• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Is Butler now a "Major"?

Started by crusaderjoe, March 25, 2011, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusaderjoe

I say yes. 

Coupled with their recent successes and back to back Elite 8 appearances, one would have to think so.  Back to back Final Four appearances would erase any doubt.  We're not talking "flash in the pan" crapola here.  We're talking about the cultivation of program that has had some unparalleled successes at the mid-major level.  I think they have elevated out of the mid-major mold.

And no, by posting this I'm not indulging the rhetoric some have complained about on this board, nor am I a closet Butler admirer.  I'm just calling it like I see it.

rlh

I don't know if would classify them as a "major"....I think that is a conference designation more than a program...but I would agree with no hesitation that they are certainly playing at a "major" level.  They certainly are playing better in the tournament than they did for much of the regular season, and I'm rooting for them all the way.  It will be fun to see if they can take it another game or even three

agibson

What would it take for Whelliston to exempt them from mid-majority coverage?  He has a list of criteria, and discussed it recently - maybe even for Butler in particular. Past exemptions have included the likes of Gonzaga, Memphis, and Xavier.

A better TV deal would be one factor.

nkvu

A
Quote from: agibson on March 25, 2011, 11:39:24 AM
What would it take for Whelliston to exempt them from mid-majority coverage?  He has a list of criteria, and discussed it recently - maybe even for Butler in particular. Past exemptions have included the likes of Gonzaga, Memphis, and Xavier.

To me a BCS conference school will always be considered a major.  A school from a mid major conference can play at the "major" level but must continuously sustain that level of play or they can slip back to mid major status.  Indiana State when Larry Bird was there played at a major level.  As soon as he left, they slipped back.

Xavier is the program I'm most familiar with, and Butler certainly compares favorably with them.  X has probably sustained a high level longer, but Butler has done as well and better recently.  If X is major, then Butler certainly is now.  Doesn't mean either program couldn't slip back , though.  Let either school stop beating major schools frequently, fail to make the NCAA tournament for 3 or 4 years, or go one and done in the tournament consistently, and you would see their perception as major drop.

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on March 25, 2011, 01:37:18 PM
A

To me a BCS conference school will always be considered a major.  A school from a mid major conference can play at the "major" level but must continuously sustain that level of play or they can slip back to mid major status.  Indiana State when Larry Bird was there played at a major level.  As soon as he left, they slipped back.

Xavier is the program I'm most familiar with, and Butler certainly compares favorably with them.  X has probably sustained a high level longer, but Butler has done as well and better recently.  If X is major, then Butler certainly is now.  Doesn't mean either program couldn't slip back , though.  Let either school stop beating major schools frequently, fail to make the NCAA tournament for 3 or 4 years, or go one and done in the tournament consistently, and you would see their perception as major drop.

Can you name some schools that were once major and have slipped and dropped back to mid-major?  De Paul?

StlVUFan

Funny.  I was just thinking about that, and DePaul was the first one that came to mind as a major team that is playing at a mid-major level.  Talk about bottom feeder.  I honestly don't know where they would rank if they were the Horizon League, they have gotten so terrible.

milanmiracle

I've got to say, DePaul has had a BIG fall from grace. I know they're still a major by default of being a Big East member, but WOW. Joey Meyer would seem like a dream now. I can't imagine what Ray Meyer would think of all this. I'd love to see Greg Tonagel in that spot (since there's 0% chance he ends up at Valpo), but he'd have to have a couple years at the MAC/Horizon League level before he'd be considered for that job.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

nkvu

Quote from: bbtds on March 25, 2011, 04:53:59 PM
A

Can you name some schools that were once major and have slipped and dropped back to mid-major?  De Paul?

If you go back a ways, you have the University of San Fransisco who won back to back NCAA Tournaments in the 50's, and Loyola who won one in the 60's.  Indiana State during the Larry Bird Years played at a major Level, but quickly dropped back after he left.  De Paul if they weren't in the Big East would certainly fit the bill.

covufan

Quote from: nkvu on March 26, 2011, 10:52:56 AM
A

If you go back a ways, you have the University of San Fransisco who won back to back NCAA Tournaments in the 50's, and Loyola who won one in the 60's.  Indiana State during the Larry Bird Years played at a major Level, but quickly dropped back after he left.  De Paul if they weren't in the Big East would certainly fit the bill.

Don't forget Houston after Phi Slamma Jamma and Guy Lewis.  Where has Houston been lately?  Houston, we have a problem.

covufan

I don't think Butler is a 'Major'.  However, they have put on one of the most specatular two-year runs in NCAA since seeding began, especially for a non-BCS conference school.  This should only help Butler's recruiting for next year.

nkvu

A

Quote from: covufan on March 28, 2011, 12:18:37 PM
A

Don't forget Houston after Phi Slamma Jamma and Guy Lewis.  Where has Houston been lately?  Houston, we have a problem.

Maybe UNLV after Tark the shark left?

drewsaders11

Butler is not a major team.  They are pushing the envelope of a mid-major, however.  I would quantify them in the same group as Xavier and Gonzaga, possibly as well as Memphis.  They are all teams that are establishing a winning basketball tradition without being in a power-6 conference, and/or spending a large amount of dollars on their athletics.  Calling them a major would be similar to calling Indiana a non-major, based solely on performance the past 4-5 years.

bbtds

Channel 13 NBC in Indy pre-empted "Perfect Couples" tonight and showed a Butler Final Four special. They interviewed Brad Stevens after practice today 3/31/11 at Reliant Stadium. He said the Bulldogs were much more focused this year than the Thursday practice last year at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. Stevens said the practice went very well and that the team is very focused on the task at hand. For whatever that comment is worth.