins and losses this season, just getting players to their potential, and seeing how Coach Stake manages games, not how we want her to, but how she will.

vusb1

Pico can play 3rd when she is not in the circle. A lot of teams use pitchers in the field when they aren't pitching. And I would imagine that the team feels different about winning this season. Not questioning coaches decisions. Just saying her absence in the circle seems odd after pitching for 2 years.

valporun

That still doesn't answer the question of who will play 3B when Pico is in the circle?

vusb1

Stewart, Calombaris, McShane, Boyle. You can't be saying Pico is the only one on the team that can play 3rd.

valporun

I'm not saying she is the only one who can play 3rd, but if you want her to pitch, someone has to play 3rd in her place.

valpotx

What in the world has happened to Taylor's pitching ability?  She was electric her FR year, was OK last year, and is walking too many batters this year and getting hit.  Can we blame this on a boyfriend she obtained after FR year? :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

New pitching coach taking away something from her repertoire?

vusb1

What pitching coach? We don't have one.

vusb1

Looks like our girls and Wright State are the only ones willing to brave the elements this weekend. All other Horizon League softball contest have been postponed. Let's hope our cold weather experience's this spring pay dividends this weekend!