• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

College Sports Madness Previews - Valpo at #131

Started by zvillehaze, July 23, 2011, 09:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

I know nothing about this website, but it looks like a pretty objective analysis.  http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/691

With Valpo at #5 in the Horizon, I would guess that UDM, UWM, Butler and CSU will be the other 4 teams (not necessarily in that order).

agibson

A thoroughly decent write-up.  I wonder who this Welser guy is?

I'd forgotten that Bogan has two years of eligibility left.  Hurrah!

vu72

What the writer seems to forget is that Richie Edwards will play the 4 and Ryan can then play his natural position at the 3.  Edwards has all kinds of experience and at 6'8" will give us added help up front.  He also does not give Matt Kenney enough praise as he may be only 6'3" but is the best jumper on the team and is built like a fullback.  He will easily fill the Howard Little role.

With any help from Vuc or Fernandez we will be fine and all the combo possibilities and great depth will give Bryce plenty of options.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofan56

Quote from: vu72 on July 24, 2011, 07:27:02 AM
What the writer seems to forget is that Richie Edwards will play the 4 and Ryan can then play his natural position at the 3.

The writer definitely did not forget that. Per the article:

Projected starting five:
Erik Buggs, Junior, Guard, 2.8 points per game
Will Bogan, Junior, Guard, DNP last season
Ryan Broekhoff, Junior, Guard, 10.3 points per game
Richie Edwards, Junior, Forward, DNP last season
Kevin Van Wijk, Junior, Forward, 5.1 points per game

dylanrocks

Greetings, gentlemen. It's been far too long. Hope you're all having a wonderful summer.

Here's Joel Welser's prediction for Valpo's Horizon League and national standing.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/691

sectionee

This was posted somewhere else on here as well...Top half of the league seems about right at this point in time.  Welcome back!

wh

Good article, but I disagree with Erik Buggs as starting PG.  Jay Harris made good progress last year.  With his considerable offensive skills, I'm guessing that he will pass up Erik Buggs and start at PG from day-1.  Another year of teams leaving Erik completely unguarded and then intentionally fouling him with as early as 5 minutes to go is a formula for disaster.  He is going to be a 4th year collegiate player.  Logic doesn't support that he is is going to be able to recreate himself at this point from a bad jump shooter and even worse free throw shooter to a respectable offensive player.  Jay has the potential to be a big time scorer in the HL.  He needs to be on the court as much as possible and I'm guessing that's how Bryce will see it.

rlh

Jay is more of a two than a point.....I'm guessing Buggs will start the years as the starter....if he doesn't improve offensively, there may be a change later, but I doubt Jay will be the starter at the beginning of the year.....I think the starters to start the year will be Broekhoff, Van Wijk, Edwards, Harris and Buggs....I expect some of the new guys will push for time early on....but I think that's the way we'll start the year.

chef

Outside of Ryan Broekhoff, the starting lineup is completely up for grabs. If I was a betting man, I'd make Matt Kenney the most likely to start among the remaining players.

sectionee

If Kenney had shown any kind of 3 point shot last year I would have him in the starting lineup as well.  But I tend to agree with rlh that the lineup to start the year is probably what he has listed.  I think Bogan will take over for Buggs if he hasn't improved offensively.