• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men’s Soccer 2019

Started by VULB#62, October 31, 2019, 11:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

Yep.

There's no way this wasn't a board decision. The arms race to keep up with resources was never gonna come out in Valpo's favor.  We need donors dedicated to athletics if we could ever compete. We either can have less teams that can have parity or we can have more and always be last in funding and support. and unfortunately for the other sports, unlike basketball and football there are way less outside ways to help increase you budget and funding through buy games.

VUfan

As  a Member of the Soccer Club in the late 1960's and early 70s I feel sadness for the university this is a loss.  It seems the soccer program had grown and added much to the education of many students at a vary low cost .The real mission  of sports  in Valpo is to enrich  the Educational process .   :( :(

crusader05

It's not the same as a division one team but I'd love to see some of the resources go towards maybe establishing a strong Soccer Club that can still provide a rewarding experience to students, much like the Ultimate Frisbee team has provided.

valpo64

I can't believe some of these posted comments.  I guess some people are just short-sighted, uninformed to be sure, and not aware of long term goals and plans of the University, and neither am I.  In the over all scheme of  things I think these moves were necessary.  I do feel badly for the student athletes and coaches.  One certainly can not question their dedication to their respective programs.  Perhaps, I should say I hope, that we are starting to see some movement to upgrading of current programs that are more important to the School in the long run, like basketball, football, baseball and maybe volleyball.  The lon-term success of the MVC and the sports that they support as a Conference should teach us something.  I am sure there are schools larger than Valpo who field fewer sports  than we do, including those for both sexes.

While I understand the immediate reaction to the news, let's take a step back, take a deep breath or two, and take a look at the overall athletic program.  These sports, and some others which may be "on the block" can "nickel and dime" a budget.  And while I am surprised and disappointed, I think I can understand after giving it some thought.  Let's hope that these moves will spur "Dear old Valpo" on to improving the core sports that can give even greater recognition and success to our School in the future through improved facilities and upgraded programs.

valpo64

In response to the post of "crusaderjoe", because we no longer have soccer and tennis programs  your children will not be interested in Valpo and you would not recommend Valpo to your family and friends?  Really?  Are you serious?

elephtheria47

How many of us here, on the diehard fan forum, have gone to a soccer or tennis match? I haven't, nor has it ever crossed my mind to go. And I live in Valpo.  I feel bad for the student athletes, but I imagine these programs dont move the needle much, financially or fandom, for the vast majority of the people who conduct business or have a vested interest at the university. Hopefully by terminating these two programs, the rest will be secure.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpo64 on November 21, 2019, 01:05:21 PM
In response to the post of "crusaderjoe", because we no longer have soccer and tennis programs  your children will not be interested in Valpo and you would not recommend Valpo to your family and friends?  Really?  Are you serious?

Yes, unfortunately, and I say this tragically because they might have been generation #3 to attend VU.  What took place, and in the manner that it did, shows an instability within the University, IMO. It's been said that athletics are the front porch of a university, and that statement couldn't be more correct. Two of my kids are athletes and they were immediately turned off by the news.  We visited Valpo over the summer actually and they liked the school.  It is a shame.

I get the fact that sports have to be cut.  Wresting, Men's Golf, Women's Gymnastics—they've all been cut at one time.  But there is a right way to do things, and I don't think the course of action taken in this instance was appropriate.

We will root for Valpo from afar.  Take care.

EDIT:  To '64, I just want to clarify my response to you.  I quoted your entire message in my response above, but my first paragraph comments are limited only to a discussion about my kids lack of interest.  I did not mean to quote the entire paragraph.  Sorry for any confusion.

EDITED AGAIN (TEXT REMOVED)

crusader05

Honestly asking,  is there a good way to cut a team?

I mean you could what you could dangle the axe over their head for longer? Make them desperately try to fund raise to stay afloat?

The University has been begging people for money for Athletics for years and it just hasn't come (17 million for the chapel addition did though). Maybe this will finally make some donors take is seriously an open up their check books but the reality is that, with the exception of the actual athletes and basketball/football fans the culture of Valparaiso University has never been one that embraced it's athletic achievements as part of their identity as Valpo students/Alums.

I mean let's be honest, this is the most action the men's soccer thread has gotten in years. People on here mostly only care about basketball and football.

JD24

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 21, 2019, 02:26:44 PMI get the fact that sports have to be cut.  Wresting, Men's Golf, Women's Gymnastics—they've all been cut at one time.  But there is a right way to do things, and I don't think the course of action taken in this instance was appropriate
So how would you have done it? Seems to me, when sports are cut at any school, it's done in this fashion.

FieldGoodie05

Right about now I think it would be advantageous for someone with knowledge of admissions and attendance at Valpo to chime in.  What % of freshman each year are legacies (related to an alumni)?  Also, what % of students do a thorough and pointed review of the school before they attend?

I suppose what I am getting at is that in 2 years I would be willing to wager no more than a handful of students are turned off by recent reduction of mens sports teams that pull no attendance (sorry soccer and tennis, I never attended a match or game and I played soccer up through high school).  Emotions are running high and I am trying to bite my tongue.

Frankly, the law school and (2) minor sports are adjustments in the school resources and will likely not be felt mid-term (5 to 10 years).  I feel doubtful that any significant contributions from alumni would have come from either of these bases.  Again, I welcome good information that says otherwise.  I hope some of us can get over the gut reaction that is anything negative as it relates to Valpo sports . . . let's focus on the teams we have and Go Valpo!

THAT MEANS YOU TOO OKLAHOMAMICK . . . .I know you are a soccer alumni but you best start chiming in on the forum again.  I'll keep texting you until then!

mj

If this is about money then maybe they should have trimmed the fat, beginning at the top. Take a look at the leadership in the first link and their salaries in the second.

https://www.valpo.edu/president/leadership/presidents-council/

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/350868125/201911359349302371/IRS990
I believe that we will win.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 21, 2019, 04:35:57 PM
Right about now I think it would be advantageous for someone with knowledge of admissions and attendance at Valpo to chime in.  What % of freshman each year are legacies (related to an alumni)?  Also, what % of students do a thorough and pointed review of the school before they attend?

I suppose what I am getting at is that in 2 years I would be willing to wager no more than a handful of students are turned off by recent reduction of mens sports teams that pull no attendance (sorry soccer and tennis, I never attended a match or game and I played soccer up through high school).  Emotions are running high and I am trying to bite my tongue.

Frankly, the law school and (2) minor sports are adjustments in the school resources and will likely not be felt mid-term (5 to 10 years).  I feel doubtful that any significant contributions from alumni would have come from either of these bases.  Again, I welcome good information that says otherwise.  I hope some of us can get over the gut reaction that is anything negative as it relates to Valpo sports . . . let's focus on the teams we have and Go Valpo!

THAT MEANS YOU TOO OKLAHOMAMICK . . . .I know you are a soccer alumni but you best start chiming in on the forum again.  I'll keep texting you until then!

I don't know if you are implicitly referencing me in your post given my comments to Valpo64, but please understand that it was not my intention to reply to this thread again at all other than to provide my original remarks at the top of this page.  I only replied again because Valpo64 created a post directed towards me specifically to address the seriousness of my remarks (and I'm guessing he was questioning the genuineness or saneness of them but I don't know).  I am sure that you are probably correct that only a handful of prospective students would be turned off by a reduction of men's athletics.  That was not the intention of my comments to Valpo64. Rather, those comments were only meant to provide clarity from where I was coming from. If I have misinterpreted your remarks, I apologize.  Anyway, this will be my last comment on the matter. 

valpo64

To "crusaderjoe" and others...while we may differ on our respective approaches to the problems of today and our reactions to decisions made by the University, it is important to the success of the University and its athletic programs that we keep our passion for success focused to  the positive direction of our overall success.  Dedicated people like yourselves need to have their voices heard.  I hope you have a change of heart after the dust settles so that you can continue to contribute to this forum.  GO VALPO!

usc4valpo

Why do you keep swimming and T&F?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 21, 2019, 05:34:23 PM

Biased as I am, I think T&F is a no brainer.  I am not certain on this, but a sizable balance of their athletes are paying the highest tuition of any of the sports.  A small handful of them are recruited with tuition incentives but the bulk walk off the street and into the coaches office guys.  This was a simple game of numbers.  21 needed to be 19 or less.

You don't cut the cash cow that is T&F.  We had only a handful of overnights and all trips were via coach buses by the junk bus line Cardinal.  We ate at Fazolis and simply put . . . I think that the actions the board took are message enough to confirm my belief all those years ago.

SanityLost17

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 21, 2019, 05:34:23 PM

I agree with Paul Oren's speculation.    Cross Country, Track, and Swimming share coaching staffs between men and women.   No real cost savings there because you would still be keeping the same staff to coach the women even if you cut the men.   No way they are cutting any women's sports due to Title IX otherwise I could see swim going before Men's Soccer.   Just shutter the pool all together because pool's are very expensive to operate.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

Bdcaus
Quote from: Valpofan2021 on November 22, 2019, 04:29:32 AMWhy not follow fellow MVC schools like Bradley, Loyola-Chicago, and Evansville's lead? Drop football and go "all in" for strong men's and women's soccer programs. Despite the number of non-scholarship athletes that football brings to Valpo, I bet the travel costs of running a program in the Pioneer League that stretches from California to NY to Florida negates any profit made from collecting tuition fees from the kids in the football program.  Nothing against the football players, but many top-notch small schools gave up on football a long time ago.

The drop football argument is ridiculous. 110 non scholarship players on roster. Thats 110 extra tuitions of male students that Valpo would otherwise not get.

#2 in ticket sales, eliminates a homecoming game. Most parents who come and spend money at University.

bbtds

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 21, 2019, 02:26:44 PMEDIT:  To '64, I just want to clarify my response to you.  I quoted your entire message in my response above, but my first paragraph comments are limited only to a discussion about my kids lack of interest.  I did not mean to quote the entire paragraph.  Sorry for any confusion.

In case posters are unfamiliar with the process to quote only part of a post. Highlight the section of the post you desire to quote and then click on the "Quote (selected)" button. Then make sure you type outside of the quote box when including your response to the quoted text.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on November 22, 2019, 06:13:54 AM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 21, 2019, 02:26:44 PMEDIT:  To '64, I just want to clarify my response to you.  I quoted your entire message in my response above, but my first paragraph comments are limited only to a discussion about my kids lack of interest.  I did not mean to quote the entire paragraph.  Sorry for any confusion.

QuoteIn case posters are unfamiliar with the process to quote only part of a post. Highlight the section of the post you desire to quote and then click on the "Quote (selected)" button. Then make sure you type outside of the quote box when including your response to the quoted text.

Thanks bbtds, trying this new trick out!  Bet it fails because, well . . . it's me.

vu72

Apparently Valpo isn't the only school feeling that Men's Soccer isn't supportable.  The Valley is now down to five schools with a program and Missouri State is the only state school with a team.

On the Women's side both Bradley and Southern Illinois do not have teams.

Given the lack of teams it tells me that there is something about soccer that either is very expensive or too difficult to attract players good enough to win.  Our team had players from something like 12 different countries.  I presume we had to fly them over to look at Valpo before committing plus the cost of recruiting internationally.  Local guys are good but not that good and I certainly know ZERO about what it takes to be a D1 Soccer player. Having said that, a guy Like Jack Eaton, who was Indiana's Mr. Soccer, ended the season coming off the bench.  Just a guess why all these schools are not committing the resources to this sport.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 22, 2019, 06:25:29 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 22, 2019, 06:13:54 AM

QuoteIn case posters are unfamiliar with the process to quote only part of a post. Highlight the section of the post you desire to quote and then click on the "Quote (selected)" button. Then make sure you type outside of the quote box when including your response to the quoted text.

Thanks bbtds, trying this new trick out!  Bet it fails because, well . . . it's me.

Success!!!!!! Bravo! 

No Quid Pro Quo

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 22, 2019, 08:56:44 AM
Apparently Valpo isn't the only school feeling that Men's Soccer isn't supportable.  The Valley is now down to five schools with a program and Missouri State is the only state school with a team.

On the Women's side both Bradley and Southern Illinois do not have teams.

Given the lack of teams it tells me that there is something about soccer that either is very expensive or too difficult to attract players good enough to win.  Our team had players from something like 12 different countries.  I presume we had to fly them over to look at Valpo before committing plus the cost of recruiting internationally.  Local guys are good but not that good and I certainly know ZERO about what it takes to be a D1 Soccer player. Having said that, a guy Like Jack Eaton, who was Indiana's Mr. Soccer, ended the season coming off the bench.  Just a guess why all these schools are not committing the resources to this sport.

I wonder if there are enough alternate opportunities for athletes to train in this sport that they don't necessarily get the best athletes in the sport. I looked on the US Mens National Soccer Team website and it doesn't show any of the colleges that the National team players attended.
Southern Illinois does puzzle me though because they are near one of the hotbeds of American soccer in St Louis. SLU, SIU-E, Missouri S&T in Rolla, MO etc. are all very talented soccer schools.

loschwitz

How many of the players on the soccer team are Hispanic?    If the University is seeking to attract a more diverse student body from within this country, it would be wise to take into consideration the popularity of soccer among significant portions of the population.   

It is hard to justify dropping soccer on the basis of cost.  It is far less expensive than American football.  If you are trying to save money, drop football. 

JD24

Quote from: loschwitz on November 23, 2019, 03:53:36 PMHow many of the players on the soccer team are Hispanic?    If the University is seeking to attract a more diverse student body from within this country, it would be wise to take into consideration the popularity of soccer among significant portions of the population. It is hard to justify dropping soccer on the basis of cost.  It is far less expensive than American football.  If you are trying to save money, drop football.
To run in terms of equipment and travel? Maybe. A lot more goes into cost than those issues. MVC now has 5 members with soccer programs.