• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vu72

Quote from: bb33 on April 08, 2021, 09:07:16 AMThe ARC and other facilities does hold us back.

I think this  is way overblown.  18 and 19 year kids don't wonder what it would be like is the fans had softer seats or more urinals.  They want good food and air-conditioning for practice--plus coaches they can relate to and care about them. Our practice facility is first class and we have also added improved nutrition.  Does anybody really think that if the ARC had more of a bowl setting and better concessions that any of the guys who transferred would still be on the team?  Likewise, why would anybody coming from a Power 5 conference ever transfer to Valpo if it had anything to do with the ARC?  I discussed this once with Brandon Wood and he confirmed that facilities have little to do with their individual decisions. 

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on April 08, 2021, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: bb33 on April 08, 2021, 09:07:16 AMThe ARC and other facilities does hold us back.
I think this  is way overblown.  18 and 19 year kids don't wonder what it would be like is the fans had softer seats or more urinals.  They want good food and air-conditioning for practice--plus coaches they can relate to and care about them. Our practice facility is first class and we have also added improved nutrition.  Does anybody really think that if the ARC had more of a bowl setting and better concessions that any of the guys who transferred would still be on the team?  Likewise, why would anybody coming from a Power 5 conference ever transfer to Valpo if it had anything to do with the ARC?  I discussed this once with Brandon Wood and he confirmed that facilities have little to do with their individual decisions.
I 100% think that the appearance of the arena they play in plays a factor in their decision. It may not be the #1 factor, but it certainly is in their mind. You don't think a football recruit comes to Valpo, looks at the field and says "This is D1??? My high school stadium was better than this..." Same for basketball. You walk in the ARC and you don't get that Wow factor. It looks like a nice high school gym. Now when its packed, its a great atmosphere don't get me wrong. But most recruits wont see that. It also shows some level of the commitment the university has towards the program.

Also, I don't think our practice facility is first class. I think it is acceptable and the updates made were to keep it from becoming unacceptable.

As for a Power 5 transfer coming to Valpo. Those are guys typically that just want to play. The facilities are further down on their decision list. but an 18 year old 3 star high school senior that is getting looks from high mid majors will look at Valpo vs some of our peers and yes, the glitz and glamour of some vs the ARC will play a role in that decision.

I've said it before. The ARC doesn't need to be gutted completely, just like the practice facility, make it so its acceptable vs unacceptable. Turn the lower level into a bowl and chair backs throughout. It wouldn't be that expensive.

Just Sayin

valpopal

valpotx

Interesting.  Good for him in getting a 6th year to play more minutes, akin to what he did at GB in his FR season of 2016-2017.  He is familiar with our program/past, and though he had a bad game against us, seems to be pretty solid.  He must have been injured for the second game.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2016-17/5941/green-bay-vs-valpo-01-16-2017/
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2016-17/5946/valpo-vs-green-bay-02-04-2017/
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4067425/trevor-anderson
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Look at Peters numbers for that game. Wow. 

Plus our largest lead was 32. 

vu84v2

On the video on Trevor Anderson...

-He seems like a nice transfer for Valpo to get.
-It would be really nice if his teammate (#10) decided to join him at Valpo (one can dream).
-The Stevens Point fans look pretty hohum cheering on a team with three future major conference D1 players.

wh

wh to Trevor: We need a guard who can score the basketball. You shot over 50% from both 2 and 3 last year but didn't shoot that much. You were born to score. Shoot the freaking ball!! We will win a lot of games, the fans will embrace you, and you will use Valpo's great European connections to go on to the next level. Welcome and best of luck!

VUGrad1314

This is good transfer news. He's a solid player who should do well at the MVC level. Better yet he probably only has one more year of eligibility so there's no risk of losing him. Maybe this is how we're going to have to play the transfer game from now on. He should definitely be an upgrade over our point guards last year.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 08, 2021, 04:24:52 PM
This is good transfer news. He's a solid player who should do well at the MVC level. Better yet he probably only has one more year of eligibility so there's no risk of losing him. Maybe this is how we're going to have to play the transfer game from now on. He should definitely be an upgrade over our point guards last year.

247 had him a three star #5 point guard in Wisconsin coming out of high school.  He is from the same high school as Leah Ernest.  I presume the thinking is for him to help teach the freshman about college ball so they are ready for the transfer portal.  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Good get.

Would like to see a PF/C, as we are thin at that position. No room for injury/sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

Quote from: covufan on April 08, 2021, 05:33:43 PM
Good get.

Would like to see a PF/C, as we are thin at that position. No room for injury/sickness.

Screw that!  Let's concentrate on 3-pt shooters, and bring back the Bo Kimble Loyola Marymount days!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: vu72 on April 08, 2021, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 08, 2021, 04:24:52 PM

247 had him a three star #5 point guard in Wisconsin coming out of high school. He is from the same high school as Leah Ernest.  I presume the thinking is for him to help teach the freshman about college ball so they are ready for the transfer portal.  :(

I could be thinking of someone else, but wasn't he a Mr. Basketball or some equivalent? I remember everyone thinking he was a great pick up for GB.

Edit: Never mind, I just answered my own question. According to Wikipedia he was Co-Mr. Basketball in 2016 with teammate Sam Hauser.

RS

Yes a good transfer who can shoot the 3 ball. With how things went in the tournament the importance of 3 point shooting was a key to many victories. Yes we still need a power forward / center.  we had one that could shoot lights out from 3. With 3 Wisconsin natives now on the roster does anyone think JO will change his mind. He certainly would have a major role in the team.

valpo64

Would love to see JO back just like the Indiana players who returned after entering the transfer portal. That sure would make for a fun season next year.

IndyValpo

Quote from: covufan on April 08, 2021, 05:33:43 PM
Good get.

There are over 300 guys 6-8 or taller in the portal. Let's hope we can find one guy with size.

AB

If nothing else, the makeover on the team this year keeps things fresh for the public address announcer. Hope he doesn't slip up. Hah!  Since we are a Wisconsin heavy roster do we need to change the school name in addition to the mascot?

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on April 08, 2021, 08:57:57 PM
Would love to see JO back just like the Indiana players who returned after entering the transfer portal. That sure would make for a fun season next year.

Never say never, but doesn't sound likely. There seems to be some bitterness surrounding the transfer from JOs side.

VUGrad1314

I wonder what Lottich did to screw that up. JO felt like a Valpo recruit through and through.

valpotx

It would be great to have JO back, though very unlikely, if for nothing else than to annoy the crap out of our conference mates, as they hate it when Todd says 'Sheboygan Sharpshooter.' 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Maybe Scott Drew/Jared Nuness or Roger Powell can put in a good word for us with these recent transfer portal big men?  :)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4277885/tristan-clark
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431731/pavel-zakharov

Tristan was 3.7 star, while Pavel was a 4 star.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

05, I was throwing out something that came to me (I'm an idea guy -- tuna, mayo in some container) and clearly thinking more about players moving up, but you're and humble's comments and condition does balance it out -- if the other school refuses the invite for the game, or makes it impossible to schedule, then the "transfer fee" is waived.  The idea was to compensate the mid-majors for the development work and to improve scheduling for those schools, but it would work the other way. The big schools can also just say thanks for the player and here's your check (somewhat like a waiver wire claim in MLB or when MLB teams sign Japanese baseball league players). Also, if we're going to cover more situations, then grad transfers would be exempt from the "transfer fee." 

BTW, academic research article on transfers my son sent to me yesterday -- http://csri-jiia.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/RA_2021_09.pdf
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vuny98

We are at 13 scholarships for next year now. Are we done or do we get two extra from Zion and Eron staying on board? And if we do have 2 extra, is that something we think the team is planning to use?

RS

Good question about whether we are done. Considering the state of VU's athletic fund i would find it difficult to have the extra scholarships made available. Has there actually been any word on whether Zion is staying for another year. With 3 new point guards coming into the program would there be a need to have four although Zion could definitely play the 2 or 3 spot.