• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Track 2015

Started by VULB#62, April 13, 2015, 10:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Jeremy Getz threw the javelin a new era best of 212-9 at the Tennessee Relays this past weekend. Hate seeing my record get pushed a bit further down the list, but hey that was 48 years ago so I should let go (or not)  ;). He had been throwing in the 160's until this southern trip. I was waiting for him to break out and was wondering why he was not even coming close to his previous bests. He placed 8th in a tough field. The winner threw 275-11  -- almost the length of a football field. Great for Jeremy to see and compete against national level competition.  The new javelin coach is having an impact.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 13, 2015, 10:47:09 AM
Jeremy Getz threw the javelin a new era best of 212-9 at the Tennessee Relays this past weekend. Hate seeing my record get pushed a bit further down the list, but hey that was 48 years ago so I should let go (or not)  ;). He had been throwing in the 160's until this southern trip. I was waiting for him to break out and was wondering why he was not even coming close to his previous bests. He placed 8th in a tough field. The winner threw 275-11  -- almost the length of a football field. Great for Jeremy to see and compete against national level competition.  The new javelin coach is having an impact.

So what is this "new era" stuff?  Was the javelin a different length or weight or some such thing?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

They added more weight and probably fooled a little with the aerodynamics.  Throwers up through the 8o's I think were throwing well over 300' and stadiums couldn't accommodate that.  Ergo make it harder to throw.

From Wiki:

Javelin redesigns

On 1 April 1986, the men's javelin (800 grams (1.76 lb)) was redesigned by the governing body (the IAAF Technical Committee). They decided to change the rules for javelin construction because of the increasingly frequent flat landings and the resulting discussions and protests when these attempts were declared valid or invalid by competition judges. The world record had also crept up to a potentially dangerous level, 104.80 m (343.8 ft) by Uwe Hohn. With throws exceeding 100 meters, it was becoming difficult to safely stage the competition within the confines of a stadium infield. The javelin was redesigned so that the centre of gravity was moved 4 cm (1.6 in) forward, while the surface areas in front of and behind the centre of gravity were reduced and increased, respectively. This had the effect of reducing lift and increasing the downward pitching moment. This brings the nose down earlier, reducing the flight distance by around 10% but also causing the javelin to stick in the ground more consistently

If you extrapolate Jeremy's throw by the 10% factor, his 212 would maybe go to ~233 with the old stick.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 13, 2015, 03:15:07 PM
They added more weight and probably fooled a little with the aerodynamics.  Throwers up through the 8o's I think were throwing well over 300' and stadiums couldn't accommodate that.  Ergo make it harder to throw.

From Wiki:

Javelin redesigns

On 1 April 1986, the men's javelin (800 grams (1.76 lb)) was redesigned by the governing body (the IAAF Technical Committee). They decided to change the rules for javelin construction because of the increasingly frequent flat landings and the resulting discussions and protests when these attempts were declared valid or invalid by competition judges. The world record had also crept up to a potentially dangerous level, 104.80 m (343.8 ft) by Uwe Hohn. With throws exceeding 100 meters, it was becoming difficult to safely stage the competition within the confines of a stadium infield. The javelin was redesigned so that the centre of gravity was moved 4 cm (1.6 in) forward, while the surface areas in front of and behind the centre of gravity were reduced and increased, respectively. This had the effect of reducing lift and increasing the downward pitching moment. This brings the nose down earlier, reducing the flight distance by around 10% but also causing the javelin to stick in the ground more consistently

If you extrapolate Jeremy's throw by the 10% factor, his 212 would maybe go to ~233 with the old stick.

So this means your school record was accomplished during the dark ages of javelin throwing correct?   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

CORRECT. 49 years ago to be really exact.  My dark ages record stood for 10 years until 1976 -- the new record by Jim Maryanski is still the all-time dark ages mark.  Getz's 208' and 212' throws in 2013 and this season would surpass both of us old timers (if you add 10% for the design change).  I'm just happy our dark age records lasted almost 1/2 a century and that I was the first over 200 and Jim got it out even further -- but it still took 10 years   :lol:.

valpotx

Good luck on hosting our first Crusader Open!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

It's 4:00 Saturday with one more day to go and look where our respective Track & Field squads are sitting at the HL outdoor championships. Can't say the new track is responsible for that -- this is only it's first season of use.  Regardless of where they finish (depth is an issue so relays will not be a help) these two programs have made definite "strides"   ;)  towards improvement.  :thumbsup:

Men's Team Scores
1   Youngstown St.   40
2   Valparaiso   39
3   Wis.-Milwaukee   36
4   Detroit   20
5   Illinois-Chicago   18
6   Oakland   1

Women's Team Scores
1   Youngstown St.   65
2   Valparaiso   41
3   Detroit   36
4   Wright State   32
5   Wis.-Milwaukee   26
6   Oakland   15
7   Illinois-Chicago   2

VULB#62

At the end of the day both the men and women are still in second place. YSU is extending their lead, but Valpo is maintaining a lead over the others. Both hammer throws and men's pole vault are on Sunday and that's 10 points for VUW and 20 for VUM. 

valpotx

It seems that we have some really good 'Field' athletes, so hopefully our 'Track' athletes keep the success going!
"Don't mess with Texas"

momofalex

We attended  the meet on Saturday and were commenting the same thing on our drive back to Ohio.  Valpo is strong in the jumps and throws, and now with a track to draw the runners, the future looks good for Valpo Track.   Some info on Mens pole vault - Justin Zozzo won, qualifying for regionals with a new PR and school record of 16' 3".  Our son Alex placed 2nd clearing 15' 1", and a big thumbs up to Nick Stack who placed 6th, but did it clearing 14' with a hamstring injury that limited him to only taking 8 steps for his approach.  To compare, Justin takes 14 and Alex takes 16.

VULB#62

valpotx

Great to see these programs on the upswing!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crew-Sader

It seems like things may have gotten tougher in trying to improve the running events. I spoke with one of the athletes today, sounds like the sprints coach isn't returning for next year. She told me that the sprints coach is always a GA and basically rotates every two years. How do you expect to improve when you have a new coach every 2 years, if not sooner? I doubt a brand new track will fix that.

valporun

The sprint coach being a GA could change, now that we have a track. Coach Moore could advocate for having a sprint coach that isn't also a student, now that we have a track. Before, Valpo would have been a good training ground for a young coach, but with the track, and the change in attitude about Valpo track, a permanent sprint coach will be added soon enough.

VU2624

I've heard that Patrick attempted to turn his position into a permanent (paid) position but was rebuffed. Whether that's because the position will remain as it has and be a new GA or it wasn't a match for what they'd be looking for, is unknown.

valporun

Might be too early to discuss coaching matters for adding permanent positions, but if not this season, then soon enough. It may take some time before money can be set for having a couple full-time track coaches under Coach Moore.

wh

The 2015 USATF Indiana Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships are being held at the track yesterday and today.  There are track clubs there from Indy, Ft. wayne, Merrillville, etc.  It's pretty cool to see the ARC parking lot full of cars and canopy tents, people in the stands, etc. 

http://www.indiana.usatf.org/Events/2015/2015-USATF-Indiana-Junior-Olympic-Track---Fiel-.aspx

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on June 20, 2015, 04:46:02 PM
The 2015 USATF Indiana Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships are being held at the track yesterday and today.  There are track clubs there from Indy, Ft. wayne, Merrillville, etc.  It's pretty cool to see the ARC parking lot full of cars and canopy tents, people in the stands, etc. 

http://www.indiana.usatf.org/Events/2015/2015-USATF-Indiana-Junior-Olympic-Track---Fiel-.aspx

This is a huge recruiting tool.  Track clubs, like soccer clubs and AAU basketball concentrate talent in elite competitive environments.. To have the next level of track and field athletes exposed to our facility is super. Hopefully the T&F coaching staff has the capability to leverage that exposure.

valporun

See...this is what I was talking about way back when we were discussing what good a track at Brown Field would do. It's already reaching that depth of exposing future track athletes to a college track, and just how cool it is to run on a college track over a high school track. This will be a great moneymaker for the track program and the university.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on June 20, 2015, 10:49:49 PM
See...this is what I was talking about way back when we were discussing what good a track at Brown Field would do. It's already reaching that depth of exposing future track athletes to a college track, and just how cool it is to run on a college track over a high school track. This will be a great moneymaker for the track program and the university.

To follow up on what run said, I found this today in a story about a 14 year old in Valpo who will be competing nationally in the high jump:

Anderson had to go through state and regional qualifiers to be entered in both events, including taking the gold medal in a competition at Valparaiso University.

I think this is really good news and will certainly add to the possibility of attracting new and better athletes to Valpo.