• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler's NCAA Tournament Run

Started by valpofan56, March 17, 2011, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofan56

Can't believe there isn't a thread on this yet, but Butler looked pretty impressive today against a team that probably should have been about a 5 seed.  They looked a lot like the Butler team from last year that was winning with gritty defense and hustle.  Now they've got a tough matchup with #1 seed Pitt.

rlh

they are amazing when it counts....

valporun

Butler looks like they could be the next Gonzaga....

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2011, 12:37:26 AM
I would say they have done considerably better than Gonzaga. The respect shown by the committee this year was pretty amazing.  No way Gonzaga gets a similar seed with the same record that Butler had this year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpofan56

Quote from: FWalum on March 18, 2011, 08:00:59 AM
Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2011, 12:37:26 AM
I would say they have done considerably better than Gonzaga. The respect shown by the committee this year was pretty amazing.  No way Gonzaga gets a similar seed with the same record that Butler had this year.

I think what's really disappointing about Gonzaga is that they should be much better than they have been.  They have a brand new facility and have been arguably the second best program on the west coast after UCLA. They should be able to pull big time recruits out of the west coast area because the Pac-10 has been nothing short of awful for much of the last 5 years.

valporun

When I said that it looked like Butler could be the next Gonzaga, I was looking at success in the tournament, ability to recruit players that might not have seriously considered Butler before, and doing things that help the brand of their school to really pick up more than what it has. Gonzaga might have higher academic standards than some of the PAC-10 (Stanford not included, for obvious reasons), or, if I remember correctly, Gonzaga is a Jesuit/Catholic/Franciscan like school that might have some standards that recruits don't want to be a part of. Gonzaga definitely took advantage of the marketing of the school that the players did based on what they did on the court during the NCAA games they continue to win, and that helped with their fundraising to build the new arena. Butler could definitely become that solid mid-major Gonzaga that doesn't need to play in the Bracketbuster weekend to make their name in the NCAAs. Sure, Butler wasn't as dominant, but they knew what to do to get themselves back to the NCAAs this season.

milanmiracle

Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2011, 10:57:54 AMButler could definitely become that solid mid-major Gonzaga that doesn't need to play in the Bracketbuster weekend to make their name in the NCAAs. Sure, Butler wasn't as dominant, but they knew what to do to get themselves back to the NCAAs this season.

Now, let's note I am typing this after the Pitt win, but I think they're already there. I don't think they need the Brackebuster anymore and they're a national program at this point. The big boys aren't scared to play them because if they lose, it's not a bad loss, it's Butler. Stanford came Hinkle. That's the sign to me that you've reached the upper level of college basketball.

And I am not talking about Valpo scheduling the #1 team in the country either. Those games aren't competetive and the opponent knows it.

And yes I know Purdue come to the ARC sometimes.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

rlh

I am an admirer of the Bulldogs, and really enjoy how they do things.  It will be very interesting to see what happens after Howard (who is better than many of our fans want to give him credit for) leaves, especially if Mack leaves too.  I think that Howard gives them an intangible that not many teams have....can they continue that...who knows...only time will tell...but I am enjoying watching them play for now.....this does not mean I don't want VU to beat their heads in everytime we play them.

Valpo10

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 19, 2011, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2011, 10:57:54 AMButler could definitely become that solid mid-major Gonzaga that doesn't need to play in the Bracketbuster weekend to make their name in the NCAAs. Sure, Butler wasn't as dominant, but they knew what to do to get themselves back to the NCAAs this season.

Now, let's note I am typing this after the Pitt win, but I think they're already there. I don't think they need the Brackebuster anymore and they're a national program at this point. The big boys aren't scared to play them because if they lose, it's not a bad loss, it's Butler. Stanford came Hinkle. That's the sign to me that you've reached the upper level of college basketball.

And I am not talking about Valpo scheduling the #1 team in the country either. Those games aren't competetive and the opponent knows it.

Pitt win eh

milanmiracle

Quote from: Valpo10 on March 19, 2011, 11:16:28 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on March 19, 2011, 09:29:09 PM

Pitt win eh
Quick typing is not advised. After their Pitt victory.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado