• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Bowling 2011

Started by valpotx, November 13, 2011, 01:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Quote from: rlh on December 17, 2011, 08:32:32 AM
Quote from: valpopal on December 15, 2011, 03:43:11 PM
Maybe we could honor the women's bowling team for being the first #1 ranked Valpo team by temporarily placing their picture at the Victory Bell (below) in the forum banner?

http://i42.tinypic.com/jagufb.jpg
While I congratulate the women too, remember they are not the first number #1 ranked team we've had.....believe it or not the football team was ranked number one back in the early 2000's.  Not sure what year, I'd have to look it up, but they were there, so they probably were actually the first.

rlh, was it during the 2003 season, when we played for the PFL title with David Macchi and Rob Giancola leading the offense?

valpopal

Maybe we could honor the women's bowling team for being the first #1 ranked Valpo team by temporarily placing their picture at the Victory Bell (below) in the forum banner?

While I congratulate the women too, remember they are not the first number #1 ranked team we've had.....believe it or not the football team was ranked number one back in the early 2000's.  Not sure what year, I'd have to look it up, but they were there, so they probably were actually the first.

Apparently VU has a different standard, perhaps because football is in a subdivision and not competing at "the highest level nationally." Here are excerpts from the University statement:

"The Valparaiso University bowling team made school history this week, becoming the first athletic program to earn a #1 ranking nationally as the Crusaders ascended to the top of the National Tenpin Coaches Association (NTCA) December coaches poll."

"Valpo earned the #1 national ranking after strong performances against top competition in their first three tournaments of the season.  The Crusaders started the year with a program record 10 consecutive victories at the Greater Ozark Invitational en route to the first official tournament title in program history.  Valpo then made it back-to-back titles by capturing their own Crusader Classic, and most recently finished third at the 19-team Hawk Classic against a field that included most of the nation's top teams.

"'I am extremely proud of our bowling program for earning Valpo's first number 1 national ranking,' said Crusader athletic director Mark LaBarbera.  'When we started our program three years ago, we did so with the goal of being competitive at the highest level nationally.  This year's team has truly done that through their first three tournaments.  Coach Nantais and the women on the team have competed exceptionally on the lanes so far this year while being great representatives of the University.  We look forward to their continued success in the remainder of this season.'"

rlh

Quote from: valporun on December 17, 2011, 08:38:32 AM

rlh, was it during the 2003 season, when we played for the PFL title with David Macchi and Rob Giancola leading the offense?
That sounds right....surprised the Athletic Department didn't acknowledge it, but then it might be because it's a subdivision...not sure....It takes nothing away from the Bowling team either way.

bbtds

So that means the football team went from ranked #1 to ranked last in only 8 short years? Yikes!

covufan

Quote from: rlh on December 17, 2011, 11:43:42 AM
Quote from: valporun on December 17, 2011, 08:38:32 AM

That sounds right....surprised the Athletic Department didn't acknowledge it, but then it might be because it's a subdivision...not sure....It takes nothing away from the Bowling team either way.

I believe the rankings at that time were for Division I-AA Non-Scholarship.  It included two conferences - Pioneer and one other, but not Ivy League.

agibson

Not as many bowling teams as basketball, teams for sure.  I'm having trouble turning up the list just now.  But, bowling is first of 60 or so?  Instead of first of thirty or so, I guess, in the football poll?

vu72

Are you guys on drugs?  First in football?  Maybe in 1923 or so but we are talking about being ranked Number One in the nation--any division.  Surely we were number one in the Pioneer League but we sure weren't number one in the non-bcs level D1, let alone being ranked a head of say, Ohio State.  The Bowling Team is the first to be ranked as THE TOP TEAM in the nation, not some sub-division.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

Quote from: vu72 on December 17, 2011, 03:55:35 PM
Are you guys on drugs?  First in football?  Maybe in 1923 or so but we are talking about being ranked Number One in the nation--any division.  Surely we were number one in the Pioneer League but we sure weren't number one in the non-bcs level D1, let alone being ranked a head of say, Ohio State.  The Bowling Team is the first to be ranked as THE TOP TEAM in the nation, not some sub-division.
Sorry, but we were ranked number 1 in Non=scholarship football.  I'll look it up when I have time, but I promise you it is true....for at least 2 or 3 weeks

valpotx

Yes, can't believe I forgot that we were #1 for several weeks at the end of the 2003 football season.  We were #1 in the non-scholarship division, so it did not include the likes of Montana, Georgia Southern, etc.  I believe it was #1 of 35-40 teams, no Ivy League either as valporun mentioned.  That team was pretty good, and I think we were ahead of some scholarship D1-AA teams in the RPI area.
"Don't mess with Texas"

rlh

I haven't been able to find the football newsletter that ranked non-scholarship teams, as well as other divisions.  I suspect it is no longer in existence.  That's probably why it isn't officially acknowledged, because it was a newsletter that was published, not anything official.  I do remember during the old voy.com message board days, of which I was the moderator, we made a very big deal about it.  Maybe Chef can remember who it was that had those rankings, I've gotten too old, but it did happen.

valpo04

Quote from: rlh on December 18, 2011, 07:52:13 AM
I haven't been able to find the football newsletter that ranked non-scholarship teams, as well as other divisions.  I suspect it is no longer in existence.  That's probably why it isn't officially acknowledged, because it was a newsletter that was published, not anything official.  I do remember during the old voy.com message board days, of which I was the moderator, we made a very big deal about it.  Maybe Chef can remember who it was that had those rankings, I've gotten too old, but it did happen.

I can only find the Dopke College Sports Report and Don Hansen's (those were used to rank D1-AA non-scholarship) final rankings for 2003, where Duquense is #1 and Valpo is #2/3. 

valporun

Maybe it was the Hansen poll that we were all noticing then? I do remember hearing that poll being used a lot in 2004, when I found the voy.com board we had. I just want to see Valpo football get back there, and we're in our "baby steps" mode right now, but it will happen with the Dale Carlson Valparaiso Crusader football teams to come.

rlh

Quote from: valpo04 on December 18, 2011, 09:22:26 AM
Quote from: rlh on December 18, 2011, 07:52:13 AM

I can only find the Dopke College Sports Report and Don Hansen's (those were used to rank D1-AA non-scholarship) final rankings for 2003, where Duquense is #1 and Valpo is #2/3. 
I believe it might have been the Don Hansen report and we were ranked number one early in the season as I remember, 2 or 3 at the end.

valpotx

Does anyone know where in Arlington this next tournament is?  I just saw the scrollbar pop up saying Valpo would be bowling there, and it is only 5 minutes from my house.  I might have to make it out, as it is very rare to have Valpo sports in area!  I think the last area sport was women's basketball at the University of North Texas several years ago.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I just looked at the Prairie View A&M athletics website, and the tourney will be at the Bowling International Training & Research Center.

Link to athletics story from PVAMU:
http://www.pvpanthers.com/news/2012/1/31/BOWL_0131121900.aspx

bbtds

International Bowling Training and Research Center TV Feature

youtube video of the purpose of the International Bowling Training and Research Center

The IBC, located at 621 Six Flags Drive, is in close proximity to the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium, the Rangers Ballpark and the Six Flags Over Texas theme park. The 100,000-plus square foot IBC complex will house more than 200 employees.  At 2:30 pm on January 25, the campus will open its doors with a historic ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by a star-studded gathering of national and local celebrities. 

It's just south of Six Flags and east of the Rangers Ballpark. Take Landry Frwy (I-30) to TX360 and go south. Take the exit for Six Flags Dr. and turn right. Go by all the motels for Six Flags, Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark and then cross Road to Six Flags and the ITRC is on the right.

valpotx

I forgot that the Bowling Hall of Fame & Bowling HQ is located in Arlington now.  Makes sense why they would have this tourney there now
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

For those who would like to see the #1 in the nation womens bowling team in action and are not in Texas here is a way to view the exciting action.

http://talktenpin.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6984&Itemid=123

"will be broadcast live on www.bowl.com during all three days of the tournament."

http://www.youtube.com/bowltv

p.s. if you click on the archived 5 plus hour bowling section from Friday's bowling go to about the 1:38:00 mark to see Valpo bowl against Arkansas State in a baker bowl format.

bbtds

Valpo is bowling so well at the Prairie View A& M Invitational that they switched the camera over to the Valpo match. They are on fire!!!

Valpo as a team just passed the 1100 barrier in I assume is match 2.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on February 04, 2012, 11:38:44 AM
Valpo is bowling so well at the Prairie View A& M Invitational that they switched the camera over to the Valpo match. They are on fire!!!

Valpo as a team just passed the 1100 barrier in I assume is game 2.

I see Arkansas State and TSU.  Whatchou talkin' about, Willis?

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 04, 2012, 11:47:09 AM

They switched back. The announcer said Arkansas State, the #1 so far, bowled around an 800. Valpo bowled over an 1100 against Prairie View A&M.

Valpo has pink shirts on today for breast cancer awareness.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on February 04, 2012, 11:52:23 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 04, 2012, 11:47:09 AM

They switched back. The announcer said Arkansas State, the #1 so far, bowled around an 800. Valpo bowled over an 1100 against Prairie View A&M.

I did notice Valpo is in 4th place.

StlVUFan

I'd kill for the kind of consistent hook I'm seeing, by the way ;)

There's no way to choose which match you want to watch, I take it?

bbtds

Just found out in the www.bowl.com chat room that Valpo has their own feed on ustream at

Valpo Bowling

Valpo's in pink.

By the way I understand most of the cheering at this Invitational is coming from the Valpo fans.

StlVUFan

Thanks.  Hard to tell what the score is or who is winning, but that's okay.  3/4ths of my attention span is on ESPN2 anyway.