• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Horizon League--Next Year

Started by vu72, March 23, 2011, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGPanthers

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2011, 12:13:49 PM
Fifth is fine with me, it will keep the target off our back.  Yes, we lose a lot of scoring but with the guys coming in, don't expect a big drop off, probably none. I expect us to be in the hunt again next year and, if we can keep Kevin healthy or,  if Vucic can contribute, then we can do something special.

My biggest question is, who is going to start for you guys in the post?  Here's what I have so far. Please correct me if your opinion differs.

PG - Jay Harris
WG - Matt Kenney
WG - Ryan Broekhoff
F - Kevin Van Wijk
PF - Richie Edwards?? Vucic?

dylanrocks

I would say the Crusaders are probably looking at Erik Buggs at the point, Cameron Witt at the 4 and Kevin Van Wijk at center.

JGPanthers

Quote from: dylanrocks on May 03, 2011, 01:41:59 PM
I would say the Crusaders are probably looking at Erik Buggs at the point, Cameron Witt at the 4 and Kevin Van Wijk at center.

Cameron Witt would possibly be the least effective starting 4 in the conference, and Van Wijk seems a little thin for the 5, no?

sectionee

If Witt is starting we are doomed!  Sorry Cameron.  I'm not sure we need a guy who will post up.  Driving and attacking the rim can be just as effective, assuming it can be accompanied by three point shooting.

dylanrocks

Perhaps the Crusaders go small with Buggs, Harris, Kenney, Broekhoff and Van Wijk?

zvillehaze

Quote from: dylanrocks on May 03, 2011, 02:10:21 PM
Perhaps the Crusaders go small with Buggs, Harris, Kenney, Broekhoff and Van Wijk?

That would be my guess.  Broekhoff played the 4 spot most of last season and Kenney is a physical and athletic wing who can play the 3 in this league.

Van Wijk, if healthy, is the logical starter at the 5.  If Edwards can play the 4 spot, that would give Valpo the chance to slide Ryan to the 3 and go to a more traditional lineup.  In the end, Valpo will play a lot with 3 and 4 guard lineups (just like most other HL teams).

sectionee

I think Edwards will be coming in as a starter at one of the forward positions.  I still think that Jay is coming off the bench.  He'll provide some instant offense and will probably get starter minutes each night when it is all said and done, IMO.

vu72

I,  don't see Jay as a starter either.  Erik is the point with Tommy playing the backup.  That leaves Jay, who is a scorer first, to be able to move to the 2 and play there with Ben Boggs.  Did you guys forget about the Virginia Tech transfer?  Matt is the perfect replacement for Howard Little, a little bigger and probably a better scoring threat.  Ryan of course is a starter as is Edwards.  You don't keep a 6'8" guy who is as athletic as Edwards riding the pines.

So I see (after Dec 1) Buggs, Boggs, Broekhoff, Edwards and Kenney starting, backed up by Tommy, Jay, Kevin, Cam and either Vucic or Jakovic.  That second unit could go pretty big, obviously.  With Brandon gone we still have two slots to fill and Homer will probably save one for the following year to balance out the scholarship situation

That's a team that is 9 or 10 deep.  It will be one that shares the scoring and will be plenty exciting to watch!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2011, 04:56:24 PM
I,  don't see Jay as a starter either.  Erik is the point with Tommy playing the backup.  That leaves Jay, who is a scorer first, to be able to move to the 2 and play there with Ben Boggs.  Did you guys forget about the Virginia Tech transfer?  Matt is the perfect replacement for Howard Little, a little bigger and probably a better scoring threat.  Ryan of course is a starter as is Edwards.  You don't keep a 6'8" guy who is as athletic as Edwards riding the pines.

So I see (after Dec 1) Buggs, Boggs, Broekhoff, Edwards and Kenney starting, backed up by Tommy, Jay, Kevin, Cam and either Vucic or Jakovic.  That second unit could go pretty big, obviously.  With Brandon gone we still have two slots to fill and Homer will probably save one for the following year to balance out the scholarship situation

That's a team that is 9 or 10 deep.  It will be one that shares the scoring and will be plenty exciting to watch!
I would almost guarantee that Kevin will start at the 5 if his back is OK.  If Edwards is your 5, then we're right back where we started with a guy who may not be as good a scorer.....I see Edwards as a 4.....

bbtds

I'd say Buggs, Boggs, Broekhoff, Edwards and Van Wijk. Matt Kenney may be able to beat out Edwards. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 03, 2011, 02:22:24 PM

That would be my guess.  Broekhoff played the 4 spot most of last season and Kenney is a physical and athletic wing who can play the 3 in this league.

Van Wijk, if healthy, is the logical starter at the 5.  If Edwards can play the 4 spot, that would give Valpo the chance to slide Ryan to the 3 and go to a more traditional lineup.  In the end, Valpo will play a lot with 3 and 4 guard lineups (just like most other HL teams).

I figure this is the most likely starting five of any posted so far.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

then who slides in to replace kevin on nights when his back acting up? edwards?

dylanrocks

Depth on the interior appears to be something of a question mark for the Crusaders.

Still, reading what 72 has posted about the prospective two-deep, I'm as convinced as ever that there's a definite split between the upper five and lower five programs in the league.

Last year, that division existed between teams Nos. 6 and 7.

vu72

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 03, 2011, 11:19:35 PM

It's a very legit question!  I think Homer will try to get some minutes from Cam or Vuc.  Cam is a foul waiting to happen and Vuc is a total unknown.  If Vuc can help by next year it will make a world of difference.

Assuming niether Cam or vuc can help materially, then I'm guessing Edwards goes to the middle, Ryan to the 4 and Matt to the 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

blackpantheruwm

Predicting Valpo's starting lineup is looking more grim than I thought.  You're lucky your bench was pretty good last year!

vu72

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on May 04, 2011, 11:40:54 AM
Predicting Valpo's starting lineup is looking more grim than I thought.  You're lucky your bench was pretty good last year!

So, starting Ryan Broekhoff, a Virginia Tech transfer, Erik Buggs, Kevin Van Wijk and a Junior College stud (first team all district and loads of international experience) is:  GRIM????????  We will see how you feel next year!

rlh

We still have a tremendous amount of depth developed during this past season.  The cupboard certainly isn't bare, and if we can solve the inside problem to any degree, we will be very tough to handle.  We may not win 23 games again, but I wouldn't be surprise...and if we can play Broekhoff at the 3 where he belongs, he might be hell to hold....just my thoughts..

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on May 04, 2011, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 03, 2011, 11:19:35 PM

It's a very legit question!  I think Homer will try to get some minutes from Cam or Vuc.  Cam is a foul waiting to happen and Vuc is a total unknown.  If Vuc can help by next year it will make a world of difference.

Assuming niether Cam or vuc can help materially, then I'm guessing Edwards goes to the middle, Ryan to the 4 and Matt to the 3.

cam has one huge benefit over vucic: he doesn't look lost in his body. every time i saw vucic last year, in practice or games, it was only a matter of time before he was tripping over his feet and flailing his arms around like an out of control helicopter. if this manages to improve over the course of this offseason, perhaps there is some hope. but right now, he reminds me more of a bumbler than anything useful.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on May 04, 2011, 01:04:52 PM

So, starting Ryan Broekhoff, a Virginia Tech transfer, Erik Buggs, Kevin Van Wijk and a Junior College stud (first team all district and loads of international experience) is:  GRIM????????  We will see how you feel next year!

Not grim at all.  Looks like next year will be the return to glory.

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 04, 2011, 08:13:09 PM

I'm amazed at how much more certain fans of other teams know about our team than we do.  Impressive.   

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on May 04, 2011, 08:48:12 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on May 04, 2011, 08:13:09 PM

I'm amazed at how much more certain fans of other teams know about our team than we do.  Impressive.   

I don't claim to know more than you guys over here, but I do have an interest and enjoy the discussion. 

zvillehaze

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 03, 2011, 02:22:24 PM

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/

It seems that I finally agree with Lazerus.  Well, to be fair, he agrees with Dylan and me, since we made our posts first. 

vu72

Interesting analysis but, Ben Boggs WILL be eligible in January, then, have one year after next at a minimum.  They are petitioning the NCAA for a third year as he only played 4 or 5 games his spohomore year at Tech.

In any event Boggs is a guy who was a first team Virginia player as a JUNIOR.  He broke his leg and missed his senior year.
The guy will be a tough defender and a scorer.  So, now what Mr. Lazerus??  We will get one more player and probably hold the other for the following year.  If the new guy can add anything then what do we do?  Redshirt Dino??

milanmiracle

I am with you on this one. I am not too excited about next year with the loss of Brandon Wood AND Cory Johnson. That team finished 4th, and we expect better with their absence? Hmm...

Hope springs eternal...I guess.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on May 08, 2011, 03:23:30 PM

I am with you on this one. I am not too excited about next year with the loss of Brandon Wood AND Cory Johnson. That team finished 4th, and we expect better with their absence? Hmm...

Hope springs eternal...I guess.

if what we have coming in meshes well with what we have returning, i can understand the optimism. if the adjustment period stretches through november and december and into conference play, we may be in some trouble.

anybody know if we're planning another preseason tourney somewhere to capitalize on that extra practice time in august?