• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Cost of Attendance

Started by vu72, June 08, 2017, 03:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 04, 2019, 02:26:39 PM
Not sure where you are going, but if you are blasting USC, your one liners are a month late. Alums at USC, including myself, are pissed off about the situation, but all schools have faults including Valpo. USC, similar to Valpo, also has a lot of positive aspects. 

Reference was to Javon changing his mind about attending Valpo--starting a trend. No reference to USC at all. But lets face it for USC there are some there that have operated that way for many, many years. It's evident that it's a very sore point for you.

usc4valpo

USC generally focuses too much on the quest for the almighty dollar.  They also do much for the LA community and has great cultural diversity.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 27, 2019, 06:30:27 PMMy daughter and I made a campus visit, and the campus and leadership was great. however, I just found out cost per year is $57k. Yikes. She wants to major in education, so we are thinking the state school route will be the way to go.
Come on man. You attended the school, took a visit and then found out what the cost was?

The question "Why Valpo?" is the important one.

usc4valpo

We went because my daughter was interested in a program and very likely trying to make me happy. After looking at financial aid and the program, it was not a good fit. Valpo is great, it is not for everybody.

usc4valpo

Well, my daughter is going to Northwest Missouri State to major in early childhood education, similar to my wife and generations of my family. I think it was wise decision and I am very proud for her. Their education staff seemed well engaged and the campus is not too big - around 6000. She is also going to be in color guard for the Bearcat marching band.

So now I need to convince my younger daughter, but she is looking at Rice, Stanford and Vanderbilt. I am going to be so fricking broke....

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 01, 2020, 09:49:51 AMSo now I need to convince my younger daughter, but she is looking at Rice, Stanford and Vanderbilt. I am going to be so fricking broke....

I am sure there are a bunch of us on the forum that can relate to your situation.  I know that I can  :(  Youngest of 3 graduated 2 years ago. That is the last I am paying for any education.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

My younger daughter is very ambitious. She fell in love with Rice - whether she gets in or not is another story.

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 02, 2020, 10:18:21 AM
My younger daughter is very ambitious. She fell in love with Rice - whether she gets in or not is another story.
Yes, that is both ambitious, impressive and expensive! My kids all went to private schools with Wake Forest and George Washington being the worst of the bunch expense-wise. Had a similar experience with my middle daughter. Campus visit to Valpo we had to walk backwards in a wind driven 12" lake snow event and then on our visit to Wake Forest the Magnolia's were in bloom, quite the contrast with Wake Forest winning hands down. Can't say I blame her, she could have gone just about anywhere she wanted.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show