• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Loyola 2/16 7pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, February 16, 2022, 02:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

In Chicago we hit 53% from the field and over 40% from three, but the refs awarded Loyola thirteen more free throws (including two questionable technicals) than Valpo in the double overtime loss. 

It would be great to see the same effort from the Beacons on our home court.  With any luck Gerry Pollard won't be assigned this game.
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 16, 2022, 02:27:48 PM
In Chicago we hit 53% from the field and over 40% from three, but the refs awarded Loyola thirteen more free throws (including two questionable technicals) than Valpo in the double overtime loss. 

It would be great to see the same effort from the Beacons on our home court.  With any luck Gerry Pollard won't be assigned this game.

Refs from last game with Loyola:

Officials:  Gary Maxwell, Rick Crawford, Tyler Kumpf. 

justducky

Got busy this afternoon so will not attend. Generally when that happens we play outstanding basketball.

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2022, 03:32:15 PMWe always play loyola tough.

Standard disclaimer! Past results are no guarantee of future performance.  ::) The Ramblers also destroyed us at the ARC last year. I was glad the Covid restrictions kept me out of the building!

NativeCheesehead

Can't get the band together for this game. Jeebus.

VUSWIM08-12

We need this one badly, a quality win would go a long come Arch Madness. Least there is a nice crowd and student section! Come on Po'

covufan

Can we play 40 minutes like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vuny98

Up 6 at half with Taylor and King a combined 0-6 shooting. We need them to hit some shots in the 2nd half.

NativeCheesehead

Oh look, it's the Chesterton basketball club for halftime. Again.

tjjvalpo

Once again, Sheldon tries to do it all by himself. Play team basketball!

Chairback

Why has Ben been out the last 3 minutes?  Our best player. 

mj

Sigh. Had multiple opportunities to win this game but couldn't come through. The Matt Lottich special.
I believe that we will win.

AlecPeters101

I have said it once and I'll say it again. I hate watching Sheldon Edwards play basketball.

valpotx

Good God.  For as good as Sheldon was for the majority of the game, he absolutely choked the last few minutes with horrendous turnovers.  Why the F did we not just foul with 35 seconds left, and take the chance with their 1 and 1, leaving more time to actually get a decent shot?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: Chairback on February 16, 2022, 09:01:16 PM
Why has Ben been out the last 3 minutes?  Our best player. 

My guess is because of his pitiful defense today.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

LOL, Lottich with quality end of game calls, ready for you to say it's on the players. What a waste of a season. Lottich needs to coach D3 or high school to get his  :censored: together. Lottich did call smart timeouts today finally but he can't have a complete game just like his team .

valpopal

Krikke made the last basket at 4:53 left to give Valpo 68 points. He came out at the last media timeout and never went back. Valpo scored no baskets all that time.  :banghead:

AB

That pretty much sums up the season!! Execution at the end of each half tonight! Loyola escapes, Illinois State escaped last week, Drake escaped, Charlotte escaped, Toledo escaped etc... I see a pattern. Who do we put blame on for this? LU practically gift wrapped a win for us in the last two minutes. For the exception of three games, the team has been competitive all year, but the lack of execution is perplexing.

justducky

Quote from: AlecPeters101 on February 16, 2022, 09:03:12 PM
I have said it once and I'll say it again. I hate watching Sheldon Edwards play basketball.

All of us agree but this might have been his best overall game of the season and you have to love him when he is on and defending well.

I was ok with going for the win and Sheldon was open enough to hit it. Not quite.

nkvu

Didn't watch the game but did see the final score. To paraphrase Captain Renault in Casa Blanca, "I'm shocked, shocked that losing is going on in here."

tjjvalpo

According to Luke Gore, the play they practice is Sheldon should have rushed up the court and pass the ball to a cutting Taylor for a bunny or possible foul at the hoop. But, since Sheldon decided to try to win the game himself, at least the other four guys should been hitting the boards, when Sheldon pulled up to take the shot. Neither of those scenarios happened. Luke actually said they reason the lost the game is that " the team sucked, including the coaching" (his words, not mine) in the last 5 minutes of the game. They didn't do anything that they were supposed to down the stretch. Why Lottich isn't taking control at the end is beyond me. In my mind, they suck because Lottich sucks and I got to believe, at list some of the players think they know better than him.

humbleopinion

Quote from: tjjvalpo on February 16, 2022, 11:08:34 PM
According to Luke Gore, the play they practice is Sheldon should have rushed up the court and pass the ball to a cutting Taylor for a bunny or possible foul at the hoop. But, since Sheldon decided to try to win the game himself, at least the other four guys should been hitting the boards, when Sheldon pulled up to take the shot. Neither of those scenarios happened. Luke actually said they reason the lost the game is that " the team sucked, including the coaching" (his words, not mine) in the last 5 minutes of the game. They didn't do anything that they were supposed to down the stretch. Why Lottich isn't taking control at the end is beyond me. In my mind, they suck because Lottich sucks and I got to believe, at list some of the players think they know better than him.

I found the interview with Luke fascinating.  I have never heard him express how upset he was with the officiating as he did in the interview -- he really had to work hard to restrain himself. In the post-game press conference, Thomas echoed that when he said that one one of his fouls the baseline official said that he (Kithier) had done nothing, but it was the other official's call.

Luke's inclusion of the coaching staff was an effort to temper his remarks about how upset he was with the play in the last few minutes.  Four turnovers in the closing minutes! Sheldon showed himself to be high risk/high reward across that stretch -- two steals and a rebound, but two turnovers and a missed front end. I can only imagine how frustrated the coaching staff was when  Sheldon kept the ball in his hands at the top of the key as the clock wound down in two consecutive Loyola games. 
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

Good coaches will mimic these scenarios in practice.  These circumstances are replicated in training.  If you are continuing to lose games in the last 5 minutes then practice should be dedicated to those type situations.  Some on here will argue that it's execution of the players......then put different personnel in.  It's insane that you can't do something on the training front to get a different result or outcome.

I understand Lottich was new to coaching and young when he took over.  But did he not learn what practice or end of the game situations look like from the last coaching staff?  Ok...he was too far down on the coaching staff to get a good feel on it, then go to some coaching clinics or go visit some coaching friends/peers to get better.

Lottich was a hell of a player.  Lottich is not a good student of the game or coach.  Maybe coaching just isn't his thing, at least at this level. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vuny98

A few thoughts:

- Fouls killed us, second Loyola game in a row with some very questionable calls
- King was non existent, for what should be our biggest offensive threat to score 2 points is tough
- Edwards had a great game, until he didn't. Last 5 minutes we relied on him and he showed why he can't be THE guy
- Kithier is a key to our team... and he's been out recently and this game dealing with fouls. Loyola made their runs with him on the bench.
- Again and again, end of game we suck. 1 point in the last 4:50 or so. Its unbelievable that its consistently as bad as it is.
- Of our highly touted freshman class, its the walk on that is the one that has played the best. Good for Ruedinger, hes earned a scholarship, concerning for next year with everyone else.

vu72

I thought overall we played a very solid game against a team with much more depth and size.  They kept running big guy or the next big guy at Thomas and Ben.  We played great--except the last few minutes.  To get to a place where we had a chance to win against the best team in the Valley we had to have played great--and we did.

It has been a disaster of a year and we really deserve to be playing on Thursday, but, if we had played this well during the rest of the season we would be in the top half easily.  Why we are so inconsistent is the question and, as was the case at Illinois State, in spite of having a coach who was a heck of a player and member of the alumni, they had to make a change. We do too.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015